The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 1, 2013, 07:32 PM   #1
BarryLee

Good News from GA Sen. Isakson

I finally got a response back from Senator Johnny Isakson to a letter I sent in January. Overall it sounds pretty good and he seems to feel Sen. Feinstein’s bill will not pass “Congress”. So, not sure if this means he thinks it could pass the Senate, but not the House or if I’m just reading too much into his statement.

Also, he mentions that he supports focusing on mental health issues and backgrounds checks. He provided no more detail, so those of us in Georgia may need to contact him in regards to our feelings in those two areas. Anyway, overall his response was pretty positive.

Dear Mr. BarryLee:

Thank you for contacting me regarding a proposed ban on assault weapons. I apologize for the delay in responding. My office has experienced a significant increase in the volume of incoming mail, but please know your concerns were taken into consideration at the time your letter was first received. I appreciate your thoughts, and I am grateful to have the opportunity to respond.

Sen. Feinstein (D-CA), author of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban that expired in 2004, has introduced a new bill to ban assault weapons. This legislation would stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of more than 100 specifically-named firearms as well as certain semiautomatic rifles, handguns and shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds. Sen. Feinstein's bill also would stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of large-capacity ammunition feeding devices (magazines, strips and drums) capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

I do not believe that bans on assault weapons or cartridges are the answer to ending acts of mass violence, nor will such measures pass Congress. As history shows us, the 10-year ban on assault weapons that was in effect from 1994 to 2004 could not prevent the mass shooting at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado. The common threads running through these shootings are mental health issues. I believe that more effective and sensible solutions are those that focus on background checks and mental health care, rather than restrictions on our Second Amendment right to bear arms. I look forward to working for commonsense solutions that keep our children safe without infringing upon our Constitutional rights.

Sincerely,
Johnny Isakson
United States Senator
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 1, 2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

I got the same letter this morning. Isakson is worth keeping an eye on, as he's waffled on other civil-rights issues before.

So has Saxby Chambliss. The difference is that Chambliss won't be running for re-election, so with the right pressure he might cave. It's worth inundating both of their offices with emails.
Old March 2, 2013, 01:45 PM   #3
SPEMack618

Hey, I got the same letter too. Neat!

Got it yesterday apparently, didn't make it to the mailbox until this morning.

Good to hear it.

But as our savior said, "trust, but verify."
Old March 2, 2013, 02:48 PM   #4
shootniron

Quote:
I got the same letter this morning. Isakson is worth keeping an eye on, as he's waffled on other civil-rights issues before.

So has Saxby Chambliss. The difference is that Chambliss won't be running for re-election, so with the right pressure he might cave. It's worth inundating both of their offices with emails.
I agree, they are both present day politicians in the truest sense of the word and I would not trust either of them as far as I could throw them.
Old March 3, 2013, 01:47 AM   #5
Texshooter

Yep, we need to watch Chambliss.

Neither of these guys has, to me, ever been a clean read.

I got the same response, THIS TIME, from Isakson. The other responses all had mention of Sandy Hook, which I never mentioned to him.

But I understand the load of mails they are getting.

TURN THE HEAT UP HIGHER - EVERY POLITICAL OFFICE - STAND & FIGHT.

********** By the way, there is a bill in the GA House about open carry without a CCW. We need that - contact the state gubment.

Sorry don't have HB #.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:56 AM   #6
basilisk4

Pending GA bill of legislation re: open carry

I believe it's House Bill 26. Full text and status are here:

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/...20132014/HB/26
Old March 3, 2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Texshooter

Thank you, sir.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
southallatoona

I dont believe that bill will progress any further this session. Last week the House passed HB 512 and the Senate passed SB 101 that both intend to expand gun rights and protect gun owners privacy. However, both need to pass the other chamber before either become law.