The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 9, 2006, 05:35 PM   #1
King_chin0

The Bullethole

Hi everyone, I'm from Kansas City Missouri, and I go to the indoor range called The Bullethole by Shawnee, Kansas. If anyone is interested in joinging me at the range send me a PM and we can meet up at the range and shoot some targets and help each other out with problems at the range, mostly I will be needing the help since I'm such a rookie, lol
Old November 8, 2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Adventurer 2

I used to go to the Bullet Hole - until I found the free range up by KCI airport. It is either off of 435 or 29 towards St Joseph. I don't know it is one of those locations I have to be on the ground driving to find.
I own a house in Shawnee but I won't be back there for probably another year.
Old November 9, 2006, 11:32 PM   #3
King_chin0

Oh I see, so the bullethole is much closer to you. I have heard of this range, my friends told me about it, I might have to go see if it is worth the drive
Old November 10, 2006, 12:13 AM   #4
HuntAndFish

King,

There is a small practical shooting club organized at the bullethole. Thought you might be interested. Good bunch of guns and shooting fun....

http://www.bhpsc.com/index.html
Old November 10, 2006, 02:07 AM   #5
King_chin0

Yea, a cool guy that works up at the Bullethole has told me about this, his name's Johnny. Thanks for the link, I wouldn't have found it in a million years
Old November 10, 2006, 06:04 PM   #6
Adventurer 2

That looks like a club I would like to join whenever I come home. My home is very close to Mill Creek.
Old November 11, 2006, 12:19 AM   #7
King_chin0

Oh ok. Hey you should send me a PM when you get back so we can meet up at the Bullethole on a weekend, I was looking for the Range up by KCI airport, and I couldn't find it. Do they have a name?

Last edited by King_chin0; November 12, 2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old November 19, 2006, 02:19 AM   #8
HuntAndFish

Are you talking about Show-me Shooters? This is in Claycomo (in the Northland, but not too close to KCI). It's the only indoor shooting range I know about in North KC.

http://www.showmeshooters.com/
Old November 19, 2006, 10:12 AM   #9
Adventurer 2

I do not know the name of the range and I can't provide directions other than I know I drive towards Kansas City International from Cabelas and take an exit off of the Interstate somewhere around the airport. I don't know which exit it is. I just recognize it when I see it. It is an outdoor range. There is an area to shoot shotguns (bring your own thrower). There is an archery range also. A short drive from the shotgun area is a pistol and rifle range. These are free ranges. Maybe somebody on here knows what I am talking about.
Old November 19, 2006, 04:09 PM   #10
weapons_762

free range

hi all

the range i think your talking about is Pigeon Hill , Missouri Conservation range.

it's off I-29 , about 7 miles south of St. joe.

Exit I-29 at the Fawcett? exit , turn towards the truck stop , follow the road till you hit a "T" intersection, turn right "north" follow that north, you'll hit a "Y" intersection, stay to the right, follow that up to "A" hiway? turn right , you'll cross back over I-29, keep going, till you see the sign, follow sign into the range.

i shoot there as much as i can , it had rifle, pistol, and a skeet range.

Weps Out!!
Old November 19, 2006, 04:53 PM   #11
kc-griz

I just returned about an hour ago from an afternoon at Pigeon Hill with my Dad. We shot a mess of .45's and .40's. Literally was a blast.

Wepes described how to get to Pigeon Hill is correct except to turn right on "O" highway not "A". Missouri has some weird and unimaginative county highway designations.

The other range by the airport is called Platte Falls shooting area and is free. It's off of "KK" highway (yes, weird), to the East of I-29 just North of Platte City. It has an archery range and shotgun only range, (you bring your own thrower) but I am not aware of any pistol/rifle range in that area. I live only about 4 miles from that range and certainly wouldn't make the trip to St. Joe's Pigeon Hill range which is about a 20 mile trip one way.

There is a Mo Conservation dept range called Parma Woods of 45 Hwy and I-435 just south of the airport. It's pay range, monitored by range officials (more like range nazi's) and features a covered firing line pistol/rifle range and skeet range. Cost is like $4/hr per shooter.

Another Mo. Conservation range is Lake City on 7 hwy which is East of Independence and North. Similarly run at Parma Woods.

Indoor private ranges are scattered and few. Independence has Crossfire range and there's the Claycomo range (Show-me shooters) that I know of. There's also an indoor range in St. Joe which I don't recall the name right now. And of course there's the Bullethole in Shawnee.
Old November 19, 2006, 07:03 PM   #12
Adventurer 2

Pigeon Hill is the range that I have been talking about. Thanks for the directions.
Old November 19, 2006, 07:16 PM   #13
King_chin0

Thanks alot guys, if anyone is interested to join me at the shooting range this Saturday 11-25-06 you are welcome to join me. I will be at Pigeon Hills, if interested send me a PM and we can meet up and shoot some guns
Old November 28, 2006, 09:38 PM   #14
weapons_762

hey chino

i was there saturday, with a few of my other friends, gonna try and get back there this sat, but theirs a gunshow this weekend , hoping to have a new toy this week to play with.

Weps Out!
Old December 2, 2006, 01:59 AM   #15
King_chin0

Yes I will be at the Gun Show, trying to find me a new toy as well. The one at Three Trails right?
Old December 2, 2006, 09:00 PM   #16
badbob

The Bullethole

Oh, it's an indoor range. I thought somebody opened a thread about a bar I used to go to!

badbob
Old December 2, 2006, 09:56 PM   #17
kc-griz

A little interesting history on the Bullethole range:

Back in 1964 a plan to build an indoor shooting range like no other in existence was born. The men with this magnificent idea set out to build what is now called “The Largest Indoor Shooting Range in the World.” The plan called for a two level complex with 22 public shooting stalls on the main level and a duplicate lower level for law enforcement and competition matches. The plan spent two years in development before construction was commenced.

October 1966 provided the scenery for the B.E. Hodgdon Company to break ground for this great shooting facility. The facility would spend the next year in construction and in December 1967 the grand opening occurred. The event was witnessed by many along with pretty stewardesses to perform the ribbon cutting when the facility was christened “The Bullet Hole.” The festivities of the grand opening included real fire demonstrations by Bill Jordan and the Kansas Highway Patrol and special appearances by top firearm industry executives. For the next 13 years The Bullet Hole was operated by the Hodgdon Company until being sold.

In 1981 The Bullet Hole was purchased by the current owner Richard Stovall. His philosophy is to run the company with a family type atmosphere and that philosophy is ever present when someone walks in the door. The Bullet Hole is more that just a shooting range and gun shop, but a friendly, familiar place for all who frequently visit it. The people at The Bullet Hole are always glad to help you and strive to build long-term, personal relationships with all of their customers.

Today, little has changed since The Bullet Hole opened its doors to the public nearly 36 years ago. The facility operates 7 days a week and the B.E. Hodgdon Powder Company is still their neighbor.
Old December 5, 2006, 04:55 AM   #18
King_chin0

Yes KC-griz, I definately love the environment at the Bullethole, its very friendly, and family like as they have said. All the employees are very nice and helpful.

I cannot find Pigeon Hills for crap. I was on O highway and I cannot find it at all!
Old December 5, 2006, 09:43 AM   #19
kc-griz

Quote:
I cannot find Pigeon Hills for crap. I was on O highway and I cannot find it at all!
If you turned right onto O hwy, it's about a mile or so to a sign on the right indicating a Missouri Conservation range. After turning right, you'll pass the landfill on the left then go all the way down the hill. Bear right at the bottom of the hill and you'll be right at the range on the right.

Here's some maps to help out:

Old December 6, 2006, 01:53 AM   #20
King_chin0

Thanks alot KC-griz. You help is much appreciated. Now I can finally go haha.