The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 20, 2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Willie Lowman

Knives. What kind and how many for your hunts?

Whitetails are pretty much my game of choice. I have come to the conclusion years ago that I should have two very sharp knives with me when I take to the field.

Last year I used a Entrek Badger and a Benchmade Griptillian (EDC knife). This year I would like to find a gut hook knife.

When I am just out bumbling around in the woods I will sometimes take my K-Bar.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My father brought back some lightweight wood-handled folding pocket knives from Germany. Solingen, about a 3" blade, maybe a bit longer. Plenty good for field dressing and skinning. It doesn't take much of a knife for Bambi.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Pahoo

Too many good Choices !!

Quote:
It doesn't take much of a knife for Bambi.
So very true and knew and old-timer that only used a pocket knife on everything. Lately, I mostly use Kershaw and Columbia River. Both are under-rated and great quality. ...

As far as a gut-hook, that's is certainly your call but personally I pass on these for a number of reasons. Instead, I use a standard utility knife with a carpet cutting blade. ...

By the way, nothing wrong with the two you have pictured ...

Be Safe !!!
Old March 20, 2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Panfisher

Since I like knives I usually have several between my pocket, belt and fanny pack. I really like a simple cheap knives for some of the work. The small Sheffield utility knives with a "carpet hook" blade work well for lots of things including splitting the skin on the legs, stick the point in and slice it as far as you want, $8 plus a pack of hook blades makes a small dent in finances. Gut hooks I am not a user of them, just used to guiding my blade with finger on off hand. Personally if I were to buy one I would look at one of the Gerber EZ zip tools, nothing more than a utility knife blade int a plastic holder, strictly for splitting not for skinning, also pretty cheap.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Keg

I just use a carbon bladed trapper....I have been collecting knives since I was in my teens....Many of these knives made today are made in China..and they are junk....
Old March 20, 2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Willie Lowman

Wanting a gut hook comes from having a few friends and neighbors sing praises to the design.

Stihl used to sell folding knives at the Paul Bunyan show. They were cheap knives but they had hunter orange handles. They were a favorite hunting knife when I was growing up. Despite the orange handles I must have lost half a dozen of them in the woods (why I always take two knives now ).
Old March 20, 2012, 11:09 AM   #7
TX Hunter

I clean all my Deer with a Case Trapper. Its all i need.
Old March 20, 2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Scout

I have carried a Buck 110 for all of my life.
Old March 20, 2012, 12:31 PM   #9
603Country

For most of my decades of deer hunting, I carried a Kbar and a Browning 3 blade folding knife (the one with the gut hook blade) in my canvas possible bag. The Kbar was for skinning and chopping and the Browning was mostly for the gut hook. I didn't need the gut hook, but it did come in handy. Nowdays, since I live in the country, I just use the Gerber folding knife (3 1/2 inch blade) that I carry in my pocket daily. Like some of ya'll, I like knives, and I'd buy dozens if I let myself do it, but so far my resistance is working.
Old March 20, 2012, 12:33 PM   #10
upstate81

I have always used Camillus knives. A fantastic company based in Camillus NY. They filed for bankrupcey in 2007 and the company name and all rights were sold. I'm not too sure of their new products but their old knives were the best in my book. Anyone else familier with Camillus knives?
Old March 20, 2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Clifford L. Hughes

Willie Loman:

I only carry one knife with me when I hunt. If I'm going into the big country I carry a Buck. I bought it in 1965 so I don't remember the modle number but it has a six or eight inch heavy blade. I carry it in case I have an emergency and I have to cut small trees for shelter. When I hunt deer here in California or antelope in Wyoming and I won't be far from the truck I carry a custom made Glen Hornby. It has about a three and a half inch blade and is razor sharp. Through the years I've use many brands like Case and Marble but I find the Buck and the Horbby out standing.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old March 20, 2012, 03:07 PM   #12
spclPatrolGroup

Buck Alpha series are what I have been using on deer last few years, the grip fits my hands good, and it won't break the bank when I loose one in the field.
Old March 20, 2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Grant D

+ 1 Buck 110 Folding Hunter. Same one since 1967 had to replace the sheath a couple of times
Old March 20, 2012, 03:14 PM   #14
Scorch

When I hunt, I carry a handmade 4" clip point fixed blade with a carbon steel blade, and I always have my pocket knife with me. And I carry a steel for touching up the blade.
Old March 20, 2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Saltydog235

I carry a Cutting Edge Whitetail Skinner in my pack and my trusty Spyderco Peter Herbst Lightweight in my pocket. Only thing we need a knife for is for a slit in the leg for a tag on does, then its off to the processor to do the dirty work. Its worth it to have one skinned, hung, processed, and packaged for $70.00.
Old March 20, 2012, 03:52 PM   #16
Wyosmith

I use a large size Swiss Army Knife with a saw and a locking main blade, and I carry a diamond sharpening steel. For game up to elk, that's all I carry.

I have used that combination for everything from white tails does and antelope does to bull buffalo and moose. I gut, skin and field quarter all the game I kill, and all the games my friends and clients have killed with this combination, and have done so for about 20 years now.

(But I will throw in a folding pruning saw for the buffalo and moose hunting. I use the saw to core the pelvis and to dock the legs above the knees.)
Old March 20, 2012, 03:58 PM   #17
Pahoo

My old friend !!

My favorite that goes back to my Bow-Hunting days, is the Puma White Hunter. A bit on the large size but came in handy for trimming my shooting lanes. I still have it but seldom take it out. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old March 20, 2012, 05:09 PM   #18
603Country

upstate, I do remember Camillus knives. I think the old WWII Kbar I used back when I was a kid was made by Camillus. I've passed it down to my grandson now. And I have an old pocket knife that's a Camillus. It once was a castrating knife used by my Dad's best buddy that was a rancher. How's that for knife history.

You sure that plant wasn't in Camillus, Texas?
Old March 20, 2012, 05:26 PM   #19
AllenJ

When hunting bambi I only take my Case 3 bladed pocket knife, it is more than enough for the blacktails I hunt in my area. When I leave my area to go elk hunting I take the Case and a Kershaw Alaskan Hunter. It has 2 blades and a small saw. The saw is pretty much worthless but having 2 blades is really nice in case you get more than one animal down at a time.
Old March 20, 2012, 06:22 PM   #20
Rembrandt

Cold Steel Master Hunter and a Gerber saw....

Old March 20, 2012, 06:59 PM   #21
Crankylove

Buck 110 i got on my 12th birthday and a Wyoming knife for me. They have always done well on game from rabbits on up to elk.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:14 PM   #22
mete

For years I used the early CS Master Hunter stainless steel .It is the most practical knife I can think of. Typical for deer I use a 4" ,slight drop point , stainless steel .For something larger a knife like Fallkniven S-1.
These days I use a modified Fallkniven TK-1 , a joy to use.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:17 PM   #23
Kreyzhorse

One Buck is all I need. I believe it's a fixed blade Alpha with a gut hook and perhaps a 4" blade.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:26 PM   #24
roberto mervicini

always 2 knives, wyoming gutting knive and either the old Buck folding (30 + years, my very first hunting knive) or one of the many fix blade that came after all razor sharp.
_______
roberto
Old March 20, 2012, 07:41 PM   #25
upstate81

603 Country, camillus knives sure have been around for quite some time. Mid to late 1800's I believe. Yes I'm sure they were in NY I try to buy EVERYTHING I can locally. Its a shame small businesses are closing. Putting fine people out of work. I suppose things can always be purchased cheaper. kind of like how some buck knives are foreign made. I've made that mistake before, if its priced cheap it most likely is cheap. Don't get me wrong I'm not rich be any means but I do try to support our products best I can.

Last edited by upstate81; March 20, 2012 at 07:47 PM.