The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 4, 2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Quincunx

38 S&W load choices

My mother-in-law has an older S&W Model 32 in 38 S&W. She likes the gun, has had it for (I'm guessing) at least 25 years, and she can shoot it reasonably well within its limitations. I had tried her out on a Model 10, but even with non +P loads she said it kicked too much. All righty, then, since quieter hits count for more than louder misses, better that she uses what she likes and what she's used to. I've done some searches here and elsewhere, but the only load choices still seem to be various LRN or FMJ bullets in the 146gr range. Does anyone make a JHP load for this round, or some other choice that I'm missing? Would there even be enough oomph to ensure reliable expansion in a HP for this round? I kind of doubt it, but I just want to make sure that she has the best choice in ammunition (again, given the obvious limitations in her choice of round and weapon). Thank you!
Old August 4, 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Creeper

There is a good thread here in the S&W Forums. At post #16 by "LouisianaMan" (who appears highly knowledgeable on the subject, by the way) , there is a (current) link to the Old Western Scrounger page where there have British 200 grain 38 S&W ammo for sale.

Cheers,
C
Old August 4, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Dragonheart2

Go with a 110 grain hollow point. The higher velocity makes it a very effective defensive round and the lighter bullet will have less recoil.
Old August 4, 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Creeper

Quote:
Go with a 110 grain hollow point.
This is for a .38 S&W, not a .38 Spcl. Not much available in that loading these days. It can be a little confusing if you're not familiar with .38 S&W.

.38 S&W / .38 Special

Cheers,
C
Old August 4, 2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Salmoneye

My pet load for .38 S&W is 2,2gr of Red Dot under a 158gr Penn TCBB @.358"...

This is for my Albion Motors 'Enfield No2 MkI'...

Straight out of the Lyman #44 Manual, with an estimated velocity of 700fps...

Amazingly accurate, and light shooting...
Old August 4, 2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Archie

.38 S&W

Not much commercial ammunition choice.

U. S. standard load is the146 grain RNL bullet at fairly moderate velocity. The British load (sometimes called ".380/200") is a 200 grain FMJ bullet at about the same or slightly less moderate velocity.

The 200 grain load is probably a better defensive load, but presents more recoil.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old August 4, 2012, 08:37 PM   #7
BillM

Factory HP load? None that I know of. The factory
stuff is pretty mild. Still a lot of old top-breaks out
there.

Some reloading data here:

http://www.reloadammo.com/38sw.htm
Old August 4, 2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Quincunx

Thanks, gang!
Old August 4, 2012, 08:42 PM   #9
darkgael

.38 S&W

I load the Lyman 358430 bullet, a 195 grain RN that drops from my mold at .360". The powder is 3.0 grains of Unique for about 700 fps out of my Webley.
You can buy bullets of the proper diameter from Beartooth Bullets among others. The correct bullet profile is the 200 grainer from NEI molds #149a. Proper diameter molds can be had from NEI and from CBE.
Pete
Old August 5, 2012, 01:07 PM   #10
Webleymkv

I agree with others here that 200gr non-expanding bullets are probably about the best you're going to get in .38 S&W. The problem with this cartridge is that it simply can't push a hollowpoint fast enough to expand reliably without reducing the bullet weight so much that penetration is inadequate.

I use the same load as darkgael in my Webley Mk. IV (I use WSP primers, I don't know what he uses), and recoil from that gun is about on par with standard pressure 158gr LRN from an all-steel medium-frame revolver such as a S&W K-Frame. Be aware, however, that 3gr of Unique is well over current book maximum for the Lyman 358430 in .38 S&W (the current Lyman manual lists the max at 1.9gr Unique). .38 S&W load data has historically been kept on the mild side out of deference to weak guns like H&R, Iver Johnson, Hopkins & Allen, Forehand & Wadsworth, and other old top-breaks. Solid frame Colt and S&W revolvers as well as Webley and Enfield top-breaks are much stronger and can handle stouter loads, but you should still work up cautiously.

Another issue is that your mother-in-law's M32 will likely have its sights regulated for 146gr bullets as that has been the standard American loading in this caliber. While heavier bullets can be used, the point of impact will likely be substantially higher. For something that shoots to the sights, I've heard that people often have good luck with 148gr HBWC seated to the same OAL as 146gr LRN bullets although I've not tried it myself.

If you prefer to stick with factory ammunition, Reed's Ammunition makes a version of the .38/200 loading that is reasonably affordable ($25/50 rounds). If you want a factory loading that will shoot to the sights, Fiocchi's 146gr FMJ would probably be your best bet.
Old August 5, 2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Webleymkv

Something else that I forgot to mention in my previous post, Unique is a good powder, but in my experience it doesn't meter well with small charges (<4gr) in my powder measure (Lee Auto Disk Pro). For this reason, if you decide to try handloading .38 S&W with Unique, I strongly recommend that you hand weigh every charge. I was unfortunate enough to learn this only after having to remove a stuck H&G 512 170gr bullet from the barrel of my Webley.

Last edited by Webleymkv; August 6, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old August 6, 2012, 10:12 AM   #12
carguychris

One other potential wrinkle...

I have seen several J frame collectors claim that post-1960s .38S&W Model 32s and 33s were built with .38Spl 0.357"-caliber barrels rather than .38S&W-specific 0.361"-caliber barrels, in order to simplify parts inventories. Although firing oversize bullets would normally be a recipe for a catastrophic gun-destroying kB!, .38S&W is a very low-pressure round, and most historic American loadings use dead-soft lead bullets; consequently, the pressure spike should be mild enough for an all-steel J frame to handle it safely.

Although I personally cannot vouch for the veracity of this claim, it is potentially a Good Thing because it should allow accurate handloads using commonplace 0.358"-caliber lead bullets rather than specialized 0.362"-caliber bullets. However, I would be hesitant to fire full metal jacket .38S&W rounds through one of these guns because the harder bullets could cause squibs.
Old August 6, 2012, 10:43 AM   #13
Salmoneye

The Lyman manual I mentioned specifies Cast bullets from .354"-.360"...

Only way to know is to slug your barrel...
Old August 6, 2012, 12:28 PM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
Only way to know is to slug your barrel...
Yes, BUT you will need a V-block to do it, since S&W uses 5-groove rifling; if you simply take a caliper to the slug, you will not get an accurate reading because a land is directly opposite from each groove.
Old August 6, 2012, 02:57 PM   #15
darkgael

Five groove

Quote:
Yes, BUT you will need a V-block to do it, since S&W uses 5-groove rifling; if you simply take a caliper to the slug, you will not get an accurate reading because a land is directly opposite from each groove.
Or...you can use the old millwright's trick and rotate the slug between the caliper jaws while closing them.
Pete
Old August 6, 2012, 03:43 PM   #16
Jim Watson

I think a .38 S&W Super Police (American designation for .38 - 200, whether S&W or Special.) would have at least as much recoil in a Model 32 as .38 Special standard speed in a Model 10.

Just keep her some fresh standard 146 gr factory loads that she is used to and can handle.

Some years ago, a gunzine writer ran the .38 S&W through several of the computed figures of merit, Hatcher and others, and found it about as effective as a .380 with lighter, faster bullet. And a lot of people depend on the .380 whether they get agreement on the Internet or not.