The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 10, 2009, 04:27 PM   #51
Zombie Steve

Good post by AZredhawk44 at the end of page 1. I'm pretty much in line with that.

Around this part of the Rockies, many folks (including me) are packing a 4" .357 mag. I've done some hiking at altitude (for me, that means over 9,000 feet) with a Smith 629 and a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. Both are solid rounds for what you are considering, but man, do they get heavy when you are in the thin air. You start counting ounces. Whenever someone posts a .500 mag or the gigantic .480 Ruger seen earlier in the thread I always wonder if backwoods for them involves an atv or a horse...

I would say don't be intimidated by the .44 mag - if you reload, you can find a sweet spot. Mine is a 200 grain JHP over Unique. It's relatively mild for a .44 mag, but it's still hopping over 1,300fps. You can also practice with .44 special. It's always some compromise - weight vs. recoil, et cetera...

My next point is that although we have mountain lion, coyotes, black bear, et cetera here, my biggest concern (by far) is still the 2 legged varmints. The next immediate concerns for me are hydration and lightning. Seriously. Cougar and bear are waaay down my list. Just playing the odds, I guess.

My last thought about the really big boomers is about how much guys really practice practical shooting with a .460 or a .500 mag... I suppose it's possible, but it's not for me.

Find the right load for a .357 mag and you won't feel unprotected in the woods.
Old March 10, 2009, 04:33 PM   #52
Wiskey_33

My vote goes to the GP100.
Old March 10, 2009, 04:34 PM   #53
shoop66

Oh God... Not Again...
Old March 10, 2009, 04:34 PM   #54
rantingredneck

Quote:
My last thought about the really big boomers is about how much guys really practice practical shooting with a .460 or a .500 mag... I suppose it's possible, but it's not for me.
When I had my SRH .454 I practiced enough to take 2 deer with it, but I realized quickly that the 2 deer I killed with it would have been just as dead with a properly loaded .357. I shot one from a treestand at 30 yds and another on the ground (on the run) at ~7-10 yds. Both fell like they were struck by lightning. I expect they'd have run a little farther with a .357, but it would have been short track.

The thing that really turned me off of the .454 (besides the deafening muzzleblast) was the carry weight. That 7.5" SRH is heavy in any caliber. If you are truly considering a defensive revolver, clearing 7.5" of barrel from a holster is not terribly conducive to your purpose either. 4-5" is plenty o' barrel to zip a bullet along and still clear leather fast enough to save your hide.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 10, 2009, 04:52 PM   #55
Hamour

41 mag or 44 mag in a S&W Mod 57/29 or Ruger Black Hawk has the weight to power ratio needed for the best back woods handgun. They also work well in a companion lever action or semi auto carbine.
Other more powerful rounds have come upon the scene but the handguns are much larger and more cumbersome.

In my humble opinion if you need more power than the 41/44 mag can deliver, carry a big rifle or 12ga slug gun.
Old March 10, 2009, 06:31 PM   #56
22-rimfire

If I leaned toward hunting more, I'd get a 4" Smith 41 mag revolver.
If I leaned more toward hiking, I'd get a 3" GP100 in 357 mag.
If I leaned more toward fishing, I'd carry either a 22LR or 22WMR revolver. It would be something pretty light.
If I leaned toward self defense, I would get the 3" GP100 above or carry a Glock in 40 S&W.
Old March 10, 2009, 06:49 PM   #57
turbotype87

which gun?

Just so you know i have a 357 and 44 magnum handguns, both are more than capable of handling the two and four legged animals. I prefer the 44 mag myself, but you can't go wrong with either.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:17 PM   #58
mrghostwalker

Woods Carry?

Go with the 4 inch Ruger. It can stand up better to the hot loads than just about any other 357. (And it's priced right)
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Old March 10, 2009, 10:46 PM   #59
Wolfeye

Pathfinder45,

Thanks for the interesting story. I'm a native from Alaska, so it struck a cord with me.

It brings up a good point: a combination of 2 guns can work very well for the outdoors. If you want to protect yourself, a hunting rifle is probably best. If you want to feed yourself, a .22 is probably the most practical choice; small animals are more common than large game, and it's easy to carry a large quantity of ammo.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:10 AM   #60
Prince55

What about that 200lb chimp attack on that woman in CT a couple of
weeks ago ?
When the police arrived the enraged chimp attacked them while in
their cars. One officer put Several shots into it and it just kept on
going and went back to the house up to it's room before dying.
I'm sure they probably were using the .40 S&W ctg. as that's what
most of them carry now.
I think a .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or .45 L. Colt and maybe even a
.357 Magnum all loaded with Wide Flat Nose bullets and hot loads would
be Far Superior on animals and some 2 legged "animals" as well.
Old March 11, 2009, 09:03 AM   #61
Chesster

Quote:
weeks ago ?
most of them carry now.
The lesson here is clear: Don't monkey around, get a big bore. Go .44.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 11, 2009, 10:31 AM   #62
batmann

I am a .44Mag guy and will almost always pick a .44 over a .357. That said, the area you are going to be in a good .357 should suffice.
One other option, buy a S&W 'Mountain Gun' in .44M and order Buffalo Bore's heavy .44 Special. They should work for anything on 2 or 4 legs you will run across. They also have a 'Light' .44M load as well.
The MG is as light as most .357's, is easy to pack and gives you the option of shooting true .44M loads if you want or need. I have one so I speak from experience. The only change I made was to order the Hogue X frame grips from S&W.
If you are going to carry a hand gun, be sure and get a GOOD leather holster. It will both protect your weapon and will help distribute the weight for longer carries.
Hope this helps----
Old March 11, 2009, 10:44 AM   #63
overkill556x45

If 357 will do it for ya, I'd stick with a GP100 3" or 4". I had a GP100 6" and stupidly sold it. That's the only one I miss....

Misty eyes aside, a Redhawk .44mag 4" would also do nicely. S&W also makes the Mountain Gun in .44mag, and I swear I saw one in .45 Colt once. I'd go for the .45 Colt myself since I already reload for it.

Man, I miss that GP...stupid, stupid, stupid......
Old March 11, 2009, 01:18 PM   #64
The Great Mahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill556x45
S&W also makes the Mountain Gun in .44mag, and I swear I saw one in .45 Colt once. I'd go for the .45 Colt myself since I already reload for it.
They do indeed. It's the 625 MG. They're rather rare and hard to come by, though. I looked for one for a few months and luckily found one. One of the nicest revolvers I have, and an absolute favorite of mine. I was going to get a Redhawk in 45colt, but got my hands on the Mountain Gun when I went to my dealer to order the Ruger. I highly recommend them, if you can find one.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:23 PM   #65
azredhawk44

Quote:
weeks ago ?
most of them carry now.
I think that was a marskmanship issue. .40 has the power to hit CNS on a chimp. People tend to give up from GSW's more easily than animals do. Stopping a rampaging predator or aggressive animal is a job for a CNS shot.

Yet another reason for a .357 over a .500. 1-2 controlled shots is all you're gonna get.
Old March 11, 2009, 03:04 PM   #66
Sam06

My Hiking gun here in NC is a Glock G30(45 ACP), I shoot it good and I think it is powerful enough for most things I am likely to encounter in NC. I hunt with a handgun and I use a T/C in 30-30. I carry a 5.5" Redhawk with me if I am in hog country and think I might get a 25-35yd shot at a pig.

My Dad and I both go fishing in Alaska every year. When I am there I carry the Redhawk or a 629 both 44Mags. I hand load so I tailor the rounds for the gun and the Target. My Dad carries my M657 in 41Mag(He doesn't like the 44 recoil). That said I also keep a Marlin GG in 45-70 close by but we have never been bothered by bears too much.

For a woods gun in VA I think a 44 would be the top of the spectrum for your needs. I like the 10mm. I don't have one anymore but I like the cartridge. I think if you wanted a Autoloader you could not go wrong with a Glock G29. Its small and light, easy to carry and hits hard.

If its a wheelgun you are looking at, 41,44 Mag and 45 Colt are the cartridges I would go with. The platform to launch them would be a 3.5-5.5" Revolver either DA or SA. My choices would be in order: S&W Mountain Gun, Redhawk,S&W M29 or a Super BlackHawk. Good luck in your search.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:14 PM   #67
KC Rob

Thanks for the advice Sam06. I own a Glock 30 and that is one of my usual carry guns (at least it was until the Kimber Pro Carry II usurped it), but I am looking for a wheelie, preferably a stainless wheelie for my back woods/hunting sidearm. I have pretty much decided on the S&W 625 .45 LC Mountain Gun and someone suggested having the cylinder machined for .45 ACP moon clips which is a great idea. That would give me the option of stoking it with .45 Colt for hunting and woods duty, but I could practice with .45 ACP, something that I have in abundance, the best of both worlds. Now I am looking for a nice little lever brush gun in .45 LC to be a companion gun to the S&W and I will be in hog heaven!
Old March 25, 2009, 04:52 PM   #68
GB2008

can't go wrong with a good 357 magnum revolver...a 44 is even better.
Old March 25, 2009, 10:02 PM   #69
44 AMP
Staff

You are talking about a gun to carry a lot, and shoot a little, right?

The .357 will do it just fine. A medium frame gun (S&W or Ruger) 4" will give you the best blend of power, weight, and accuracy. Cheap(er) practice with low recoil .38s is a plus. While fashionable with internet keyboard commandos to deride the .357 Mag as inadequate, it has killed virtually everything that walks in North America, in skilled hands, and with ammo suited to the specific task. A magic death ray it is not, but then, NO gun is. Not even the monster .460s and .500s.

The .44 Mag is better, for animals, IF you can handle the recoil, weight of the gun, and cost of ammo. And the .45 Colt is another fine choice, in a good gun, with good ammo. But it has most of the same drawbacks as the .44 mag.

Statistically, you are at greater risk in the back country from 2 legged varmints, and for them, the .357 is a better choice than a larger magnum. Cats, while fast, and agressive, are not heavy boned thick bodied critters. Bears can be, and bear skulls are notoriouosly difficult to penetrate, because of the thickness of bone, and the angles involved. HArd cast SWC will penetrate as well as anything there is, and way better than JHP. JHP (particularly the 125gr .357) has a better record for stopping humans. A speed loader of each in your vest gives you the greatest flexability practical.

By all means, go for the bigger gun/caliber if it meets your needs and desires, but don't think the .357 isn't enough. It is. And then some. If you can shoot it well. IF you can't, no gun is going to be any better.
Old March 25, 2009, 11:13 PM   #70
cracked91

Ive got a .357, love it. I would carry it anywhere I went and feel completley safe. But what I WANT is a super redhawk alaskan .454 . You could shoot mostly .45 colts and only use the .454 for hunting or defensive purposes. I dont have the money for that now, but Im counting the days
Old March 26, 2009, 08:34 PM   #71
crghss

44 mag and 45 ACP

The 44 SRH w/ 9.5 is just to big to carry except hunting and maybe to big for that. When out scouting about I carry Colt 45 ACP with 8 in clip and 1 in the camber. If you can't kill what arises in the woods with that then I don't think it matters what your carrying.

But to your question .357 & .41 mag's well server you well. Or even 10mm and 40 S&W in an auto. But most of all you want it to be comfortable to carry and shoot. Make it fit and become part of your fishing vest or hiking belt/pack. If not then it'll ride in the truck more then on your body. And if things go bad you'd be happy with a .22 then nothing. The worst scenario of all for me would be a I don't make it in to the field/stream because I don't want to lug a chunk of metal around.

But it sounds like your headed in the right direction and have the right idea. I'm looking to purchase a .41 mag myself. You can get what ever need from the internet now a days.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:19 PM   #72
pacerdude

Yeah even down here in Georgia we have pumas (mountain lions or cougars if you would rather call them that). But I would think that a .357mag could get the job done. Just my .02 cents worth.
Old March 27, 2009, 03:40 AM   #73
vanilla_gorilla

Doug Wesson used the .357 Magnum to take every big game animal in North America. Puny? Not so's you'd notice. For eastern hiking, I'd have no problem with toting my Model 27 or 681.

Just as well, my 29 would be an excellent woods walking gun, though I'd rather have the 4 inch barrel over the 6 inch that I currently own. I handload, and cannot think of any animal west of the Mississippi that I'd worry about not stopping with a ~260 grain LSWC at 1000-1200 fps.

Another one that would serve well is my recently purchased S&W 22-4. Properly loaded with a stout .45 Auto Rim and a 255 LSWC at about 900 fps, I'd say anything short of a moose is fair game. The gun has a lightweight-profile 4 inch barrel barrel and handles like a dream.
Old March 27, 2009, 04:16 PM   #74
Corn dodger

I say a .32 S@W long. Light gun, light ammo, light recoil, and you can knock the LIGHTS out of an attacking rabbit if you shoot it enough times. Not to forget that the more ammo you expend, the lighter your load up in that thin air. Think light on your feet.
Old October 23, 2009, 09:08 PM   #75
EK and KK in FM

Puff The Magic Dragon--Bear Country

For Bear Country, or even T-Rex, then

"Puff" the Magic Dragon. I'd want 4 of those mounted on 4 ATVs, one in front of me, one in back and 1 on each side.

Something reassuring about 7.62mm at 6,000 rounds per minute.

If something attacked, you wouldn't know if it started out as a bear or a field mouse based on what would be left.