The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 20, 2002, 06:27 PM   #1
Country Boy

It sure gets wordy around here *grin*

(This is what happens when you leave math-people unattended.) As of about 1/2 an hour ago...

There are 4 TFL'ers who have more than 10,000 posts: C.R. Sam, George Hill, Mike Irwin, and Art Eatman. Category 1
There are 12 TFL'ers who have 5000-9999 posts. (I count Don Gwinn here after rolling in his Gwinnydapooh count.) Category 2
There are 14 TFL'ers who have 4000-4999 posts. Category 3
There are 17 TFL'ers who have 3000-3999 posts. Category 4
There are 47 TFL'ers who have 2000-2999 posts. Category 5
There are 49 TFL'ers who have 1500-1999 posts. Category 6
There are 84 TFL'ers who have 1000-1499 posts. Category 7

Also, we have 3945 registered members who have 0 posts.

I think I need to crack open something cold and take a break from TFL for a while...

/edited to add the Category notations, just like hurricanes or tornados. nice idea!/

Last edited by Country Boy; November 20, 2002 at 06:50 PM.
Old November 20, 2002, 06:32 PM   #2
OF

Take a break? Man, you didn't even make the list! Get on it!

- Gabe (Category 5 TFL'er)
Old November 20, 2002, 06:43 PM   #3
Guyon

Only a Category 7 here, but I'm in the top 200. How many members we got here anyway?
Old November 20, 2002, 06:47 PM   #4
BigG

Category 4. An interesting thing occurs to me as I log in each time. The number of members are up to something like 17,000 but you only see a few hundred or so regular names popping up in the threads.

Maybe the other 16,000 members post in the threads I don't read?
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old November 20, 2002, 06:52 PM   #5
spacemanspiff

Cat 7.

so we know who posts the most. but what about content. who posts the most actual words?
Old November 20, 2002, 06:56 PM   #6
Country Boy

At the rate I'm going, I won't be a Category 7 until April of 2004.
Old November 20, 2002, 06:59 PM   #7
Cuchulainn

I'm in category 327!
Old November 20, 2002, 07:14 PM   #8
The Silver Bullet 1719

I've been here for 3 years, and I'm only caterory 8! Lord knows how long it will take me to get to Cat 7 lol.
Old November 20, 2002, 07:28 PM   #9
GnL

Increase my post count bump.
JPFO
SAS

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." -- H.L. Mencken
Old November 20, 2002, 07:31 PM   #10
Kharn

Lets see if I can upgrade to Category 6 by the end of the night.

Kharn
[who is very bored at work]
Old November 20, 2002, 09:11 PM   #11
tyme
Staff

3264 users have posted in the last 30 days
2513 in the last 2 weeks
1889 in the last week
760 in the last day
79 in the last hour
(approximate numbers)

Some graphs are available at http://www.thefiringline.com/stats/

(edit) Those stats only consider members - people with less than 25 posts tend to mess with the stats, and it's faster to just compute stats from users with at least 25 posts than to compare last post date with registration date and make some determination whether the user is still active.

Spaceman, number of words is tough to tell. First, it takes several minutes to do get average per-user wordcount over all the posts, and more importantly, many high wordcount posters contribute mainly news articles. Others quote a lot. Eliminating quote blocks would partially work, but there are posters who use bold or italics for quotations, and many news articles aren't quoted at all.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; November 20, 2002 at 10:17 PM.
Old November 20, 2002, 09:33 PM   #12
Pendragon

I would be curious to know how many people have:

1-9 posts

10-25 posts

26-100 Posts.

I think the first category might show a lot of trolls...
Old November 20, 2002, 10:03 PM   #13
tyme
Staff

1-9: 6645
10-24: 2046
25-99: 2417

(oops... forgot)
0: 4069
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old November 20, 2002, 10:22 PM   #14
glirette

Hey now I am working on it Maybe I need a break from this place
Old November 20, 2002, 10:53 PM   #15
Coronach

must

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old November 20, 2002, 10:54 PM   #16
Coronach

increase

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old November 20, 2002, 10:55 PM   #17
Coronach

total

Old November 20, 2002, 10:55 PM   #18
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Category #3, and moving on up! I plan to get there
sooner or later?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old November 20, 2002, 10:56 PM   #19
Coronach

posts.

Old November 20, 2002, 10:57 PM   #20
twoblink

It's good to see that many people active in the RKBA efforts.
Old November 20, 2002, 10:59 PM   #21
Coronach

Ala dan, you interrupted me.

Mike

Old November 20, 2002, 11:16 PM   #22
Schuey2002

This
Old November 20, 2002, 11:18 PM   #23
Schuey2002

is
Old November 20, 2002, 11:20 PM   #24
Schuey2002

cheating!
Old November 20, 2002, 11:27 PM   #25
Monkeyleg

If you used an actual count of words-per-post, CR Sam would be about a Level 6.