The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 8, 2005, 09:46 PM   #26
gddyup

Everyone talks about blizzards and tons of snow up here in the NE, but it's really not as bad as people think. Yeah, we can get TONS of snow on a given winter, but our plows and snow removal apparatus are absolutely the best in the buisness.

I live in Derry, NH and am a member of the Derry Fire Dept and I have to tip my hats to the DOT up here for their response to snow storms. They are awesome. We can literally get anywhere we want in any of our apparatus during any storm. I'd say that blizzards, as crappy as they may be with all the damn snow and cold you have to deal with, would be one of the least serious threats as far as living goes.

If I had to throw my hat in the ring about a disaster up here that had the possibility to be horrifying, it would be a successful terrorist strike on the Seabrook nuclear plant. There are contingency plans for that, but it would still be one hell of a nightmare scenario...

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
Old September 8, 2005, 10:45 PM   #27
aspen1964

..if you are worried about avoiding a possible future catastrophe..it is not so much where you live but how you live that is important...
Old September 9, 2005, 01:44 AM   #28
RWK

News Shooter . . .

Quote:
"Mohave Desert"
Before you move to the high desert, you might want to know that San Andres fault runs right through the west side of Palmdale; in fact, as you ascend on the Antelope Valley Freeway from Palmdale to Valencia, you can see a textbook illustration of the tortured rock strata in the road cuts.
Old September 9, 2005, 04:26 AM   #29
Low Key

308 Enfield

"I have to metnion that if/when the New Madrid fault goes off again pretty much everything West of Nashville is going to be in big trouble."

Yeah, you're probably right about that, seems like no matter where you go there are a different set of problems to consider. Stupid New Madrid fault line, :barf: ! I guess the goal is to minimize your risk by being in a spot where you are least likely to get nailed by a big unforseen occurance and where the weather isn't too horrible in any season.
I notice that we all tend to reccommend the part of the country we live in for various reasons. Anybody think we're all biased towards our home states?? I know that I am, I live in TN not because I have to, but because I want to and I do love it here. I hope the New Madrid fault doesn't go off anytime soon though, that would booger up my shooting plans this weekend!
Old September 10, 2005, 07:07 AM   #30
ScoutinStAugustine

".....Personally, I like southwest Florida. yea, I know we've got flooding, hurricanes, tropical storms, lots-o-lightning, water spouts/tornados, 'gators, giant roaches, poisonous snakes, choking humidity, searing heat, and more insects and reptiles than one person could count in a lifetime...but at least it's never boring!...."

And you can't surf in Wyoming...Florida's EAST coast here. Still places to shoot outdoors, lotsa gun shows, hunting, fishing, etc. I ain't going anywhere.
Old September 10, 2005, 07:56 AM   #31
smince

I live in the extreme NE corner of Alabama, near the Tn/GA border. Tornado's were all we had to worry about until one morning a couple of years ago. I was getting ready for work around 4a.m. and a 4.something earthquake shook the area.

IT CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE
Old September 11, 2005, 12:50 AM   #32
Jon N Lakeland

I'm a wimp for the cold. Rather risk the hurricanes than snow. I'm in the middle of Florida though, so I have rather less to fear than the coastal people.
Old September 11, 2005, 01:04 PM   #33
jacobtowne

Well, you can forget about where I live - hurricanes, lightning storms, floods, and tornadoes in summer, and blizzards, sub-zero cold, and ice storms in winter.
I wouldn't dream of living elsewhere.
JT
Old September 11, 2005, 02:14 PM   #34
cuate

Lukenbach, TX
Old September 11, 2005, 02:23 PM   #35
panzer426

the new madrid quake didnt just ring church bells in boston but all the way in london.
tornadoes, floods, quakes, hurricanes, volcanoes, blizzards, sandstorms, droughts, meteors, ice age, disease outbreaks, zombies .....no place is safe from everything, you cant hide from danger you can only minimize it by living someplace less likely. personally I think midwest is farely safe unless you are in a river valley or the new madrid shakes. rockies are fairly safe unless a really really bad winter hits. just dont live on the side of a volcanoe, a regularly active fault line, tornadoe alley, or gulf coast.
Old September 11, 2005, 03:16 PM   #36
roy reali

Middle Of Nowhere

In the middle of Nevada.
Old September 11, 2005, 05:24 PM   #37
Ichiro

North Dakota. The middle of North Dakota is approximately the middle of North America, and hardly anyone lives there. As for targeting populated areas for terrorism, ND is about the same as Wyoming--just not enough people to attrack the terrorists. As for bombing ND, any planes will likely be shot down long before they reach the middle of North America, and it probably would not be targeted anyway. Hurricanes, No! Tsunamis, No! COLD, YES! Occasional tornado, YES!

Should worse come to worse, assuming you have some extra gasoline, drive north to Manitoba with all of your bug-out gear. No one wants to deal with
Canada. It's just not worth the effort. Bring all the beer you can carry, too, because it will be better for bartering than US currency at that point.

~Ichiro
Old September 11, 2005, 09:34 PM   #38
Wildalaska

Quote:
North Dakota
Nope yellowstone super Volcano will take it out

WildwearealldoomedAlaska
Old September 11, 2005, 09:59 PM   #39
Kilroy08

Delaware? I beg to differ

Dave,

Where I live, if the nuclear power plant in Jersey goes.... Well, I'll just bend over and kiss my butt goodbye. And if the refinery in DE City has an accident, lots of fuel and chemicals nearby, see reaction to event #1.

If both happen together,.....

So no, DE is not the best place to hide, try the island of Fiji, that or Djabouti.

Where the heck is Djabouti???????????? Need I say more?
Old September 11, 2005, 10:19 PM   #40
CarbineCaleb

Until they get approval for it as a nuclear waste repository (which should take a few centuries at this rate), Yucca Mountain is looking pretty darned safe. It was the result of a nationwide geographic search.
Old September 11, 2005, 11:29 PM   #41
Ichiro

North Dakota

Actually, North Dakota houses nuclear silos, so it may not be the safest place to be when the SHTF. However, after getting used to that cold weather and the wind, DEATH won't seem so bad.

You know the jihadists won't go there, though. If the cold doesn't stop them, which it no doubt will, the prospect of blowing themselves up to kill only 4 or 5 disinterested locals at the truck stop won't motivate them to meet Allah.

Of course, to gain this tactical advantage, you have to actually go to North Dakota.

~Ichiro
Old September 12, 2005, 10:27 AM   #42
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
Of course, to gain this tactical advantage, you have to actually go to North Dakota.
:barf:
Old September 12, 2005, 11:24 AM   #43
SAXD9

Nobody's mentioned North Carolina. I'm in NW NC, a couple miles from Stone Mountain, and only a few more from the Blue Ridge Parkway. It'll have to be a hell of a flood to get me. Not that big of a population to be a worthy terrorist target. Mild enough winters that for the past 2 years I've ridden my motorcycle to work year round. Hurricanes don't give us much more than a little rain. Tornadoes touch down once in a while, but are rare, and seem to like chicken houses better than people houses.
Plenty of wild game in case of the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenario.
I'd say the biggest threat around here is the occasional house fire. Fires claim more life and property here than any natural disaster.
Old September 12, 2005, 06:44 PM   #44
Danzig

The Mojave Desert!! I don't care how safe that place may be...I just spent 30 days there...and that was my third rotation to the National Training Center at Ft. Irwin, I hope beyond hope that I never have to go back. In all honesty...Iraq was better on many ways.
Old September 12, 2005, 08:08 PM   #45
Ichiro

Bear with me; I just had to look this up:

"The Geographic Center of North America lies in the town of Rugby, ND. It's marked by a rock obelisk, about 15 feet tall, flanked by poles flying the US and Canadian flags. It is a monument easily missed, standing as it does in the parking lot of the Rugby Conoco station."

"Whether it’s waterfowl, upland game or big game, we’ve got it. Rugby offers these sportsmen – and women – a perfect base of operations as they plan their excursions. Fishing is a popular sport year-around..."

Average temperatures during winter months are (Fahrenheit): December 10.9, January 5.9, February 12.2. Cold for sure, but at least there's ice-fishing...

Population: 3,991

~Ichiro
Old September 12, 2005, 08:44 PM   #46
n3twrkm4n

Vermont... except the part where our nuclear reactor in New York would blow up...
Old September 13, 2005, 02:53 AM   #47
Pointer

Death Valley?
Mohave Desert?
Tonapah, Nevada...
Old September 13, 2005, 11:56 AM   #48
spacemanspiff

good heavens, don't think about alaska.
earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanos, blizzards, avalanches, zombie-eating-bears, senator ted stevens, the list of potential disasters is endless!

oh yeah don't forget dog-eating-eagles.
Old September 13, 2005, 12:29 PM   #49
Wyo Cowboy

The moon. Nothing much has happened there in centuies... well, except that brief spate of illegal immigrents in the late 60's and early 70's!
Old September 13, 2005, 02:26 PM   #50
Danus ex

Minnesota is a decent option. Like every state, it's got fairly unique wildlife and scenery (three distinct biomes here!) and the hunting and fishing is usually excellent. The Boundary Waters area is a sight to behold.

Politically, Minnesota is increasingly conservative. Minneapolis/St. Paul does not dominate the state like Chicago does Illinois, and the decline of blue-collar jobs coupled with the growth of jobs that require high education (big medical names like Medtronic and St. Jude, stuff like 3M, Best Buy, Northwest, etc) and offer higher pay means even the city itself is decreasingly liberal (everyone hates taxes). Still, our government handouts remain notoriously generous. With the exception of blind, idealistic college students, crazy liberalism in Minnesota died with Paul Wellstone. You'd still have to put up with the occasional government blunder, though.

Weather here is wacky. There's a huge annual temperature range. In the summers it's almost unbearably hot--80s and 90s and HUMID. In the (increasingly mild) winters, it can be anywhere from 35 to, well, there is no bottom I guess. Snowfall is unfortunately light these days, and huge blizzards are usually followed by increased temperatures, melting away what fell. Snow still stays on the ground in Northern Minnesota, though. Tornados and flooding happen in mostly contained, avoidable areas. Same goes for our #1 terrorist target (Mall of America, in Bloomington).

One side-effect of the weather is that once you get used to it (I'm a native), you might hate everything else. Constant sunny days really bother me. You also like the cold. It's 70 degrees right now, which is at the very high end of my 'tolerable' zone. I like between 40 and 60. Fortunately, it's on the way!

Also, real, native Minnesotans are chilly, quiet people. You won't encounter many in the cities, though (I swear everyone here is from Wisconsin). Something to keep in mind. It's a great place, just don't tell everyone . It already seems too crowded.