The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 25, 2008, 05:28 PM   #1
azn505

leupold vs bushnell

I am going to be buying a scope for my new rifle and was wanting some feedback from experienced hunters. i was really intersted in the bushnell 3200 series scopes i saw at the store but thay are priced about the same as leupold vx-1 scopes of same powers. Any suggestions which scope is better or if any other brand is also comporable. i will be spening b/t 250 - 325 for a new scope
Old March 25, 2008, 06:51 PM   #2
fisherman66

Bushnell's Elite offerings are quite good. Leupold doesn't always have the best glass in competitive price ranges, but what L almost always beats the competition with is ergonomics (eye box in particular). Shoulder a rifle with a L scope and start moving your head back and forth/side to side. Repeat with another brand and you typically will find other scopes less forgiving. If you are really consistent with your cheek weld this is less important.

Zeiss, Sightron and Nikon are worth consideration as well. Zeiss is about $75 out of your price range, but the glass quality is about as good as it gets without spendings several hundreds more. The Conquest 3-9x40 is really a nice scope.

Get your eyeball on a bunch of different models and look into the darker corners of the store.
Old March 25, 2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Doyle

Both the Bushnell 3200 and the Leupold VX-1 are good scopes and are about equal in quality with the edge going to Bushnell. What you are getting with the higher priced Leupold is their rock solid warranty.

With Leupold, don't go less than the VX-1. Their Rifleman line of scopes that sells for about $175 are really $75 scopes with a $100 warranty.
Old March 25, 2008, 09:36 PM   #4
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Most firearms sales professionals would love to sell you any Bushnell,
over a Leupold cuz of the dividends (points) earned by the sales staff.
One point to consider, Bushnell does have the "rain guard" feature, and
Leupold does not. Other than that, I prefer Leupold products just 'bout
every time~!
Old March 25, 2008, 11:36 PM   #5
azn505

i might have to go with the bushnell then acsue up north in the mountains all it does in snow or rain during elk season so maybe that will be the way to go bushnell
Old March 27, 2008, 04:02 AM   #6
eastbank

leupold and burris are the way to go,start up cost may be a little higher. but they take care of their scopes after the sale. and over the the long haul ,say 30-35 years of hunting the cost is minimal. it took 17 days to have a burris scope returned after haveing it serviced, it was 14 years old and their was nothing wrong with it,i was selling it to a friend and just wanted to make sure it was alright. eastbank.
Old March 31, 2008, 05:27 AM   #7
SA1911A1/45

Bushnell 3200 over the Leu VX1 is a smart choice.
Check Natchezs, MidSouthShooters, and MidWayUSA for Browning scopes on clearence. These are Bushnell 3200 scopes.
Old April 3, 2008, 01:23 AM   #8
azn505

I found a browning scope in my local paper a 4x12x40 from reading these forums i know it is like a 3200 elite scope but what i was wondering was if it has rainguard witht ehm cause looking on brownings site it doesnt say anything about rainguard
Old April 3, 2008, 01:24 AM   #9
azn505

the guy is trying to sell it for 185 says it is just like brand new
Old April 4, 2008, 11:02 AM   #10
UniversalFrost

ok already answered you other thread on the browning scopes. check online at natchezss.com or midwayusa.com for prices.

The leupold has a better warrantee that the bushnell, but the 3200 is a better scope than the VX-I (I would compare it to a VX-II). Resale is high for both.

The rainguard works very well on the 3200's and the glass is perfect. Lower range leupys are not so great with light transmission at dawn/dusk, but the 3200 is fantastic!

I would go with the 3200 over a VX-II or VX-I . You might also want to look at SWFA.com and check out the Nikon Monarch UCC line of scopes as well.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 4, 2008, 11:37 AM   #11
mikejonestkd

I only own Leupold and Bushnell scopes. I have not had any problems with any of them and I believe I must have had 25+ scopes over the years. I have nothing against Nikon or Burris but I have sold off all of them that I have owned.

The 3200 and 4200 bushnells are IMO the equivalent of the VX-II line of Leupolds, and I can get them for significantly less, so I own more of them than Leupolds. However, my two favorite centerfire range/ varmint rifles wear VX-III scopes though, as does my 1710 KL annie ...so I guess it is a wash as to which one is better.

Rainguard really works so if it is going on a hunting rifle then definetly consider the 3200 and the 4200 series bushnells.
Old April 4, 2008, 01:11 PM   #12
davlandrum

How does the Bushnell Legend series compare to the 3200 series? I hate to go cheap on glass, but I got killed on taxes this year!!!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 4, 2008, 01:27 PM   #13
UniversalFrost

They are ok compared to the 3200, but not in the same class. The legend and dusk to dawn series are good starter scopes or for a truck gun.

I actually have a Legend 4-12x40 on a custom 98 GEW mauser in .243 (heavy sporter/ light varminter contour) that I use on a weekly basis for yote's. It has done well, but the light gathering is not as good as a 3200 or a leupy.

It will get you a good start, but would upgrade later.

Also, check out natchezss.com and they have some good deals. same can be said for midwayusa.com also you might want to look into the Cabelas alsakan series of scopes. they are good and everyone I know that has one has zero complaints or maybe a burris fullfield II .

Old April 4, 2008, 01:37 PM   #14
davlandrum

MJ, thanks for the info, but sounds like I better wait. I need a pistol scope for a SW 460, so if I go cheap it is probably the same as just throwing the money away.

If Uncle Sam would just leave my retirement money alone, I would be happy (and could afford what I want...)

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 4, 2008, 01:48 PM   #15
UniversalFrost

Quote:
If Uncle Sam would just leave my retirement money alone, I would be happy
That is why you need to get VA disability instead of pure retirement. They can't tax the disability payments.

Old April 4, 2008, 03:00 PM   #16
davlandrum

UF - Roger that. I got the standard 10% disability, but honestly that is about right. Little bit of arthritis in my toes, but nothing else.

Oh, wait, that is a good thing!

Old April 4, 2008, 10:22 PM   #17
UniversalFrost

Get the VFW or DAV to help you out! I got 20 off the bat and I fight with the VA everyday to get all my injuries and ailments correctly listed. Heck my little brother was med boarded out after his blackhawk was shot down twice and the whole crew was no longer able to pass a flight physical. they gave him the normal 10% and he got the VFW to help out and he is now at 100% (even though he can barely walk and lives off the disability payment). They make him come in all the time for re evaluations and think that he is cheating the system or something when he has to use a cane and he is only 25. At least his physician is a vietnam vet who is also disabled so he goes easy on my brother.

Anyway, look a little longer for your scopes, you never know when a deal will happen. I just got a Leupold IER scout scope from Hoytinak for $100! If you are still looking for a scope this summer (I get back from my TDY in June) I have a Nikon pistol scope new in the box I would cut you a really good deal on and is a decent starter scope. PM me closer to June if you are still looking then.

JOE

Old April 5, 2008, 05:18 PM   #18
Kermit

I was in the same boat not too long ago and went Leupold because for me, the Leupold glass seemed clearer and the price difference wasn't enough to make the sacrifice
Old April 5, 2008, 06:23 PM   #19
azn505

Ia ctuallyt went and bought the browning scope which from this forum is a 3200 elite scope for 185 in 4x12x40
Old April 5, 2008, 10:34 PM   #20
skeeter1

Quote:
"leupold vs bushnell"
Take a coin out of your pocket and flip it in the air. I have one of each, and they're equal, AFAIC. I've looked at the Nikons, and they're in the same league.

I don't see how you could go wrong with any one of them. If it fits your rifle, works with your eye, is compatible with your budget, there are no losers here.