The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 25, 2015, 02:49 AM   #1
DaleA

Gun Books I'd Like To See

The firearms industry must be filled with interesting stories. You’d have guns, of course, plus all types of corporate and financial and union shenanigans going on. On the manufacturing side you'd have the change between craftsmen fitting pieces by hand to computer controlled milling machines. Here’s some books I’d like to see.

S&W After WWII-the highs and lows of its finances. The ‘Dirty Harry’ phenomenon. The infamous ‘lock’. Getting more and more into semi-automatics. All the takeovers and modernizations of the company.

Colt After WWII the highs and lows of its finances. The M16. Colt’s dealings with the government.

The NRA From the 1960’s to Present Day-The politics that went on in this period. The technical side of the organization testing and reviewing guns. The educational programs. Acting as the governing body for the shooting sports. Its involvement with Camp Perry, silhouette shooting, the United States Practical Shooting Association, the International Defense Pistol Association etc.

Kimber – its up and down history and how it got into and out of rifles.

Springfield Armory - (the modern company making 1911 type handguns and M14 type rifles and a host of others now days).

M16 History and Development.

A note about the M16, I know there ARE existing books about the M16 but I would not be willing to pay these prices listed on Amazon for these books:
Great Rifle Controversy $170
History and Development of the M16 Rifle and Its Cartridge $212
I’m sure the books are good but that’s too much money for me. (A gun person REALLY should have bought these books when they came out and were cheap. Sigh. Another missed opportunity.)
Old June 25, 2015, 09:59 AM   #2
natman

Quote:
Colt After WWII the highs and lows of its finances. The M16. Colt’s dealings with the government.
That would be a thick book, with a plot too complicated to follow and depressing in its unending tragedy.

Quote:
Kimber – its up and down history and how it got into and out of rifles.
Kimber still makes rifles, although alas, no more 22 rifles.
Old June 25, 2015, 10:07 AM   #3
CowTowner

The Ruger double-action revolvers: A shop manual Volume 2 by Jerry Kuhnhausen.
Volume 1 doesn't include the GP100 or the Redhawks.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old June 25, 2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Skans

The 1st three proposed books would interest me as well. Other titles that I'd find interesting should someone write them:

1. Silencer designs - step by step instructions on what to consider when building a silencer including extreme and unusual silencer designs

2. Innovative and Unusual Pistol designs

3. An up-to-date "Who's Who" in the Firearm Industry.

4. Gunsmithing for Dummies
Old June 25, 2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Mosin-Marauder

I would like to see some books about shooting in other countries, particularly Germany, Eastern European Countries, and Russia. As well as firearms designs from those countries.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old June 28, 2015, 01:32 AM   #6
bamaranger

modern gunfighters

I'd like to see a book on the "good guys" of gunfighting, to include Sam Woodfill and Alvin York all the Gmen, Sherriffs, and PD types that have fought and won.

Askins, I guess, Jim Cirrillo, Hamer, etc
Old June 28, 2015, 03:07 AM   #7
10-96

+1 what Mosin said. I've seen snippets on some European countries competitions, Running Target matches, etc. Even once read somewhere about Norway(???) requiring so many successful hits on a moving target before a license is issued to hunt certain critters. Look at all the old match and target rifles at Simpson LTD- those have to have some cool story lines behind whatever clubs they belonged to. And what happened to those clubs? Stuff along those lines is what I would like to read.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 28, 2015, 05:36 AM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The NRA From the 1960’s to Present Day-The politics that went on in this period.
Chris Know, Neal's son, recently published the Gun Rights War. It covers the Cincinnati Revolt and subsequent events from Neal's point of view.

It requires a certain amount of skepticism, as it's one person's take on things. However, Neal was instrumental in the shift towards more emphatic support of the RKBA, so it's an interesting read.
Old June 28, 2015, 05:59 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

I wish Wild Bill Hickcock and Wyatt Earp wrote their memoirs. Ditto for John Moses Browning.
Old June 28, 2015, 06:29 AM   #10
Doogle

DaleA - a book you may find interesting...>

"Deadly Business: Sam Cummings, Interarms, and the Arms Trade", by Patrick Brogan.

A good read. Some info in the reviews below:

http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Busines...s%2C+Interarms
Old June 28, 2015, 06:36 AM   #11
745SW

Glock, The Rise Of America's Gun, is a interesting read. I thought the 40+ min. mp3 on npr.org was good enough but as most informercials it's just part of the book. As with most successes timing appears to be largely blind luck.
Old June 28, 2015, 07:36 AM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd like to see Louis Awerbuck's columns in SWAT magazine compiled into a book.
Old July 13, 2015, 01:52 AM   #13
FlySubCompact

I seem to recall reading an article called (I think) "The guns that won the East" or something along those lines. It basically touched on the inexpensive, and numerous brands of commonly carried "pocket guns" that most folks actually did have that were not as flashy/big/flashy as the famous "cowboy" sidearms. Little .22's/.32's/38's. Would like to see a more in depth book on those.

I used to read to my children a lot and I recall a book where Laura Ingalls' (Little House) daughter wrote about how her mother had to get the little .38 she carried in to a gunsmith for repairs. Those Iver's, HR's, and a bunch more whose names have gone the way of the Dodo.

BTW, I never would have suspected that "Half Pint" was packin' from watching the TV show.