The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2008, 12:53 AM   #1
the_pragmaticist

Seeking a trap thrower...

Does anyone own an effective and affordable (less than $1k US) automatic trap thrower? I've seen some folks who came to the conclusion that anything costing less than a couple grand is going to end up pulverizing clays more often than actually throwing them; I'm just looking for the other side of the story if there is one.

I'll cut the requisite "bring a buddy" responses short - there are several of us and frankly we're tired of kneeling in the dirt and cocking the spring thrower 400 times on an otherwise beautiful day. Our wives don't want to swing the plastic walmart throwers and we don't have any teenagers available (A quick search of the forum will reveal the reason for these disclaimers).
Old November 15, 2008, 01:31 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am afraid I am one to suggest the "red slinger"... you could do as my 17 year old (now 18) son was doing and In his left hand hold the slinger and in his right, the gun... sling clay, drop slinger mount gun and shoot clay... He is much more limber than myself...
Brent
Old November 15, 2008, 01:53 AM   #3
zippy13

There are several options within your budget. Here's a link to a starting place.
Old November 15, 2008, 11:29 AM   #4
guntotin_fool

one hint, we have made a couple of these that either fit in the socket of the trailer hitch on the truck, or that have the bench style like the manuals shown in the second page of the above link.

Sitting down and recocking the levers is FAR FAR easier than you might expect, and it gives one a chance to rest a bit while others shoot. we built ours with a small table on the off side to hold the boxes of targets and its very easy to do. my 80+YO and not-as-strong-as-he once-was father had no trouble recocking the arms, and he had great fun "throwing" all afternoon for the grandkids. All he needed was someone to refill his ice tea, and bring fresh boxes of targets, I believe he threw well over 300 targets that day.

I was surprised that the cost for an automatic was so reasonable, and if they work, which I would surmise they would, I would think you could do well to fashion some sort of a small trailer on which to tow it, and to anchor it as they tend to 'recoil' a bit when used.

I will also say that we had lost a part on our Do All trap thru our negligence, and when we called to get another, they insisted that it was covered and shipped us a new one. free, in like 4 days.
Old November 15, 2008, 12:34 PM   #5
oneounceload

You might check around at some gun clubs - they might have a nice Winchester/Western Skeet or trap machine you might be able to pick up
Old November 15, 2008, 01:25 PM   #6
the_pragmaticist

Thanks for the replies - I'm checking out the links. The final goal is to build a couple of towers and set up a real skeet range, so the electric throwers are really the only viable answer if we're going to "do it right".
Old November 15, 2008, 03:18 PM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
The final goal is to build a couple of towers and set up a real skeet range, so the electric throwers are really the only viable answer if we're going to "do it right".
BRAVO!
At this point it the big question, controlling your selection is, are you're going to have line power available, or are you going to be on battery?
Old November 15, 2008, 05:15 PM   #8
lockedcj7

I bought one of the DO-ALL aerial assault throwers off E-bay and it came with the key-fob wireless remote. Yes, I had read all the negative postings about them on the web and decided to give them a shot anyway.

I've been very impressed with it. It threw several hundred clays before it broke the first one. My local Wal-Mart switched styles of clays on me and the new ones are slightly too big. It took a few minutes of redneck engineering to get it working again. I have it bolted to the floor in my barn loft and it's very stable. All I need to do is open the loft door, load the magazine and hook up the batteries. My 5 year-old loves pushing the button for me.

With shipping and everything, I think I paid under $300. The battery was another $50 or so. YMMV
Old November 15, 2008, 07:59 PM   #9
the_pragmaticist

I saw those for $350 or so on Ebay - it looks great, but like you said there are some crappy reviews out there. The model that seems to be prevalent is the Aerial Assault II.

Zippy13 - there is a generator available or even some buried cable if a line-powered thrower can be had in the right price range and it blows away the 12V competition, but we had intended to power the system with a battery or a running vehicle.
Old November 17, 2008, 10:56 PM   #10
Western Retro

trap machines

I have a pair of Winchester Western Skeet machines for sale. Also Western handset machines with my automatic conversion kit. Check out my website or drop me an PM. www.westernretro.net.
Old November 18, 2008, 12:02 AM   #11
zippy13

Quote:
Zippy13 - there is a generator available or even some buried cable if a line-powered thrower can be had in the right price range and it blows away the 12V competition, but we had intended to power the system with a battery or a running vehicle.
PM sent
Old November 20, 2008, 05:17 PM   #12
Western Retro

This machine is setup for 110 VAC but can do 12 VDC through an inverter. This is a solid commercial machine. Throws singles and doubles automatic. Will sell the loader conversion or trap machine separately. PM for more info.