The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 26, 2012, 09:56 AM   #1
NWGlocker

Reloading from closed mag pouches

Good thread in this forum talked about bullets forward versus back. Which made me start wondering. In the concealed carry world, I'm wondering how many people do EDC with an open mag pouch. Most conceal pouches cover a lot, if not most of the magazine. Many have velcro flaps or snaps, some are IWB, some might be horizontal and not vertical. Then there's the pants pocket carry.

Anyone know of threads/links/videos that shows how one reloads from waist carried concealed magazines? I can't find anything yet.
Old August 26, 2012, 05:10 PM   #2
9mm

Mine are in a blackhawk double magazine pouch which is velcro shut. The velcro helps keep some dirt/dust out, and keeps them from falling out if I was to flip upside down or something like that.
Old August 26, 2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Dwight55

My IWB carry is 1, 2, or 3, . . . butt up, . . . bullets facing back, . . . open top, . . . never have had a problem.

Shoulder holster is butt down, . . . back to back (2 mags thick), . . . flap & snap holds them up in the pouch. Again no problems.

We carried them in canvas carriers, . . . butt up, . . . snap over flap all over RVN, . . . same result.

Personally think it is a non issue, . . . at least for me.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 26, 2012, 07:34 PM   #4
pax

I carry my spare magazine in a reverse cant mag pouch from Desbiens Gun Leather (DGL). There's a picture at http://www.desbiensgunleather.com/wp...0/IMG_2292.jpg

Never had a problem using it, and because I have girly curves, the deep cant allows me to carry it without it grinding the top of the magazine into my rib cage as other types of mag carriers do.

pax
Old August 27, 2012, 05:37 PM   #5
ltc444

I carry mine in a double holder with two snap flaps. They have the bullets pointing to the rear. I pop the snap with my middle finger, grasp the mag with my thumb third and 4th finger. Draw the mag into my palm as I snap my wrist forward. Slap the mag into the mag well and release the slide.
Old August 30, 2012, 10:58 AM   #6
kraigwy

I used speedloaders in closed pouches (remember real cops use revolvers).

I always kept them snapped shut. At times I would see if it was any faster leaving the holders locked.

I couldn't tell. You practice and get use to a close pouch, it wont make any difference.

Leaving them unsnapped or open you will notice when your speed loaders or clips flying across a bar room floor while you're wrestling drunks.

Thats police work, It works the same in SD carry in every day life. Like when I'm horse back riding. If I fall off, I don't want to spend the morning going through the brush looking for my speed loaders.

I can get my loaders (or mags) out of a snaped case with one hand while I'm dumping empties (or mag) with my shooting hand.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 30, 2012, 11:13 AM   #7
zincwarrior

Quote:
Mine are in a blackhawk double magazine pouch which is velcro shut. The velcro helps keep some dirt/dust out, and keeps them from falling out if I was to flip upside down or something like that.
I have a magazine in a utility knife holster, complete with old style snap on the cover. I like it as it as its easy to open with just a snap, and completely covers all fo the magazine except the top bit of two edges, making it look like a tool, phone, or pocket knife - anything but a .45ACP magazine. Although I'm a Hawaiian shirt guy 99% of the time when CHLing, I feel perfectly comfortable wearing it OWB in a dress shirt. Also. I have the magazine with bullets facing forward oin same manner as IDPA. I'm more comfortable the other way, but as I practice and draw with it forward, I'm ure I'd get confused in a real BG situation.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:06 PM   #8
oldandslow

nwg, 8/31/12

I have tried a number of IWB and OWB mag pouches, both open and closed top. I finally settled on a IWB, open top, on the opposite side of my pistol. It seems to balance out the weight and doesn't snag on stuff as much as the OWB's.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old August 31, 2012, 08:57 AM   #9
ClydeFrog

covered vs open(open top) magazine holders...

For a brief period, I considered using the open top style spare magazine holders but in the end, chose to keep using the covered style.
Dirt, crud, dust, lint, etc can eek it's way into your spare magazines.
Open styles may be faster but I prefer to protect the spare mag(s) from damage.
I've also noticed the sharp edges or metal in pistol magazines can rip clothes or tear skin. Ouch!

ClydeFrog
Old August 31, 2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Straightshooter629

I carry my spare mags in an ElPaso Saddlery double mag carrier. The mags ride with the rounds down.
Old August 31, 2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Steviewonder1

When I carry my 6 inch Colt Python in my "Dirty Harry" shoulder holster under my Sunday Best Suit, my two reloads are in the original Dade Speed Loader twin pouch just under the left side tie down of the holster. Very efficient and the 3rd speed loader is in the left outside pocket of my dress coat. That is 24 rounds of Remington 125 Gr. Golden Saber Ammo to take care of the bad guys. Dade Screw Machine Products Company made the first Push Speed Loaders for the Colt Pythons in the Movie "Magnum Force". I have 6 of them and they still work and function flawlessly. They are way better then the Push and then Turn the release knob on the other brands. Just shove them in and push the top tab to release them. My Milage does not vary unless I am carrying one of my Twin Glock G-19's!
Old August 31, 2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Mello2u

I use a combo mag & flashlight pouch, open style.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...P1010978-1.jpg

dillionprecision.com is where I got it. They describe it as "SOS-DL One Magazine, One Tactical Light Pouch".
" Frederic Bastiat