The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2002, 05:33 PM   #1
AndABeer

Best prices on tumblers?

My Lyman 1200 tumbler just died. Who has good prices on new ones? Returning this one to Lyman is not an option as I kinda butchered it trying to fix it myself.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old June 11, 2002, 05:58 PM   #2
Sisco

www.midwayusa.com
Old June 11, 2002, 07:14 PM   #3
dick w. holliday

Pay the little extra money and get a Dillon--get the small one, the big one is too big and they both have the same motor.......i bought a Midway--it lasted about two weeks....sent it back...they fixed...lasted two more weeks...got money back (Good folks) ....got a Dillon....it's still hummmmmmmmming........Diiiiiiiiiiiiiick
Old June 11, 2002, 08:39 PM   #4
grunewaj

Dick,
It sounds like you had really bad luck with your Midway, tumbler. I've had one for almost a year (I know, not THAT long), and it just keeps on going. Never a minute's problem. I don't remember what it cost when I bought it, but I got a kit (media, polish, bucket, and basket sifter). I really like mine. BTW, I'm glad you like your Dillon, too.

The Midway tumber is pretty popular and I think you just got (TWO!) lemons. AndABeer, I think Midway certainly deserves a look at least.
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken
Old June 11, 2002, 08:51 PM   #5
Sisco

I've been using my Midway for about five years now, no problems. Half the price of the Dillon to boot.
Old June 12, 2002, 06:43 AM   #6
Fabrat

Here's another vote for Midway -- I've had mine for many years with no problems or issues of any kind. I have the model 1292. My buddies who hand load also use that one as well. Good value for the dollar.
Old June 12, 2002, 07:30 AM   #7
BJordan71

I've had a Midway for a little over a year and the white wire to the motor keeps coming loose no matter what I do to connect it. I used to be an electrician so I thought I knew how to do that. Other than that I like mine.
Unless I'm mistaken, the tumbler that Midway sells is actually made by Frankford Arsenal and Boses Guns:

www.bosesguns.com

has a Frankford Arsenal tumbler for $35. If it's the same one that's a deal.

Stay aware,
Stay safe.
TFL#12525
Old June 12, 2002, 09:11 AM   #8
nyetter

I have the Midway kit with the rotary sifter, it's great. Very inexpensive too.
Old June 12, 2002, 09:37 AM   #9
Bacchus

A lot of the stuff sold by Midway is made by Frankford Arsenal, so I wouldn't be surprised if the tumblers are, too. If you shop on Midway's site and click on the product details, it should tell you if it's a FA item.

Also, Cabela's has tumblers for pretty reasonable prices, although I've never personally used one.
Old June 12, 2002, 09:59 AM   #10
Poodleshooter

I've run several pounds of media through my Midway tumbler, and probably 10k+ of brass over the last year. Not a single problem.
Old June 12, 2002, 10:28 AM   #11
Bogie

Don't put your Midway on the carpet - it'll build up heat, and toast itself. Other than that, they work fine.

Go to the grocery, and buy a catbox sifter - About $20 cheaper than the rotary, and works just about as well.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old June 12, 2002, 10:50 AM   #12
Dad-Gummit

Just ordered a Midway a hour ago. They are having a web special on the tumbler,media,rotary sifter,and polish for around $55.00. I went on the sight to get some Acraglass gel and saw the special-I got so excited I forgot to order the Acraglass and had to add it to the order later on.
Old June 15, 2002, 01:28 AM   #13
tmilk

case vibrators

the midway case cleaner has ribs in the bowl and that goofs up the action of the cleaning, the Dillon CV500 will clean more brass twice as fast, and to boot , midway copied Dillons blue color to trick you into thinking it is a Dillon.
Old June 15, 2002, 04:35 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

SINCE I HAVE BOTH

I prefer the Midway; quieter, cleans faster, less floor space.
Old June 15, 2002, 04:37 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

BUT

I use Dillon Rapid Polish: best.

And a timer; I run three long cycles. My cases look better than many new.
Old June 15, 2002, 08:02 AM   #16
maxwayne

I have had my Midway for maybe 10 years and it works great and it gets a lot of use.
Old June 16, 2002, 08:30 PM   #17
mparris71

Cabela's tumbler

Hi,
I have a Cabela's Tumbler its great no problems, holds alot of brass and is very quiet! I have also heard Midways tumbler is great. Only bad feedback I have ever heard about it was on this thread. the guys at "The Reload Bulletin Board" swear by it http://www.reloadbench.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi
MP
Old June 17, 2002, 12:21 PM   #18
keano44

Here's another vote for the Midway 1292 Tumbler Kit. Great package deal, great price.
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44
Old June 17, 2002, 12:29 PM   #19
keano44

WESHOOT2,

Please explain "three long cycles". How long is a cycle? And what is different for each cycle, if anything? What media do you use? Do you use different media per cycle?

Anybody else like to describe their procedure in detail? I'm interested in learning all I can from more experienced folks.
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44
Old June 17, 2002, 01:00 PM   #20
sricciardelli

Geesh...let's take a look at the numbers! And then try to figure out why "cheap" even enters the equation!

The Dillon CV-500 goes for around $79;
The Hornady M2 tumbler goes for around $50;
The Lyman 2200 goes for around $75;
The Midway goes for about $55;
The RCBS goes for around $81.

Now that is only a difference of $31 between the cheapest and the most expensive.

I have had my Lyman tumblers for around 20 years, so that boils down to an additional cost of $1.55 per year between the cheapest and the most expensive.

If $1.55 per year is that important, then maybe, just maybe, reloading is not your hobby.
Old June 17, 2002, 06:42 PM   #21
Watchman

Since my other tumbler died after all these years...

I just got in my Midway tumbler, with treated corncob media, Midway polish, brass sifter with bucket , and clear lid all for 58 bucks.

Total coast with shipping...65.62

Not bad...I've been needing an easier way to get the media out of the brass. That thing works great.

After reading Dad-Gummits post I had to check it out. Had the credit card and the wife was gone....next thing I know its on the way!

Took 3 days to get here.
Old June 17, 2002, 06:47 PM   #22
Watchman

midway copied Dillons blue color to trick you into thinking it is a Dillon.

I dont know about that....I got it to MATCH my Dillon.

I doubt that many people are"tricked" into thinking its a Dillon.

I like all my stuff to match. Most of my stuff is blue, with a couple of green presses to break up the pattern.
Old June 19, 2002, 04:49 AM   #23
whizz

tumblers

check out tumblers for lapidary use at:
rocktumblers

Old June 20, 2002, 11:53 PM   #24
cheygriz

I'll be different and recommend either an RCBS "Sidewinder" or a Thumlers Model "B"

you get the option of using media, or washing with warm water and Tide.

I started washing all of my brass about 12 years ago, and I doubt I'll ever go back to media.

Most commercial reloaders wash their brass in warm water and liquid Tide. It Works!
Old June 21, 2002, 10:01 AM   #25
Warriorsociologist

wow! Great comments!!! Thanks all!