The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 21, 2008, 10:46 AM   #1
denverBPshooter

Traditions Trapper Pistol help

The pistol is coming along well, only problem I am having is the action does not seem to be setting right. Hammer at half lock, will not fall with pressure, hammer at full lock, pressure applied to hammer and it will fall. Any tips on getting this to work correctly? I cant imagine that this is how it is suppose to work.

Thanks

looks like a great website!
Old January 21, 2008, 02:04 PM   #2
mykeal

Do I have this right:

Hammer at half cock - if you try to force the hammer down by pressing on it, it will not move

Hammer at full cock - if you try to force the hammer down by pressing on it, it falls all the way down

Are you pulling the trigger?

The hammer should not fall when it's at half cock whether you press on the hammer or pull the trigger.

At full cock the hammer should only fall if the trigger is pulled. If hand pressure applied to the hammer in full cock results in the hammer falling it is likely because the sear is not fully engaged in the notch.

There is (or should be) a small screw just above the notch. This screw controls the depth of engagement of the sear. Turning the screw clockwise increases the depth of engagement of the sear. That should solve your problem.
Old January 21, 2008, 02:19 PM   #3
denverBPshooter

That is correct, I will give that adjustment a try when I get home tonight.

Thank you for the response
Old January 22, 2008, 08:46 AM   #4
denverBPshooter

that did the trick, action is working like it should now. I own a few cap and ball 44's, but this was my first time building a kit of my own. The traditions kit seems to be a great kit but does require a lot more work that I thought. Glad I have some general knowledge about wood working.