The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 11, 2013, 02:02 AM   #1
alaskabushman

I finally have an AR.....7

So I picked up an AR-7 from back when it was made by Survival Arms Inc. I got it for $50, and since it was cheap and something I've always thought about owning I nabbed it. I didnt like how the floating stock made it look, kinda fat and chunky. I purchased a pistol grip stock from AR-7.com and that helped. It still had an ugly silver finish that was flaking off, so I brushed and sanded most of the old finish off and spray painted the gun with stove/grill paint (its high heat and dries hard, plus it was on hand ), now it looks pretty cool. However, it does not like cycling standard velocity .22 LR ammo. I ran a magazine of CCI Stingers through it just to see and they worked flawless. Round nose Blazers or American eagle are problematic. Stovepipes happen frequently, and often it will eject the spent case and slam a fresh one into the chamber but didnt cock the gun. So my question is this, can I cut a few coils off the spring to provide less resistance to the bolt during firing? It seems that the spring is too strong, often preventing a spent case from ejecting or not cocking the hammer. Thoughts? Any love (or hate) for the AR-7 out there? Pictures of your builds?

Last edited by alaskabushman; June 12, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old June 11, 2013, 04:16 PM   #2
g.willikers

If memory serves, the AR7 has twin action springs.
So, use caution in making them shorter.
They are kind of picky about where and how you hold them, in order to function well.
They are sensitive about any kind of pressure on the magazine, which is a very handy support position.
Also check for a burr on the chamber entrance, caused by accidental dry firing.
It's kind of hard to avoid in a semi auto with 8 round mags.
Hope this helps.
Old June 14, 2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Thoughts?
Yep, you have an AR-7. I have heard stories of polishing the feed ramp well and good with a dremel, a felt pad and some polishing compound having some positive effects. Never tried it though. Every Ar-7 I ever shot never made it through a full magazine so I never bothered with one.

Figure you can't make it any worse.
Old June 14, 2013, 05:18 PM   #4
g.willikers

This is probably a long shot.
But if you want a good AR7, try to find one of the originals, the ones made by Armalite.
They had to work and do, as they were for the military, as well as for the civilian market.
Old June 15, 2013, 06:47 PM   #5
bamaranger

Henry

Doesn't Henry Rifle Co. do the AR-7 now, al la Henry Survival Rifle?

The one we have (Henry made) runs like a sewing machine.

Maybe they'd sell you some parts, or have some tips.

Worth a try.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:50 PM   #6
vkeith

Henry does sell parts for the AR7 to the public. They will sell you any part except for the receiver. I ordered several AR7 parts from them for the one I bought used several years ago, and I received quick, friendly service from them. Their website used to list the parts but now it's are only showing extra magazines for the AR7.

You can download the manual, and use the part numbers (w/prices) in it to contact Henry at 201-858-4400. Kathy Scarpa is their customer service rep. for parts and repairs.

Last edited by vkeith; June 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM.