The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 16, 2014, 03:16 PM   #1
new_camper

Coyote Scope for Closer Range

Looking for something on a budget for a coyote optic. It will be on an AR 15 in 223. I am in the southeast and the shots aren't really long here with the longest where I hunt being 200 and the closest would be in your lap. Anyway like I said I am on a budget of about 200 bucks. I might be able to find wiggle room but things are tight right now.

I did see the leupold 1-4 hog scope for 230 and the vx1 2x7 for 220. Which would be better for my situation, or any other suggestions?

What does nikon have that is similar
Old October 16, 2014, 05:53 PM   #2
603Country

I'd go for the slightly higher magnification range of the 2-7. As for which manufacturer, they will all probably be Ok. Others might have more specific scope recommendations.
Old October 16, 2014, 07:23 PM   #3
SSA

I'd go for the 2-7, for the magnification and the bigger objective. There are plenty of options from various brands.
I'd probably get the Burris FFII.
Old October 17, 2014, 07:51 PM   #4
burrhead

I'm not trying to be a jerk but under 200 yards just use irons. It's not like you're gonna eat it. If you must have a scope look at a Weaver fixed 4X. It's a good scope well within your budget.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old October 17, 2014, 09:43 PM   #5
603Country

Irons are fine except in the dim light of dawn and dusk. When that became clear to me in the swamps of Louisiana, I got a 4 power scope. Then I got meat.
Old October 18, 2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Snyper

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk but under 200 yards just use irons. It's not like you're gonna eat it. If you must have a scope look at a Weaver fixed 4X. It's a good scope well within your budget.
That might work in the clear desert air, with little cover.

The Southeast can be more like a rain forest where you may need to shoot through tiny open spots

Your idea is also far more suited to people under 40 years old

I'd go with the 2 X 7 because more magnification makes it far easier to hold on smaller targets
Old October 18, 2014, 09:16 PM   #7
burrhead

Snyper, you make a good point about the desert air vs the humidity in the East but we do fight mirage and WIND. I still believe 4X is plenty for optics. As to vision/age, I'm 62, use cheaters to read, and "own" the 8" gong at 200 while sitting. That's using straight up A2 sights on a carbine. But then I shoot at least once a week.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old October 18, 2014, 09:46 PM   #8
new_camper

I have been using irons but in the fading light they are hard to see. In the day time irons are no problem. I popped a groundhog (crop damage) at a measured 135 yards recently with irons so I can hit a coyote no problem. The problem lies in my eyes and fading light.
Old October 18, 2014, 09:55 PM   #9
SSA

Since you mentioned fading light, consider a 3-9X40 for the bigger objective. You can always leave it on 3X when you don't want more.
VX1, Burris, Vortex diamondback, everybody makes a 3-9.
Old October 19, 2014, 12:27 AM   #10
Snyper

Quote:
Snyper, you make a good point about the desert air vs the humidity in the East but we do fight mirage and WIND.
Mirage isn't that big a deal here, since the vegetation keeps things relatively cool.

The only time I notice it at all is sometimes target shooting at powers from 14-20 across cultivated fields in the Summer

Wind can be a bother in some locations, but unless one is in the coastal plain, there really aren't a lot of vast open spaces without something to block the wind

In the woods, neither of those are much concern
Old October 19, 2014, 07:17 AM   #11
Jimro

If you have a flat top M4 style upper receiver on your AR, I would suggest a Redfield 3-9x42 if you are worried about price, and the Redefield 3-9x52 if you are worried more about light gathering performance.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163...-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343...e-medium-matte

Hope this helps.

Jimro
Old October 19, 2014, 09:30 AM   #12
Beentown71

I use dual optics on my Yote rifle. I hunt 300 acre fields connected to other 300 acre fields with small woodlots and fence rows.

My shots can be 400 yards or as close as 20. So I run a Vortex Viper with a 50 mm objective (gathers more light) and a red dot on a DD one o'clock mount. Works well for me.