The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2005, 08:24 PM   #1
TGC

Loading for a Marlin Guidegun

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Over the last couple of years i have been loading for a Marlin Guidegun chamber in of course 45 70. The load I have been using is new Rem. brass with a 300gr. Rem. JHP, on top 62.5 grs. of IMR 4198. While this load shoots fine and kills deer like lightning, i have noticed extreme strech marks at the head of the case. I really like the preformance of this load as it shoots a respectable 3- 31/2 in. group at 100 and as I have said kills deer right wherethey stand, however I am afarid of a case head seperation, any thoughts. or should I just call Garret and order some of this beefed up brass? Enjoy Your Shooting Tom (TGC)