The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 14, 2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Gehrhard

Dit is mijn nieuw Nederlands musket!

Dutch .62
U?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dutch Flintlock Musket - Early crop comp.JPG (173.7 KB, 134 views)
Old August 14, 2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Hawg

Looks like a modern build of one.
Old August 14, 2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Gehrhard

Um... Ja.
Old August 14, 2011, 07:01 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

That is beautiful! I'm partial to flintlock smoothbores - I have a fusil de chasse myself. Thanks for posting and sharing with us - you can be proud of that one! Very, very nice!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 14, 2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Hawg

Bedbug without pics it ain't so.
Old August 14, 2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Bill Akins

I'm no expert on these types of rifles, but that is beautiful.

Das ist ein sehr schone jager gewehr Gehrhard! Wunderbar!

Bitte enchuldigin, ich spraken ein sehr bichen Deutsch, ich kannen nicht spraken Nederlander. Mein muter familia kommen aus Deutchland in der alten tag. Kanst du verstadt mein nicht gut Deutch Lol?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; August 17, 2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old August 15, 2011, 04:28 AM   #7
l.cutler

I think Leonard Day guns are the best value in muzzleloaders today. I have two other smoothbores, neither of which have even been fired in the three years since I got my Dutch gun. The club butt may look awkward but is the best handling gun I own. I hope you like yours half as much as I like mine!
Old August 15, 2011, 05:08 AM   #8
swopjan

i'm jealous. everybody's got a percussion .50, this is the first .62 i've ever seen, and a flintlock too! where did you get it? how much? probably too rich for my blood...

Quote:
The club butt may look awkward but is the best handling gun I own.
glad to hear it, was wondering about that.
Old August 15, 2011, 05:17 PM   #9
William Gilmore

Bill, does your spellchecker speak Deutsch? Ich hat fur zwei jahre im Deutschland geleben. Aber Meine deutsch ist Sehr schlecht. Und Ich kan nicht Nederlander sprechen.
Old August 15, 2011, 07:27 PM   #10
Gehrhard

Both your German is good enough. Dutch is a teutonic language (as is English actually). I used to be able to read much of it -- Dutch, not English. Well, you know what I mean. Anyway, I truly insulted/angered a coupla Dutch fellas I shared that with who thought our little Eastern mountains a joke compared to theirs -- until they actually hiked them and begged me for a lift to the nearest bus station once they got to a gap!
Old August 15, 2011, 10:31 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Both the foreend and the fishbelly of the stock looks too flat to my eyes. You may want to see one at some museum and take your #49 Nicholson to it. I think they also inletted the trigger guard too.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:36 PM   #12
Gehrhard

Might want to see one at a museum but it would look like...
...mine.

These are modelled after rare but incomplete muskets and parts. There were no complete guns, and were made for Dutch museums to demonstrate what one looked like.
Old August 17, 2011, 12:13 AM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gehrhard - Your musket may well be a replica that is 100% accurate of something in some museum. I'm no expert. However, I based my opinion on ones I've seen. Here's some images I found at Paul's Antique Arms & Armour.

Old August 17, 2011, 05:36 AM   #14
Bill Akins

That snaplock/snaphaunce you showed 4v50Gary compared to Gehrhard's flintlock brings up a lot of questions in my mind regarding the flintlock (style) actions, regarding what the differences are between a flint lock, snap lock, snaphaunce, Miqulet, etc. But I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll start a new one for that.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old August 18, 2011, 06:59 AM   #15
Gehrhard

Nice But, Just, Wow!

You post a picture of:

"A RARE LATE 17TH/EARLY 18TH CENTURY NORTHERN ITALIAN/BRESCIAN SNAPHANCE FOWLER, by "ANTONIO FRANZINO", ca. 1690:"

...with regard to the Dutch cross-sear flintlock's thread? That Italian snaphaunce is a half-stock gun by the way.

I actually understand what you're saying, but...

http://www.ambroseantiques.com/flongarms.htm
Old August 19, 2011, 01:22 AM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you scroll further down, there is a Dutch musket. My only point is that I'm just used to seeing stocks a bit more rounded and not as flat as the one shown in your pictures. I may be wrong and I certainly do not call myself an expert on Dutch muskets. Besides, all my reference books are packed away and will be that way for a while. I encourage anyone who is interested to search around. I suspect that Eric Goldstein (sp) at Colonial Williamsburg is far more knowledgeable and has much more material at his disposal. So will Springfield Armory Historic Site. Maybe even Les Jensen at the West Point Military Academy Museum. I'm certain that the Smithsonian History Museum can help too.
Old August 19, 2011, 07:13 AM   #17
orangello

That is a beautiful weapon.
Old August 20, 2011, 07:10 AM   #18
Lee McNelly

Dit is mijn nieuw Cabelas musket!

i think its nice too