The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2011, 08:23 PM   #1
ah141nj

loading for jump

I measured the lands 10 consecutive times, jamming it in everytime.
With a difference of .007 between them,
I averaged out the measurements & came up 1.956 as my "BTO" (base to ogive)

I was planning on loading 5 rounds each at -.010,-.015,-.020,-.025 & -.030. I will be using the same charge of 24.5 of Varget for all.

I am using 69 gr HPBT for a Savage 10 FCP.
On the Hodgon's site, it lists Varget at 24.0 gr min / 26 gr max. I shouldnt be worried about pressure too much...should I?

Is .010 to .030 jumps a waste?

Does this seem like a logical plan? Care to share your input?

What tricks do you guys have for setting the die up so precisely for the OAL wanted?
There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
-- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997
Old July 16, 2011, 10:05 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Hi. .223? 24.5 of Varget the most accurate load in your rifle? If not, work up the load first, then tweak the OAL. Every rifle will prefer a slightly different OAL. Might be 20 thou off the lands. Might be a bit more or a bit less. There's no formula. Strictly a trial and error thing.
"...worried about pressure..." Nope.
"...base to ogive..." OAL is from the base of the case to the end of the bullet. 1.956" isn't the OAL for a 69 grain bullet. 2.235" is.
"...setting the die up so precisely..." This works for me. Use a DP cartridge(no powder or primer) and adjust the seating plug until the OAL is where you want it, then lock the die and load another DP round to make sure.
Old July 16, 2011, 10:24 PM   #3
ah141nj

24.5 of Varget the most accurate load in your rifle? If not, work up the load first, then tweak the OAL.

is 24.5 so odd? the last time I worked up loads, I tried Varget from 24.3 to 24.7. The time before that I tried 23.8 to 25.0. Both times...24.5 was the most accurate

Every rifle will prefer a slightly different OAL. Might be 20 thou off the lands. Might be a bit more or a bit less. There's no formula. Strictly a trial and error thing.

So if need be, 030 off is a common practice?

"...worried about pressure..." Nope.
"...base to ogive..." OAL is from the base of the case to the end of the bullet. 1.956" isn't the OAL for a 69 grain bullet. 2.235" is.

I know that. 1.956 was the measurement I got from the Ogive to the base which equals a 2.33 OAL with this bullet. Once I know the "BTO" I can set an OAL according to what jump I want

"...setting the die up so precisely..." This works for me. Use a DP cartridge(no powder or primer) and adjust the seating plug until the OAL is where you want it, then lock the die and load another DP round to make sure.

Thats what I aready do. Was hoping I could find a better way
There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
-- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997
Old July 16, 2011, 11:15 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...is 24.5 so odd?..." Hi. Nope. 24.5 is only a half grain more than the starting load given by Hodgdon. The load my 1903A4 Springfield sniper rifle shoots 168 grain match bullet$ into one hole at 100, is only a half grain above minimum too. Stopped working up the load. Didn't fiddle with the OAL at all.
If it works don't fix it. That part of the load developement is done. Some guys will go right to fiddling with the OAL without finding the most accurate load first.
Fiddling with the OAL is one of the load tweaking techniques used after you've found the most accurate load. If you get a smaller group with the bullet 30 thou off the lands, it's fine. Every rifle chamber is slightly different. (Has to do with tool wear in the factory.) Your's might be a bit longer or shorter than another FCP.
"...2.33 OAL..." 95 thou longer than the OAL given by Hodgdon. Any problems fitting the loaded cartridge in the mag? If it fits in the mag, don't worry about it.
"...a better way..." Some guys use a factory cartridge to set the OAL. Using a DP cartridge is just the way I've always done it. Hasn't always been a DP cartridge though.
Old July 20, 2011, 06:07 PM   #5
sc928porsche

I seat my bullets .020 off of the lands. The biggest secret of making accurate ammo is to make each one identical to the other.