The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 13, 2005, 02:47 PM   #51
leadcounsel

Anywhere that you don't need oil. When that stuff dries up (or becomes so expensive as to effectively be dried up) it'll be chaos.

www.lifeafterthecrash.com
www.hubbertspeak.com
www.peakoil.com
Old September 13, 2005, 06:49 PM   #52
panzer426

the moon? the moon gets hit by meteors all the time, has a lot of earthquakes and when it rotates so your house is on the dark side of the moon you better have a lot of blankets with you.

basically no place is safe in a shtf situation but then that depends on what you consider a shtf situation. nuclear war, worldwide earthquakes, volcanoes erupting, ice caps melting, ozone holes with radiation shining down, the dead looking for live human brains, vampires roaming at night, werewolves hunting during the full moon, alien invasions all happening at once??? nowhere would be safe.
Old September 13, 2005, 06:53 PM   #53
grampster

Brooks Township.
Old September 14, 2005, 09:36 AM   #54
dave_in_delaware

Kilroy08,

The original poster was only talking about natural disasters in the United States. So, I answered that way. Of course a nuclear reactor accident in NJ or refinery accident in Delaware City wouldn't be a good thing, but they're from man-made facilities.

And since we were keeping the answers to the US only, the Island of Fiji (South Pacific Ocean), and Djabouti (Eastern Africa) aren't valid. Besides, Djibouti is a desert country and very arid/dry. Fiji might have tsunami issues. Might be nice places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I still say Delaware. Just bring your inhalers and allergy medicine!

1. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (1110 rnds as of 06/18/05)
2. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (w/ blue & silver GK, gift for fiancee)
3. Ithaca Gun Company Model 37 12ga shotgun (from Grandfather)
4. Future: AR-15 build
Old September 14, 2005, 05:31 PM   #55
smince

Quote:
the moon gets hit by meteors all the time, has a lot of earthquakes
Wouldn't that be "moonquakes"
Old September 14, 2005, 06:31 PM   #56
Easy E

PA is pretty quiet

No "big" weather here. No earthquakes. Winters are usually pretty harmless. Out in the rural areas, farmland can be found for less than $2000 an acre.
Old September 15, 2005, 12:56 AM   #57
shojin

North Idaho

The panhandle of Idaho doesn't shake, flood, no volcanos, not many trees left to burn down in a forest fire, snow pack is declining, not many tourists, neonazis, (a fair number of redneck leftists).... the bark beatle may be the biggest natural threat.
Old September 15, 2005, 01:02 AM   #58
Acegoesbang

i was thinking about that here other day after katrina i am from ky but i was thinking utah lol :-)
Old September 15, 2005, 11:02 PM   #59
Boss Spearman
Registration in progress

Actually, some scientists are saying Yellowstone could have a major eruption that would destroy most of the entire northwest, including Wyoming.
Old September 16, 2005, 12:03 PM   #60
KyJim

Quote:
I would guess West Virginia, Kentucky, Arizona, would be pretty safe states as far as not any natural disasters.
Kentucky is certainly not since New Madrid Fault Line runs through the western part of the state. There's a 25% chance of a 7.5 or greater earthquake by 2040. In 1811-12, there were a series of huge earthquakes along the fault line. The Mississippi River actually flowed backwards!
Old September 16, 2005, 01:13 PM   #61
mathman

I read that if Yellowstone erupts (and they think it can be like anyday now) that pretty much everything to the East would be destroyed...millions killed...of course there are worse ways to die...right?

If Rainier erupts, there goes Northern Idaho...no place is safe folks...remember this: everyone gotta die someday.
Old September 18, 2005, 06:10 PM   #62
MountainJoe

+1 for Tennessee, east Tennessee that is. West of Nashville you have to worry about that ticking time bomb known as the New Madrid Fault.

Over here in east TN we only have the occasional small earthquake (5.0 or less, about once every 20 years ... nothing to worry about). Tornadoes do happen but they are pretty rare compared to the Midwest. Hurricanes that hit the Gulf Coast are only tropical storms by the time they get here. Flooding can be a concern sometimes in the valleys, but if you live on a mountain as I do, no problem!

No state income tax and handgun permits are shall-issue, too. I guess I better shut up before everyone moves here
Old September 18, 2005, 11:41 PM   #63
Boss Spearman
Registration in progress

Actually, I think we all pretty much cash it in if Yellowstone erupts. One scientist said survivors world wide would be measured in the thousands.

Uh, Northern Idaho is west of Yellowstone, not east....
Old September 19, 2005, 01:12 PM   #64
mathman

Quote:
Uh, Northern Idaho is west of Yellowstone, not east....
Uh...no kidding...look at my post again
Old September 19, 2005, 02:04 PM   #65
stephen426

I know this is cheating but MSN just posted this today...

http://www.slate.com/id/2126321/?GT1=6900

and this...

http://www.fema.gov/library/images/dd-1964_gif.html

Besides, you can live your life in some desolate hell hole and die of boredom or live in much more desirable places. Of course you will need to take the proper safety precautions and buy lots of insurance.

We got brushed by Katrina when she was a little catagory 1 storm and are about to get smacked by Rita in the next 2 days. Miami has been lucky and has not gotten nailed by anything big since Andrew in 1992. Even then, it passed to the South of Miami and did most of its damage in the less populated areas. I'm hoping our luck holds out but I'm putting up my shutters anyways.
Old September 19, 2005, 02:09 PM   #66
stephen426

Here is the final verdict according to Slates which was taken from the link in the previous post...

After much debate, then, we settled on Slate's "America's Best Place to Avoid Death Due to Natural Disaster": the area in and around Storrs, Conn., home to the University of Connecticut. It lies in Tolland County, which was not part of the 1999 federal disaster declaration for Tropical Storm Floyd. It's a safe 50 miles from the sound and not close to any rivers. It also has relatively easy access to a major city (Hartford) in the event an evacuation or hospitalization becomes necessary.*
Old September 19, 2005, 08:18 PM   #67
MeekAndMild

East of the Mississippi how about upstate Pennsylvania, eastern Kentucky or maybe West Virginia? You've just got to pisk your ground for protection from tornadoes and floods.

West of the Mississippi I would think that one of the mesas just south of the Permian Basin would be a pretty settled place except for wind damage. If you built an earth sheltered house that wouldn't be a problem.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old September 19, 2005, 09:58 PM   #68
gb_in_ga

Actually, where I am right now (Northern Ga) isn't all that bad. Not too cold, far enough from the coast so that the tropical stuff isn't that bad (a whole bunch better than back home in Houston), not as many twisters as back home in Tx, either. No quakes. Light snow only. Ok, there's ice storms, but not all that bad. If you get a ways away from Atlanta you should be beneath the terrorists' radar. The fishing and hunting isn't bad at all, and the state is RKBA friendly.
Old September 22, 2005, 03:17 PM   #69
czc3513

Dont forget about the supervolcano in yellowstone.
I should be ok here in Oregon.
Old September 22, 2005, 11:47 PM   #70
Boss Spearman
Registration in progress

If the supervolcano in Yellowstone erupts, Oregon will not be ok, Indiana will not be ok. The dust/ash cloud alone will cover the entire world and plunge us into the equivalent of nuclear winter.

As for the Idaho....East thing? That's what I get for reading posts after I've been up for about 28 straight hours.
Old September 23, 2005, 01:09 AM   #71
AndrewTB

Arizona would be your best bet.
Old September 23, 2005, 02:16 AM   #72
mathman

...as for me, I live in Southern California...where there are dangers like: earthquakes, fires, mudslides, smog...really bad smog, gangs, freeway shootings, high speed chases, etc...what a wonderful place to live...well, at least Disneyland is here right?
Doesn't that make it all better?
Old September 23, 2005, 02:18 AM   #73
Harley Quinn

Well I figure I will be looking to check out around the Reno and Carson city area in NV or some thing similar. Biggest little city in the country lots of country and when you want action go in for a weekend and then head for the barn.
Shoot to your hearts content and be able to breath fresh air.

Time is right, infact I am going to go there over oct 1,2,3,4.

Harley
Old September 23, 2005, 02:20 AM   #74
mathman

Quote:
Well I figure I will be looking to check out around the Reno and Carson city area in NV or some thing similar.
That's a real nice area...I hope to retire around there...seriously.
Old September 23, 2005, 04:02 AM   #75
czc3513

Hasnt the human race already survived an iceage?
Couldnt modern eskimos survive?