The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 6, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Rjmurrayjr

Winchester model 70 leaves the US?

According to Carter's country's recent weekly ad the winchester model 70 had produced its last US rifles. Does anyone have an info on this. I hope I have stumbled on false information
Old November 6, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
kraigwy

I heard that.

So I did a google and bling search. All I could find was that Winchester did stop making the Model 70........................but that was in 2006, and it was US Repeating Arms.

Nothing recient.

The Comes FN, They bought the rights to the Winchester Model 70 and are making them IN THE US. (Which in my opinion, is the best Model 70 Produced and I have lots of them).

Can't find nothing about FN stopping production or having them produced else where.

I wouldn't worry about it until I see one stamped "Made Elsewhere".

I heard a lot of stories (rumers) some good, some bad, about the Model 70, most false.

I've been a Winchester fan since I shot (shot out the barrel) of a Model 70 in the very early 60s.

I think I told that story. My father was in the Air Force and was stationed at Eielson AFB east of Fairbanks.

We rented a house on Badger (6 Mile) Road. In the basement we found a 55 gal drum almost half full of loose mil surplus '06 rounds.

My father went to Special Services and checked out a Model 70 and my brother and I commenced to get rid of that ammo. We did, and I fell in love with the Model 70 right then.

Now back to my search to find a couple beat up model 70s I can get cheap. I have a few plans on putting together a 260 Rem LRP Rifle. Maybe another 270 Win.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 7, 2012, 01:14 AM   #3
jmr40

The model 70 is the only USA made Winchester. The shotguns and levers have all been made overseas for a while now. Perhaps someone misquoted some info in an ad. The South Carolina guns are well made and quite popular, I'd be surprised it they moved production off shore, but who knows. This is new to me as well.
Old November 7, 2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Rjmurrayjr

i agree jmr40. i have the model 70 sporter from the S.C plant with MOA trigger, and the quality is outstanding. i hope to buy a couple more as long as they are made here in America.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

FN didn't "buy the rights to the Model 70".

FN has owned the "Winchester" firearms operation & licensed branding for several years.
When FN closed the USRAC plant (which it owned) in 2006, it retained the Winchester rights then & through a later re-licensing from Olin Corp through Browning, also owned by FN.

FN later brought the 70 back, made in its South Carolina plant. Other "Winchesters" are built overseas, imported by Browning for FN.
Denis
Old November 7, 2012, 10:55 AM   #6
jmr40

That is all true, but there is nothing to keep FN from moving production of the 70's overseas just like the other Winchesters. I've not heard anything of this before now, and would be surprised if FN made such a move, but it is certainly possible.

My gut feeling is that someone was misquoted in the ad mentioned in the OP and all of this will prove to be false. But on the other hand FN's SC factory was built to make military rifles, not sporting arms. I could see the logic of keeping that factory for military production and moving the 70 to the same overseas factory where the other Winchesters are being built. I hope not, but it is feasable.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:59 AM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

If they do move the 70 to Miroku, you can expect excellent quality, a jump in pricing, and "BAC" stamping on the barrel.
Denis
Old November 7, 2012, 08:44 PM   #8
gman3

They have "Made in USA -BACO-" stamped on the barrel now. They are made in Columbia, S.C. Just bought one, 30-06 Featherweight Stainless. Took it deer hunting last week.

Sat in blind for 30 minutes...3 shots, 3 deer. 1 at 365 yards, 1 shot DRT. 15 minutes later, 2 more together at 270 yards...2 shots 2 deer DRT. Needless to say, I am quite pleased with it.

It shoots the first two shots touching, if you shoot a third, its about a half inch to the right. Well under and inch with only about 30 rounds fired through it. As an added bonus, it is also a very nice looking rifle, awesome piece of walnut.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:29 PM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

Interesting.
The importer's name is required to be on foreign-made guns, which is why the BACO is on the Mirokus & other non-domestic "Winchesters", but I can't see a legal requirement for it to be on the So. Carolina 70s.
Denis
Old November 8, 2012, 04:21 PM   #10
jmr40

BACO stands for Browning Arms CO. which owns Winchester among others. I can understand them having that on guns made by divisions of the parent company. They used to stamp GM on Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac etc.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:57 PM   #11
Ridgerunner665

Where does FN build their bolt actions...SPR's and such?

If they moved production of the M70 anywhere that would be the logical choice...considering the similarities of the two.

I doubt they'll move production anywhere though...they are quite proud of being able to stamp them "Made in the USA"...even on handguns, also made in Columbia, SC.

Quote from the website...
Quote:
Made in the USA

All FN handguns, excluding the Five-seveNĀ®, are manufactured at the state-of-the-art manufacturing facility located in Columbia, SC, as well as the M240 line of medium machine guns, M249 line of light machine guns, the MK 46, MK 48, M16 and FN 303.

Last edited by Ridgerunner665; November 8, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:04 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

Again: Browning is owned by FN. There is no "Winchester" company anymore, as such. The old US Repeating Arms company (successor to the Winchester firearms company initially and by the end of its existence only the New Haven factory operation) was also owned by FN. Browning has never "owned" any part of the Winchester firearms operation under any version of its manufacture.

Browning licenses the Winchester name from Olin Corp, who owns it & still uses the Winchester brand for its ammunition branch.

Browning obtained the current Winchester licensing rights when they came up for option a couple years back & did so to enable Browning to act as FN's US importer & distribution network for foreign & domestic Winchester-branded guns.
There is no plant or manufacturing facility that Browning owns & no Winchester company for Browning to own.
Browning doesn't own the South Carolina FN factory.
I'm not aware of any other company that Browning owns. It manufactures nothing itself.
Browning is not a "parent company".

I know what BACO stands for, and as I said I can understand it being on imports, but not on domestic production.
Denis
Old November 8, 2012, 10:09 PM   #13
Ridgerunner665

I don't really give a rats behind where they build them....

As long as they keep building them with quality like they are now, I'll keep buying them because there is no other option that I see.

I don't like Savage, refuse to spend even 1 cent on anything thats says Remington, never cared for Browning bolt actions either, Tikka just doesn't do it for me...

I hope they keep them right there in SC, but if they don't....then I just hope they keep the quality going.