The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Nero45

Ejection problems with 1911

Hello everone, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I've got a custom made 1911 that is mostly completed however the issue is the ejector port. The slide that the gun sports is the older style port which means the spent cartage has to go up more than to the right to eject. The ejector it has is one of the new ones that eject mostly to the right. So the question is do I replace it with the older syle ejector or have a gunsmith grid the slide to the new style port? Your thought please.

Last edited by Nero45; July 25, 2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old July 25, 2011, 07:34 PM   #2
dahermit

Although I had a Series 70 Government model that I had a gunsmith lower the ejection port on (mill not grind), it would be much easier to reshape the ejector to G.I. configuration to fix your problem. There was nothing wrong about U.S. 1911 A1's ability to eject empty cases despite the standard high port.
Old July 25, 2011, 07:34 PM   #3
mete

The ejectors always kicked the case to the right . Lowering the edge of the ejection port 1/8" will help reduce your problem. The end of the ejector and extractor can be shaped to help also.
A really well designed gun ejects the case without it hitting the slide !!!
They are rare but one is the HK P7 with an exractor centered on the port and the ejector opposite the port .The case easily clears the port .
Old July 25, 2011, 09:00 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

While the extractor has some effect, direction of ejection depends most on the ejector. To change direction, remember that the high point of the ejector is opposite the direction you want the case to take. For example, if you want the case to go upward, it needs to hit the lower part of the ejector first, so you want that part to be high.

Jim
Old July 26, 2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Nero45

Thank your for your responses. I guess I'll have to get the port increased in size. Also James I've got another 1911 with a wider port that someone had ground down the ejector to that the spent rounds would fly up and a bit back and hit me in the head every time. I'm not sure why the prior owner wanted that unless they had a cup on their head that they were trying to drop them in. but still a replaced ejector took care of that problem.
Old July 26, 2011, 08:29 PM   #6
drail

The ejector and extractor can be tuned to make the cases eject up and out and not back in your face. The military guns did it for 80 years or so. It is not necessary to lower the port's wall or flare it to make the gun function. The main reason smiths started doing that was because guys wanted to mount scopes on their guns and the brass would go up and bounce off the scope and sometimes try to go back into the port. Then it simply became fashionable like forward cocking serrations. Everyone now believes they need these modifications.