The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2010, 05:18 PM   #1
BombthePeasants

New to Reloading: Case cleaning

Hello everyone, I have now set up a rudimentary reloading station, and am beginning preparations on my first ever load of .45ACP ammunition. I have tumble cleaned all my brass, and am now at the depriming stage, and I have a question:

For the carbon on the inside of the tumbled cases, is it necessary for me to expend any effort to scrub it off? I am aware that I will need to clean the carbon off the primer pocket, but it's the inside walls of the case I'm asking about.
Old January 29, 2010, 05:20 PM   #2
lev83

No sir just leave things as they are.
Old January 29, 2010, 05:53 PM   #3
Don H

Quote:
I am aware that I will need to clean the carbon off the primer pocket
That's solely a matter of personal preference. Many reloaders don't bother, especially on handgun rounds.
Old January 29, 2010, 05:58 PM   #4
BombthePeasants

Ahh, so is that step mainly for rifle reloading then?
Old January 29, 2010, 08:51 PM   #5
chris in va

Think of the case interior as a combustion chamber. I'd clean the primer pocket long before that.
Old January 29, 2010, 08:58 PM   #6
ojibweindian

For my 45 ACP loads, I don't bother with removing carbon from the primer pockets.
Old January 29, 2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
For the carbon on the inside of the tumbled cases, is it necessary for me to expend any effort to scrub it off?
Nope. Don't even waste your time. You won't harm a thing.

Quote:
I am aware that I will need to clean the carbon off the primer pocket...
Need? Not at all in the least. You do not need to clean the primer pocket. For the longest time I did thinking you HAD to just because. I have since been converted....thank God...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 29, 2010, 09:05 PM   #8
lev83

no this is not an inherient task related to rifle reloading. It is just an unecessary process.
Old January 30, 2010, 08:37 PM   #9
qcpunk

Just a note on the primer pocket; Is it necessary? Not necessarily (haha, sounded funny in my head ). If you are loading for "supreme accuracy" then yeah sure, go for it. But if you're just loading for plinking ammo, no worries there. However, some people and/or some casings may have difficulties seating the primers all the way with out cleaning the pocket first. IF this is the case, clean the pockets. otherwise don't worry about it.
Old February 2, 2010, 02:34 PM   #10
BombthePeasants

wow, thanks guys. I was beginning to worry that I'd need to go buy all those fancy little tools in the Midway USA catalog. I guess those exist for benchrest shooters, who are supremely anal retentive regarding their cases? I don't mean that in a negative way, just super careful...
Old February 2, 2010, 04:13 PM   #11
RidgwayCO

"...who are supremely anal retentive regarding their cases..."

HEY! I resemble that remark! No really, I clean my primer pockets (rifle and handgun) after every firing because my process makes it easy, and I like knowing my primer is sitting squarely on the bottom of the pocket. I'm not loading giga-amounts of rounds at a sitting, so I can afford to take my time. To me, it's all just part of my reloading habit.
Old February 2, 2010, 04:47 PM   #12
islander

I clean primer pockets primarily as a means to inspect the cases. I use an RCBS steel brush chucked into an old draftsman's electric eraser and it's zip-quick.
Old February 2, 2010, 05:21 PM   #13
BombthePeasants

Wow! I had never thought of using an old electric eraser! I bet my father has a few sitting around the office...
Old February 3, 2010, 07:54 AM   #14
mongoose33

Quote:
wow, thanks guys. I was beginning to worry that I'd need to go buy all those fancy little tools in the Midway USA catalog. I guess those exist for benchrest shooters, who are supremely anal retentive regarding their cases? I don't mean that in a negative way, just super careful...
So you think you're going to be immune to the siren song of the newest tool or gadget that will make your reloading life easier or your handloads better?

Resist you may, my young Jedi, but succumb you will.
Old February 6, 2010, 01:35 AM   #15
bfg9000guy

Mongoose33- ROTFLMAO
Old February 6, 2010, 01:46 AM   #16
Fullthrottle

So it is said " interior does not require cleaning"! Primer pockets.......still undicided! I personally do clean them(primer pockets).....perhaps not required, but not in vain.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:11 AM   #17
Sidewinder72

I do not spend a lot of time with pistol brass in preparation. Rifle rounds are another thing. I load all rounds like they are benchrest ammo. It is just what ever it takes to please yourself.
Old February 12, 2010, 12:14 PM   #18
dbxdm9

I reload 9mm.

I don't clean the inside of the cases, not enough build up in there to make a difference.

I do clean the primer pockets, but it is time consuming, and hard on the fingers to spin the primer pocket cleaner tool several hundred times. After doing it a few hundred times I collect just a small dusting of residue from the pockets.

I think I will either find an easier (i.e. automated) way to do it, else stop. I seat my primers using a hand tool so I will feel if one doesn't seat good due to a dirty primer pocket.
Old February 12, 2010, 01:01 PM   #19
bluetopper

I now reload for 6 different pistol calibers and never clean the insides or primer pockets.

I do however wash my empty cases with Dawn liquid and hot water by pouring the cases and soapy water from one container to the another several times.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:30 PM   #20
craig2724

Cleaning the primer pocket does assure that the primer is seated properly. I found that putting the RCBS primer pocket brush in my drill press (low speed) and placing 50 cases in the plastic tray does a wonderful job in seconds.
Old February 13, 2010, 02:19 AM   #21
Winterhawk56

I always clean the primer pocket. It allows the new primer to seat properly and places the anvil firmly against the pocket base thus less chance of mis-fire.

The pocket does not have to be shiny and you do not have to remove the discolor but any residue should be removed (spent powder residue) or anything that would prevent the primer from seating properly.

I use a standard pocket cleaner brush.