The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 11, 2010, 08:56 AM   #1
booker_t

Glock Trainer, with resetting trigger?

Check out the SIRT, reviewed by David Crane at Defense Review.

"March 8, 2010

Recently, at SHOT Show 2010, DefenseReview got to view and handle what we believe could prove to be one of the most important pistol training (and shooting training, in general) products ever developed, in terms of training hardware designed specifically to enhance and improve the shooter’s “software”, i.e. his/here shooting skill set. That might sound like hyberbole, considering that there are so many training products that have already been developed, but we’re serious. We think this new product could be just that important, provided it lives up to all the hype, and is reliable and durable under hard use......."

http://www.defensereview.com/sirt-tr...ger-mechanics/
Old March 11, 2010, 09:06 AM   #2
greyson97

thats pretty cool, however, as stated in the article, anyone with a DA/SA pistol can make their own by buying a laser sight that has a remote pressure pad and put it behind the trigger. I might try that on my px4

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 11, 2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Silent Bob

Kind of funny-sounding, but I found an old Nintendo Zapper in my stepfather's closet and thought it would make a good Glock dry-fire trainer. The grip felt sort of like a Glock's, and the trigger, while not a pivoting-type, felt mushy like a Glock's and complete with the SPPRROOINNNG at the end. If I ever feel the need to shoot Glocks again I may have to dig it back out and use it for dry-fire practice.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:22 AM   #4
B18C5-EH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent bob
Kind of funny-sounding, but I found an old Nintendo Zapper in my stepfather's closet and thought it would make a good Glock dry-fire trainer. The grip felt sort of like a Glock's, and the trigger, while not a pivoting-type, felt mushy like a Glock's and complete with the SPPRROOINNNG at the end. If I ever feel the need to shoot Glocks again I may have to dig it back out and use it for dry-fire practice.
HAHAHA!!! I said the exact same thing the first time I shot my Glock 39!

"This kind of feels like the trigger on the Nintendo gun from Duck Hunt"

Man if you could take that Nintendo gun apart and add a stiffer spring it would be as good as one of those blue Glock training guns...lol.
Old March 11, 2010, 12:42 PM   #5
booker_t

I think the key feature here is a trigger that resets without racking the slide, a major hinderance in many people's opinion because you can't practice double-taps. It also requires you to break your grip after every dry shot, which may or may not be detrimental. The laser pointer just aids in confirmation that you aren't pulling shots offline, but doesn't affect trigger action. Some people will put a sliver to cardboard between the chamber and the slide to keep it slightly open, which allows continuous trigger pulls, but not does actually reset the trigger.

RE Nintendo guns, while you may feel the trigger is similar, the point here is to have a full-weight duty Glock that can be holstered and used as part of operational training, not just dry-fire.

As you are probably aware, there's extensive research ongoing about what LEOs see and do during the few tens of milliseconds when they decide to deploy lethal force. Some claim clear and crisp front sight picture, some recall the effect of training on their grip and trigger pull, some simply remember drawing and squeezing as fast as they could. With my science background, I would be interested in integrating additional instrumentation into the training pistol to measure grip pressure, force applied to the trigger, and perhaps even track the user's eyes to further investigate physiological responses to life-threatening stimuli, then attempt to quantify the effects of various training methods, then attempt to optimize training for the sort of encounters and operational requirements expected from LEO to Military and other.

Last edited by booker_t; March 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Tags
control , glock , semiauto , training , trigger