The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 4, 2001, 12:10 AM   #1
MikeK

I'm basicly a handgun guy. Recently acquired a Win Mod 12 12 guage. Pre '65, blueing is in excellent condition except under the pump action, nice wood stock, no cracks but some dings and scrapes, Cutts/Lyman compensator. The compensator has no screws to hold it in (may not be a problem?) but the choke tube will not come out. The frame unscrews and I've put it in a vice, padded of course, and can't get the tube out. I have contacted Lyman/Cutts for comp. advice and will contact Winchester for a manual (none available online).

After doing some research, it seems like a classic gun. I will not get rid of it for a variety of reasons. If I use it for Trap, will it be acceptable, assuming I can fix the comp. problem?

If I just want to use it for home defense would I be ruining a good gun by having the barrell cut down and installing new sights? The current bead sight is on the compensator. The barrell is 22' long and add another 6" with the comp. and tube.

Thanks in advance to any shotgun experts out there for their advice.
Old June 4, 2001, 05:25 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The older I get, the less interested I am in bobbing bbls.

I deeply regret doing some of mine.

There are Model 12 bbls still floating around, I suggest finding a short one and adding it to your weapon for HD.

And, once you get that compensator problem fixed,and the stock fitting right, you'll have an easy shuckin', clay crunching target machine....
Old June 4, 2001, 08:39 PM   #3
ralphtt

Trap Gun with a Cutts . . . ?

Dave . . . true, but the other shooters on your trap squad will have a hard time with the Cutts. Too aggravating to shoot trap next to one. Now, skeet . . . that's a different story; and that is where the M12 with a Cutt's should find a home.
Old June 5, 2001, 05:42 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I doubt it'll be any more aggravating than shooting next to some hotshot with all those #$%^&*( ports cut into his bbl.

Talk about blast!
Old June 5, 2001, 08:30 AM   #5
scoops

YES THE MODEL 12 IS A CLASSIC.MUCH ,MUCH MORE DESIRABLE THAN A MODEL 13.
Old June 5, 2001, 03:29 PM   #6
MikeK

Thanks for all of the advice.

Dave, by any chance do you belong to AGC? I'll be up there this Saturday for the Gathering II working at a handgun station. If you don't belong to any of the member clubs it is a great opportuity to check out the facilities and get a free lunch thrown in. It would be nice to meet some other TFLers in person.
Old June 5, 2001, 04:33 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're welcome,Mike. Another hobby of mine is muzzleloaders and I belong to Marriotsville Muzzleloaders.

Saturday is not my best day this time of year.Most likely I'll have to work. I will be there at the trap range (barring unexpected work) tomorrow around noon for the Geezer League and also noon on Sunday, if you come by ID yourself, always glad to see folks from the sites.Look for a big greyhaired guy with a Dodge van and either a gorgeous 870TB or the ugliest 870 you ever had the bad luck to run across. Yup, might shoot a round with Frankenstein....

And you might want to bring that Model 12 along, and a few boxes of 8s or 7 1/2s. Trap shooting is as addicting and expensive as cocaine, just not illegal nor unhealthy.