The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 7, 2013, 02:13 PM   #26
lcpiper

Quote:
People say they would risk their lives to protect the second amendment, but keep quite over fear of their car getting keyed.
This would seen backwards except that you need a longer and more realistic view of things.

We do need to protect the 2A, now and probably forever, but the situation has not arisen where physically protecting your rights requires actual armed intervention.

Unless we get to that point, it's only reasonable prudence to protect our rights through the political process and through organizations and your dealings with the average Joe.

"Average Joe" is actually printed on the back of my shirt

The best way to protect our freedoms is to use your freedoms to help the other guy, to be a better person, a better husband, father, friend.

If you look down from heaven on your own funeral and other men say, "He was the kind of guy I wish I could be", you'll know you got it right
Old February 7, 2013, 02:18 PM   #27
Dr Big Bird PhD

To the OP:

I would not ever be afraid to be honest in my freedom of expression. When we Censor ourselves, we are admitting guilt of a moral crime we haven't committed.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 7, 2013, 02:29 PM   #28
lcpiper

No way. Just because you feel or believe something doesn't mean you need to run around broadcasting it all the time. And just because you hold back from voicing an opinion doesn't mean you feel guilty about expressing it. Sometimes it's just not the right place, time, or audience.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:47 PM   #29
southjk

I think the more we speak up the better. Obviously at the right time and place but the people that don't own guns (and the anti's) need to see that there are perfectly normal people that own guns and that they are all around them. They need to see that not all gun owners are redneck anti-gubment hicks intent on shooting up a crowd whenever we feel like it.

That is why I'll occasionally post on facebook that "boy it's crowded at the range today" or "good day to take my daughter to the range" or similar benign comments. I think the more people know we are out there and are not a threat to them, the better.
Old February 7, 2013, 04:18 PM   #30
mrbatchelor

I voice opinions all the time.

That's why so many people think I'm so controversial.

Just look at my signature, creative maladjustment.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

NRA Endowment Member
Old February 7, 2013, 05:50 PM   #31
zincwarrior

Other than an American flag I had on a bumper two cars back, I don't put anything on my car. I get enough scratches, dings, (and recently collisions with animals and the uninsured) and other wear without some wierdo getting uppity. Now the wife has various soccer mom stuff, but thats harmless.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:20 PM   #32
Maligant

I think this is why the so called silent majority is being shipped down the politically correctness railroad by the radical leftist minority. There is a time to be silent and a time to stand up and be counted. I believe we need to be much more outspoken and open instead of laying low. I refuse to feel guilty for enjoying my God given and constitutionally recognized rights. I for one, will not go quietly into the night. If this means I have to put up with some crap from officials and policeman who think the constitution is just an old piece of paper, then so be it. I guess I'm more like JOHN HANCOCK! I think it is time to make some noise. If they rattle the cages the lions should roar, not slink into the shadows. On the other hand, my mother said life would be much easier if I didn't always do things the hard way.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:58 PM   #33
KO3422

I'm in the camp of "no advertising" on my car. I don't want to make myself more of a target than needed. I'm more worried about the antigun nutjob that decides to key or break a window or something. It's the same mentality that I never leave anything of value in plain sight. No packages, backpacks, parking passes, etc.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:15 PM   #34
RonR6

I also do not keep any firearm or hunting stickers on my car or truck, don't need any problems. I also have a holster attached to my front seat but I keep
it covered with a shirt or jacket, even when empty. I also keep a FOP card blocking the VIN#'s on my vehicles.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:28 AM   #35
Skans

I'm an NRA member, but do not display the NRA (or any other gun related) sticker on my car. My reason has more to do with advertising that I may have a gun locked up in my car. I might as well put a sticker on there that says: "I have lots of silver bars locked up inside".

When appropriate, I let people know that I am a member of the NRA and that I like to collect and shoot guns. But, this really isn't a big deal in the South.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:43 AM   #36
ScottRiqui

I don't have gun-related stickers on my car, because to an anti who doesn't know me, it just serves to reinforce their stereotype of "all the gun nuts out there".

Likewise, I wouldn't wear an NRA lapel pin to a job interview, because I don't see the point of making my shooting/carrying practices the very first thing someone knows about me. I'm also a photographer, motorcycle rider and naval officer, but I don't wear a helmet, carry an SLR and have my ID card on a lanyard around my neck 24/7 either.

Plus, as mentioned before, there's the whole theft aspect. I had a very expensive stereo setup stolen out of my car once, and I'm pretty sure the big "Precision Power" and "Linear Power" amp manufacturer decals had something to do with it. While I don't leave guns unattended in my car, I'd have to have a thief break in "just to check".
Old February 8, 2013, 09:04 AM   #37
Woody55

I don't discuss sex, politics or religion with strangers. Since the world is mostly strangers, I don't advertise my views on my car, clothing or otherwise.

Among the people I know, I gently teach and work to encourage them to come around to my points of view on political issues (I consider sex and religion to be essentially private). I've taken all my siblings and their spouses and kids shooting. As far as I know, they are still for gun control, but at least they don't hate guns or gun owners.
Old February 8, 2013, 05:24 PM   #38
Corrections Cop

I have my NRA sticker and my Thin Blue Line sticker on my vehicle I drive to work. Since I work in a prison the majority of us are pro gun. Thier are no stickers on our family car, because of my wife. I am proud of my beliefs and am not afrade to let people know when asked. If I had a NRA hat I would wear it. I wear my DOC Academy Sweatshirt all over the place, even before I got my ccw. I say be proud of what you beleive, those are our rights be proud of them.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:11 PM   #39
Nick S.

Stickers Galor.

NRA stickers on my truck and my house. I used to wear my NRA hat at the range. Now I wear it every where. I've had only positive reactions. I also have stickers from my other hobbies on my truck too; SCUBA diving, and treasure hunting (Metal detecting). If it offends their eyes, let them pluck them out.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:18 PM   #40
montanaoffroader

I don't put any stickers on my vehicles, in fact I even remove the dealer name off the back if it has one.

I do however occasionally wear items of clothing that are firearms related, and I don't feel the need to downplay the fact that I am something of a gun nut.

Where I live now (Montana) the majority of the people have no problem with firearms and their owners. When I lived in California, I would occasionally run across someone who tried to give me grief about owning guns. I generally just smiled and tried to stay civil while not backing down one iota.

I simply don't feel the need to hide my beliefs from the anti's and the uninformed.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:45 AM   #41
dajowi

As a member of the NRA I've never put an NRA bumper sticker on my truck, nor worn my NRA logo hat, (I hate baseball caps), nor have signs such as: "HOME PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON" posted on my house. No need to give anyone the idea that I have guns in the house, or in the truck.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:54 PM   #42
oldgunsmith

I've heard of street gangs focusing on vehicles they think might have a gun in them.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:48 AM   #43
steve666

While I don't believe in NRA or other gun related bumper stickers, my reasons are slightly different, I don't want to invite thieves by letting them know that there may be valuable guns in my vehicle. I also don't wear or carry items showing gun ownership for the same reason that I don't open carry, I feel that it is the same as telling the bad guys "shoot me first"!
Old February 12, 2013, 08:57 PM   #44
lockedcj7

I don't wear hats or logos of any kind normally and I don't have any bumper stickers. I understand the point about not wanting to invite vandalism or theft but that's not really my motivation. I just don't like wearing or displaying a logo when I'm not getting paid to.

I don't make any secret about my hobbies and coworkers often seek my advice. In addition, I live in the country where my neighbors can't see me loading or unloading my car. They can hear me shooting though and I can hear them. The hills around me can sound like a reenactment on any given Sun. afternoon.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:24 AM   #45
Caboclo

As Jimboski said, do what you want. Personally, I lean towards making a polite point. The antis are vocal, we need to be too. On a more pragmatic note, I find carrying cross-draw to be MUCH more comfortable than any other position, but impossible to conceal. Therefore, I OC whenever possible. Of course, I live in Alaska, so the majority of the public is heavily on my side. There is a sign in the front office at work with a pic of a hairy, biker-looking dude with a really big gun, and the caption "Security Program".
Old February 14, 2013, 12:58 PM   #46
Inspector3711

As I implied before, I just can't see putting a "Rob me" sticker on my vehicle.

This is not about being the "silent majority". I'm very vocal about my beliefs and a strong NRA supporter.

Where I live and work, a fella needs to think about what he advertises to the public carefully. There's plenty of gang shootings and thievery in the streets round here. I even have a neighbor that I wonder about so I'm careful at home.

Besides, let the poor fools try to jack me. They won't have a clue what they're getting into.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:11 PM   #47
Ralgha

I don't advertise guns at all, but not because I'm afraid of offending someone.

I think they're "rob me for my guns" signs and I'd rather not have to deal with someone breaking into my home or car.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:30 PM   #48
Inspector3711

Exactly.