The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2012, 08:02 AM   #26
Marquezj16

Quote:
LC9 has a 9-round mag
Is this an aftermarket mag? I only have a 7 rd mag.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:05 AM   #27
RC20

I am still looking for a single stack version of the Sig SP2022.

I.e. more concealable with the hammer fired setup and the simpler lever system of that gun (at a decent price like the Sig.)

Most of the more informed reports I read just did not seem to think the Nano cut it. Interested but not sold, on my list to handle one as I may not get what I want. Will play the field as it were and even if it does not fit the criteria, it will help the sorting process.

Good point may be that like the Sig, its dropped the price point a lot, getting into reasonable territory.

I think most guns are overpriced badly. Nano is not (Sig 290 running what $700? sheese)
Old February 16, 2012, 09:17 AM   #28
WildBill45

Quote:
For most people if they put a Nano in their front pocket, they're going to be very very uncomfortable when they sit down at the waffle hut, or sit down in their car, and the rest of the time they're going to need a shirt over hanging their pocket because it's going to be very obvious that they have a gun in it.
If you primary goal is comfort, don't carry a gun period.

It is very uncomfortable being dead! The Nano can actually SHOOT, when pulled from its uncomfortable pocket. A gun that can't shoot well at reasonable distances do not interest me. Bad guys do not restrict distance, nor do I!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old February 16, 2012, 09:40 AM   #29
AH.74

Quote:

It is very uncomfortable being dead! The Nano can actually SHOOT, when pulled from its uncomfortable pocket. A gun that can't shoot well at reasonable distances do not interest me. Bad guys do not restrict distance, nor do I!
I thought you were a better poster than to say these kinds of things.

We get it- you love your nano. Good for you. But gushing love for it doesn't change the fact that for some of us, it isn't the second coming.

If you dress in such a way and are large enough that you can fit a nano in your pocket and go about your business so that it works for you, great. But many of us choose to dress in such a way that a gun the size of a nano will not be unobtrusive. For me it would look like a brick in my front pocket, and would never even fit in my back pocket.

Mild discomfort is one thing, badly uncomfortable is another.

What works for you doesn't for me. Try to be objective.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:44 AM   #30
C0untZer0

Quote:
I don't expect a carry pistol to give me an relaxing back massage everytime I sit down.

I'm just saying that Beretta calls the Nano a pocket pistol and IMO it's not.

I'm sure it can be carried comfortable in some kind of holster, I'm pretty sure it can't be carried comfortably in a normal average pocket.
Old February 16, 2012, 02:04 PM   #31
tobnpr

Actually, I would prefer- though I haven't handled one yet- the "blockier" grip of the Nano or DB-9 over the LC-9. I really like the LC-9, and may get another if none of the above outshine it, but I'm a sizeable guy with large hands, and a thicker grip would give me better purchase.

I'm looking at depth/length, not weight. I would actually prefer 17 oz over the lighter guns, I'm sure they've gotta be easier on the hand when shooting. Simple physics, there...
Old February 16, 2012, 03:49 PM   #32
khegglie

CountZero that earlier post comparing the various gun sizes was good; but you left off the width measurement. This is a key dimension in pocket carrying i THINK.
Old February 16, 2012, 04:05 PM   #33
pgdion

I was interested in the Nano until I looked at one. It just didn't impress me. Check out the CZ RAMI for a nice compact 9mm.
Old February 16, 2012, 05:29 PM   #34
C0untZer0

Added width and slide width.

Some manufacturers don't include slide stop or safeties in their width measurments...

Nano is as thin as the PM9 ...
Old February 16, 2012, 10:24 PM   #35
Technosavant

Quote:
If you can't reasonably carry the gun, then it's pointless to own as a carry weapon. Sometimes you can dress around the gun, sometimes you can't. I tend to buy pants with an eye towards the size of the pockets, and none of mine are big enough to hide the Nano or similar micro-9mm guns. The thing is just too big. If you're going to carry it on a belt, you may as well go with something larger (and therefore more controllable).

There's folks for whom the Nano is a good choice, but it is very much not going to fit in the same spots where you can easily hide the smaller .380 guns.
Old February 17, 2012, 07:37 AM   #36
khegglie

Thanks for the update C0untZer0.
Old February 17, 2012, 08:32 AM   #37
tobnpr

^^ ditto, but you should edit the Ruger to LC9 from LCP...

The Kahr might be small enough, but it's $$ removes it from my list. Not saying it's not "worth" it to some, just not to me at $650 for a plastic pocket gun.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:02 AM   #38
C0untZer0

LCP

Its weird that I listed it as LCP because I went to LGS to look at the LC9 a few months ago and he gave me the LCP to look at. I thought "Man this little nine is AMAZING !"

I was kind of baffled when I saw "380 AUTO" stamped on it...
Old February 17, 2012, 11:03 AM   #39
Officer's Match

Quote:
To me the Nano is an in-betweener. It's not as lightweight, small or concealable as a Kahr CM9 /PM9 or Rohrbaugh R9, so it just doesn't optimally fit the CCW need.
This. The PM9 is such a sweet gun that I often carry it when my attire would easily allow a larger weapon. OTOH, the G26 is perhaps the best Glock made.
Old February 17, 2012, 09:43 PM   #40
RickE

Really people... anything bigger than the LCP, TCP, and all other true pocket guns should be carried IWB or OWB. What kind of baggy pants do some of you wear?
Old February 17, 2012, 10:53 PM   #41
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill45 View Post

This is just a bit overboard, don't you think? As many poster have pointed out, there are far many better choices for pocket carry.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:58 PM   #42
jimbob86

Quote:
Guru said: "Carrying a gun is not comfortable. Carrying a gun is comforting."
Old February 17, 2012, 11:06 PM   #43
ATW525

I brought one home today on an impulse buy. I have not yet fired it, so I can't speak to how it shoots or functions.

My first impression upon holding it was, "Wow... that's a really high bore axis!" However, after comparing it to some other pistols, I've come to the conclusion that it's largely optical illusion. It does have a high bore axis compared to other striker-fired pistols, but it's probably about average when compared to hammer fired guns.

I'm not terribly impressed by the grip... it feels too slippery for my taste. I've been carrying a Hi-Power adorned with Gunner grips and grip tape, and I like a gun that sticks to my hand like it was glued there. I'm hoping some talon grips will improve that aspect.

I don't have a pocket holster that fits the gun, but I tried it in a Desantis Nemesis made for a J frame. The poor fit of the J frame holster didn't allow the gun to go all the way into the pocket, but I think it has the potential to be quite pocketable in the proper holster. I do not wear skin tight Levis, however.
Old February 17, 2012, 11:13 PM   #44
jimbob86

Quote:
What kind of baggy pants do some of you wear?
Maybe these? You could hide a shotgun and a body in there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clown pants.jpg (7.6 KB, 42 views)
Old February 17, 2012, 11:21 PM   #45
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I don't expect a carry pistol to give me an relaxing back massage everytime I sit down.
I do, but they never seem to provide one.

I got a chance to shoot one today. First observation is that it kicks like a mule. Second observation is that it grouped somewhat consistently once I got used to the trigger.
Old February 18, 2012, 01:26 AM   #46
LockedBreech

I'm one of the bigger Beretta cheerleaders on TFL. I love their guns. The 92 series is my personal idea of handgun perfection, and I trust the PX4 sitting on my nightstand as I type this completely. That said, the Nano I remain lukewarm. Here are my reasons, for what they're worth:

First, my LCP has spoiled me horribly. It was my first carry pistol, so to me very few pistols are true "pocket" pistols. I can cart Elsie into the most gun-hostile social settings, wearing Wranglers or dress slacks, with an extra magazine to boot and never get made.

Second, the gun is having ammo issues. Apparently the first-run springs are a bit stiff, and on some guns only hot loads will cycle the Nano reliably.

Third, there are just other guns doing it better. The LC9 is a more slender shaped option with a great track record, and for a true "slim nine", the PPS continues to receive glowing reviews as the apex predator of the slim nine ecosystem.

I love Beretta, truly a quality arms maker which produces trustworthy and solid guns with a flair for style. They've always struggled with subcompacts, though, and the Nano is so far, sadly, not an exception.
Old February 18, 2012, 02:13 PM   #47
roman3

Not much to love. Its tall, slabsided and feels funky in the hand. Top heavy and not really that small at all. I hoped and expected more and was disappointed. To many issues reported only adds to the lack of love.

Beretta has been looking for a big seller for quite a while really since the 92 series of guns. The PX4 is a good gun but does not seem to be a big seller amoung the current crop of polymer pistols. Glock, M&P and the XD seem to be the top 3 in sales and popularity. The PX4, P99 and FN pistols seem to trail the others.
Old February 18, 2012, 02:23 PM   #48
LockedBreech

I concur, roman. The polymer service sector of the market is overwhelmed. The PX4, P99, and FNP are awesome guns, but so are the Glock, M&P, and XD/XDM. Much like the AR, we're reaching a point of market saturation. When it comes to high-cap polymer service weapons, we're spoiled for choice.
Old February 18, 2012, 03:33 PM   #49
khegglie

This is aimed at the pocket pistolarena though.
Old February 18, 2012, 06:04 PM   #50
C0untZer0

For some people "pocket pistol" is a category or a description of a pistol type. But for people who actually want a pocket pistol to carry in their pants pockets, why would they get a Beretta Nano when they could get a Rohrbaugh R9 or Kahr PM9, and if it's a budget thing, then why would they could get a Beretta Nano when they could a Kahr CM9 ?