The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 3, 2010, 09:25 PM   #1
the Black Spot

walker colt ...?

found an armi san marco walker marked as "whitneyville walker". the grips weren't a real good fit and the hammer seemed to be stiff when cocked.
pawn shop is asking $275, that a good deal or should i wait about a month and offer $225?
thanks in advance.
Old August 3, 2010, 10:17 PM   #2
smokepole14

It really depends on the quality of the gun. You could strip it down and clean it completely and the action might smooth up. Then again it might not. If it seems likes its in good enough condition it probably would be worth it. I would offer him 225 if he dont take it buy a new one. Either way your getting a new gun so its a win win situation.
Old August 3, 2010, 10:25 PM   #3
arcticap

The hammer could be stiff just because the wedge is push in too far, and the grips probably aren't too bad. Or it could only need some oil or a cleaning.
The determining factor would be it's overall condition and how used it looks.
If it looks well used then $225 is a fair offer. If it looks like it was only used a little then $250 - $275 isn't too far out of line.
If you offered $225 and he counters with $250, then you would need to judge how much it has been used.
Sometimes ASM parts aren't all that easy to find, and you can mention that to him.
It's hard to say what it's worth when we can't see it.
When folks buy them on Gunbroker then they also have to pay shipping which adds to the cost.
It's usually best to make a low offer unless it looks really good overall and you really want it. Then you don't want to insult him either, but your lower offer will serve to feel him out.
Then you can always tell him that you need to come back with more money, and only bring $235 with you.

Last edited by arcticap; August 3, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old August 4, 2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Slowhand

No a bad price

Armi san marco walkers marked as "whitneyville walker" are pretty rare in my part of the woods. Depending on the condition, I'd keep at him.
Old August 4, 2010, 08:38 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

I had a ASM "Whitneyville Walker" a revolver that never existed back in the day. ASM took the standard Walker and stamped "Whitneyville Walker" on the left side of the barrel lug. At $225 it needs to be in very good or better condition IMHO.