The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2005, 03:43 PM   #1
FP-74

remington primers in lee autoprime

Will remington primers work safely in Lee autoprime? I know Lee says use CCI or Winchester but the guy who sold them to me at the gun shop said Remington wil be "ok". Just want to sure (you can't be too careful)!
Thanks
Old March 9, 2005, 03:46 PM   #2
m0ntels

I ran them through once when the store was out of Winchesters. It didnt seem to mind them... Observe normal safety rules. I'm sure I'll eventually run Federals through there too, plenty of other people have without probs.

Randy
Old March 9, 2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've put quite a few thousand through mine without a problem.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 9, 2005, 04:31 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

They're fine. I ran about 1000 Large Pistol Remingtons through my Lee with no problems.
Old March 9, 2005, 04:50 PM   #5
donkee

Ran 1000 through mine just last month. Probably another 1000 this month, haven't killed myself yet.......
Old March 9, 2005, 05:21 PM   #6
m0ntels

Not to try and hijack this at all, but I've read the Lee book but still dont quite gather why he says not to use Feds or Rems in the AutoPrime. As far as I know, I've never heard Lee was in cahoots or anything with any other manufacturers, so why wouldnt this thing be dangerous with other primers? Pistols with worn firing pins or too light hammer springs wont set off some primers, let alone a tool with a slow steady push with a force distributed over about 95% of the surface area of the primer. I've crushed a few primers to half their size in my tool and still havent had one go off. I just dont really see how it'd be possible to blow this thing up. Anyone got any ideas? I'm not about to go seeking a way to blow a tray of primers, I just want to know how it'd even be possible.

Randy
Old March 9, 2005, 09:16 PM   #7
CaptainRazor

I've used just about every make of primers in my Lee AutoPrime.

Haven't had any troubles so far.
Side note: I use a lot of military brass, we all know how hard they can be to work with sometimes, even after the primer pockets have been swagged.
Old March 10, 2005, 12:53 AM   #8
redrooster2

Remington primers work fine. I'm curious, doesn't the same company -- Blount -- own both CCI and Federal?
Old March 10, 2005, 09:23 AM   #9
FP-74

thanks

Thanks folks, I went ahead and used them and everything was fine.
I'll be firing my first round this afternoon...wish me luck!
Old March 10, 2005, 01:57 PM   #10
Poodleshooter

Quote:
Remington primers work fine. I'm curious, doesn't the same company -- Blount -- own both CCI and Federal?
Yup, but their primers have different sensitivities. Federals are known for being very sensitive and easy to ignite. CCI's are pretty hard and are safe for use in firearms with floating firing pins,but may fail to go off in guns with reduced hammer or striker power.
Old March 10, 2005, 11:03 PM   #11
CaseyC

What poodleshooter said.

Also, I've ran about every type of primer available in Large Rifle, through two Lee Autoprimes (I wore one out). Some primer cups are harder (CCI) others are somewhat softer (Win, CCI BR) others relatively softer (Fed, Rem). Magnum primers are, generally speaking, somewhat harder than their Large Rifle counterparts. Then there is the sensitivity of the anvil and primer material.

Casey