The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 30, 2006, 04:13 PM   #26
skeeter1

Wilderness?

Quote:
Is there any wilderness east of the Mississippi?
Yes, there certainly is. I'm guessing you've never been to big chunks of PA, Southern OH, upstate NY, VA, WVA, or KY. There's still plenty of wilderness here.

I suggest you get a good first-aid kit:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MKT1030-20859-538.html

and some potable-aqua tablets:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWN343-249-550.html

and some MREs:

http://theepicenter.com/mre_military...dy_to_eat.html

I keep about a dozen-or-so around for "just in case." If they're good enough for my young friend currently stationed in Baghdad, they're good enough for me.
Old August 30, 2006, 08:31 PM   #27
Arizona Fusilier

The best training is "hands-on"; I don't think there is anything practical you could rehearse for the awful scenario you described, or that you would want to.

Hunting and fishing are the two that have the most applicability to long term situations, and they can be fun, too. That's the primary reason I go out every year.

Other than that, read alot. I confess, I have found a few of these links interesting and have added them to my favorites.

One other thing; figure out the exact parameters under which you would "bug out" and discuss them frankly and forthrightly with your family ahead of time. All the planning you make will go out the window when your wife/SO insists you remain where you're at because you can't take the family china.
Old August 31, 2006, 01:34 PM   #28
threegun

Katrina proved to my family that I am not a crazy gun nut but rather prepared. I had been telling them for years to get prepared with only a chuckle as a response. Now they realize that I was right. If the time comes and things are so bad as to have to bug out there will be not questions from the wife. If one does pop up surprisingly a simple trip into the bug out bag for some duct tape and off we go LOL.

tINY, As it stands now my kit contents are theoretical or better put untested. I plan on testing some of the snare traps and shelter constructing information soon. My boys love the camping type trips. Information is crucial.
Old August 31, 2006, 02:01 PM   #29
Mikeyboy

Like skeeter said, there are lots of woods east of the Ol' Miss, From the Pocono Mountains across Northern PA and Southern NY and into parts of OH is a vast stretch of prime wilderness, aka my favorite hunting grounds. The Blue Ridge mountains, Smokey Mt Nation Park, Finger Lakes, Everglades, most of WV, Heck they filmed Deliverance in GA. Unfortunately unlike the West we have more private land here that has been developed. I think the ratio between Public/Protected land and Private land is a lot greater in the west than the east. The east has been settled longer, so less unspoiled woods, but there is still a good portion left. I'll admit though, unlike out West if you get lost in the eastern wood all you need is to walk 20 miles straight in any direction and you will hit a house, road, or some sort of civilization. I have been to CO, WY, AZ and in some areas where it seems there is not a soul for hundreds of mile.

Back to the subject of the post. Big things you need to think about in survivial prep regardless of the situation is Water, Food, Fire, Shelter, and Protection. Rule of thumb seems to be food and water for 3 days, otherwise pack according to the enviroment you are likely to be in. As long as you understand the basic concept of how to hunt/trap/kill/prepare an animinal, how to find/decontaminate water, how to make an improvised shelter, how to make fire, how to defend yourself (2 and 4 legged threats) and how to take care of yourself and others (first aid, basic hygiene, sewing, etc.) you will be fine.
Old September 2, 2006, 11:30 AM   #30
garryc

I see some mention of MRE's in theis post. I don't have them in my pack. I carry two boxes of high energy bars. They are sufficiant to get me to the point I can forage.

My pack is light.
Two coils soft wire
3 1/4" snares without stops
Pack packers water filter.
3 knives
small aluminum pot with lid
Rain gear
8x8 sheet of plactic
2 bankets
plant I.D books
meds
first aid kit