The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 5, 2011, 09:15 PM   #1
SteelChickenShooter

Savage Model 220 Report

Some members have seen posts in the Single Shot Thread and the Recoil Question Thread where I posted questions, problems, and complaints about my poor results trying to zero my latest H&R, thumbhole stock, 20ga Ultra slug gun. I tried assorted brands of ammo, two sets of scope rings, two different scopes and I let three other guys shoot it. Bottom line turned out to be this gun was not accurate at all. I have had very good results with older models of NEF / H&R break action singles- but not this time. I replaced it with the Savage model 220, 20ga, bolt action. It's fitted with Leupold bases, rings, and a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope.
This combo really delivers the goods. They claim rifle accuracy in a slug gun and they're not lying. This shotgun is every bit of what I was looking for. From the very first shot I knew this was a real shooter. Followup shots with different brands only confirmed that.
I opted for the black model with the shorter youth stock. Loading, firing, ejecting 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells without the slightest problem. Holes on paper down range were dead nuts smack dab on the money. This shotgun shoots sabot slugs in the way I dream about, and it was just not possible to get results like I saw today with the single shot H&R. I will followup later if a report ever comes back from H&R about the gun I returned.
In hindsight, I feel stupid for trying so many variables hoping to get the H&R dialed in. This Savage model 220 is one sweet shooter and lays those babies right in there. Dumb me for not having this shotgun in the first place.
Old August 5, 2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I like happy endings........
Old August 6, 2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

Sometimes, it actually IS the gun that's the problem. Sorry you had so many problems with the H&R, but every company slips up from time to time. It's the nature of mass production. I hope H&R makes it right for you.

And no kind of real education is ever easy, or cheap... you aren't dumb at all, and your persistence eventually paid off in a good shooting slug gun. You did the right things, I assure you.

Glad you got it sorted out and you got something that works well for you, hope you find success afield with it!

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 7, 2011, 01:31 AM   #4
SteelChickenShooter

Funny thing about the most recent H&R I tried: I never had any expectation of being able to hit a deer with it. Exact opposite with the Savage 220 as I have it set up: could not imagine missing a deer with it no matter what brands of ammo I loaded.