The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 17, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1
CCCLVII

SBS an 1887 clone?

I am thinking of making an 1887 SBS. I was originally thinking a pump but recently shot a lever shotgun and discovered that it holds an extra round compared to a pump.

What do you think? would this be doable.
Old August 18, 2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

Yep. All you need is an approved form 1.
Old August 18, 2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Hawg

The IAC 97 pump holds seven rounds if you clip a few coils off the mag spring and will slam fire if that tickles your fancy.
Old August 18, 2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Deja vu

Even with a little 7 inch barrel it should hold 4 rounds.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 28, 2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Deja vu

I have been pondering getting a Sebu super shorty for some time. I think I may opt for a lever action for the extra round. If I do it as an SBS I can even trade out the pistol stock for a shoulder one if I so choose.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 29, 2013, 05:11 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Yep. All you need is an approved form 1."

Oh, and some machines and tools. And skill. The 1887 would not be an easy gun to make, at least not the way it was made back when.

And remember, if you get Form 1 approval to make a gun, YOU have to make at least the frame. You can't get anyone to make it for you, or take part in the actual making unless he has a manufacturer's license. YOU have to make the frame, then you can buy the other parts or have them made.

Jim
Old August 29, 2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

Quote:
YOU have to make at least the frame.
YOU are dead wrong. When you file a form 1 on an existing firearm you become the NEW manufacturer. YOU must engrave YOUR NAME and CITY and STATE on the existing receiver. In characters at least 1/16" high and .003" in depth.
All caps is not required.

There are a number of importers bringing in 1887 clones that are more than suitable for making into a SBS.

After YOU have YOUR approved form 1 in hand and YOU have engraved YOUR information on the firearm, YOU can even have someone else work on the firearm. It is important that you be there the entire time the work is being done. This is because the firearm is now your NFA controlled property and if you left it with a gunsmith that is not a 02 SOT (manufacturer) you would have illegally transferred the gun. Do YOU understand?

Last edited by Willie Lowman; August 29, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old August 29, 2013, 05:56 PM   #8
BillM

Quote:
And remember, if you get Form 1 approval to make a gun, YOU have to make at least the frame. You can't get anyone to make it for you, or take part in the actual making unless he has a manufacturer's license. YOU have to make the frame, then you can buy the other parts or have them made.
Ummm---no. Where the heck did you get the idea that to make a SBS
you actually had to manufacture the receiver?
Old August 29, 2013, 10:27 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Misunderstanding. If the receiver already exists, you are correct. Somehow, I got the idea the OP was going to make the gun from scratch, not just cut the barrel on an existing gun. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Jim
Old September 10, 2013, 12:20 AM   #10
Deja vu

I think some thing like this only a little shorter would be pretty sweet

not my image, just found it with google search.