The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2014, 04:54 PM   #1
barnettamb

1911 recommendations...

I'm starting to save up for a 1911. Right now I'm very interested in Kimber. They are beautiful. They are made in the USA and seem to be of very high quality. It will be my everyday carry gun. It will rarely be left in the truck (my glock stays there). Does anyone have anything to say about Kimber 1911s? good or bad. Also is there another brand I need to look at?

thank you
Old February 19, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2
leadcounsel

Prepare yourself.

In all seriousness, here's MY OPINION. I've owned a handful of 1911s, from entry to high end.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and need a status symbol, spend $1500+ on a top model 1911 with all the whistles and bells.

If you want a functioning 1911 to learn on, and something that simply works, my recommendation is spend around $500 on a Rock Island Tactical or even entry level (but the tactical has great upgrades). Here's a picture of an ATI I picked up for around $600. It's a beautiful pistol. Taurus also has a solid 1911 in that price range. You can also find a nice used Springfield in that price range.

Ignore all the folks who claim that MIM parts are garbage and will break if you touch them. Also understand that even $1500 1911s have MIM parts...

As far as Kimber, I believe Kimber draws the most heated debate and hatred amongst 1911 owners who got burned... perhaps it's due to the high price and bad perceived quality, I don't know. But I just know that I see/hear a lot of complaints over Kimber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2.jpg (151.8 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by leadcounsel; February 19, 2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:03 PM   #3
barnettamb

thank you. i will research kimber to see what kind of problems i can find. what about ruger sr1911s?
Old February 19, 2014, 05:03 PM   #4
WIN1886

1911's

I own Dan Wesson and a Sig Carry....the Dan Wesson's are fit to tighter tolerances and are very well made ! That being said I have been impressed with my Sig 1911 Carry Stainless having fed it factory second dented ammo and two different hollow point defense types it has performed flawlessly from day 1 ! It is accurate and shoots spot on with the the factory sight set with 230 grain hardball and most other loads are close to center ! The Dan Wesson's are my special 1911's and lets just say I'm done looking for anything else except a Dan Wesson RZ-10 ! There are a lot of good choices....pick one ! All my 1911's have excellent triggers and shoot well !

Last edited by WIN1886; February 19, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:05 PM   #5
JWT

There are many, many fine 1911's available..depending largely what you want to spend. The Ruger SR1911 is a very good entry level gun in the $700 range and it's made in America. Kimber has what seems like an endless selection over a wide price range. Colt has a good selection across the price ranges. Springfield offers many to choose from. Then there's the higher end guns like Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Nighthawk, etc.

Best to go the a well stocked gun store and actually hand a number of different 1911's. Then try to rent and actually shoot various ones.

Kimbers are good guns, but don't limit your search to them unless you're really smitten by a particular model.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:06 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

I will make this simple

If you simply wish to shoot your new 1911, accurately and repeatedly, buy a Baer and up.

It is the classic "Buy best buy once" scenario, ay?

I have extensive experience with Kimber choices, and they're fine.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:07 PM   #7
leadcounsel

Quote:
ruger sr1911s
I've heard mixed reviews. I've similarly heard mixed reviews on the Sig 1911s... evidently Sig strayed from the design and somehow screwed it up. I have no experience with Ruger or Sig 1911s.

I can't stress enough to focus your search on a Philippine made 1911 like Rock Island, ATI, etc. If you like it, you can always get another high end. If you don't you're not out much and won't take the $ hit you will by reselling it versus a high-end 1911.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:08 PM   #8
barnettamb

thanks guys…any experiences with the springfield mil spec?
Old February 19, 2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

Bac1023 wrote a 1911 Buyer's Guide that's hosted over at 1911addicts.com. For some reason, I can't access that site right now, but Google it, and read it. It's a very good start for learning about 1911s.

I'm not a huge fan of Kimber, but must also admit that I've never owned one. I don't think I've ever even shot one, but my impression has always been that they're "more sizzle than steak."

If I were in the market for a 1911 right now, at or below that price range, I'd be looking at (in no particular order): Ruger, Springfield Armory, Rock Island, Dan Wesson and Colt. In this area, Colts always command more of a premium than I'm wiling to pay, but YMMV. I'm sure there are others I'd look at, but the names escape me at the moment.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:14 PM   #10
WESHOOT2

Quote:
experiences with the springfield mil spec

IME it is a good buy as a base for a custom 1911. Only.

I still own one Springfield Armory 1911.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:23 PM   #11
BigJimP

Kimbers are mass produced ( no gunsmiths on the line custom fitting their guns)....and they make guns from $ 800 - $ 2,250 .....I don't think they're terrible guns / but as with most guns, you get what you pay for. I have a couple of Kimbers - Tactical Pro II model ( $1,300 or so) / Gold Combat Stainless II ( $2,250 or so ) both decent guns - but not great guns !

Top Tier 1911's ( $ 2,500 - over $5K ) ...Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk ...and maybe Les Baer, in my view....all pretty nice guns ( but I'm not a Baer fan). Wilson Combat gets my vote for some of the best 1911's made.

Among entry level 1911's.....( $ 800 - $ 1,500 ) .....I'd suggest you look seriously at Colt, Springfield and Sig Sauer.

Guns I would definitely pass on ...RIA, Taurus and Ruger ...some guys are reporting good results with them / but there is a lot of negative press out there on them as well.

MIM parts issues -- are over hyped / and I'd rather not have MIM parts in my guns.../ but to get to no MIM parts you're going to have to go with companies like Wilson Combat, etc...
Old February 19, 2014, 05:27 PM   #12
leadcounsel

Quote:
Guns I would definitely pass on ...RIA, Taurus and Ruger ...some guys are reporting good results with them / but there is a lot of negative press out there on them as well
If there's negative press on a RIA, I'd like to see it. It's an anomaly. Every gun forum you visit, I'd say 90% of the opinions are that the RIA surpassed expectations, and was fantastic.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:38 PM   #13
BigJimP

I hear maybe 50 / 50 reactions at my local range on the RIA's...some guys like them, some guys are hating them...

Couple of guys in the booth next to me were shooting a relatively new one on Sunday afternoon.../ they said they only had a few hundred rounds thru it - and the barrel lug broke / putting it out of commission.

I base most of my opinions on what I see at my local ranges...not what I hear on the internet....but what I am saying, is I'd pass on them.

Based on the experience I've had with my own 1911's over the last 10 yrs...( a pair of Wilsons, one Ed Brown, one Les Baer, a pair of Kimbers )....I'd also pass on the Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II model I have...and spend that $2,250 that gun costs today on a Wilson Combat CQB model - a good basic model from Wilson at around $3,000 depending on how you want it setup. I have one Ed Brown - a Kobra Carry .../ good gun / but its not better than my Wilson's. I have one Les Baer...a monolith ...fairly decent gun / not a great gun and fit and finish was never very good even new ...

My primary carry gun - Wilson CQB, 5" in .45 acp about 25,000 rds thru it - its 10 yrs old ....never had an issue with that gun....

My primary practice range gun ..Wilson Protector, 5", in 9mm...about 7 yrs old now ....a little over 70,000 rds thru it / broke an extractor at about 40,000 rds -- no other issues with that gun.

If I buy another 1911...it'll be a Wilson...

We all have our opinions - based on what we experience with our own guns and based on what we see at our local ranges...
Old February 19, 2014, 05:41 PM   #14
JWT

My Ruger SR1911s have been flawless.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:51 PM   #15
jmr40

I've owned Kimber, Colt and several Springfields from the base models up to the Loaded. My Kimber is better than all of the Colts and SA's I've owned in the past. No complaints, but in the moderate price range I think the S&W 1911 beats them all. And it is the most often overlooked.

I have heard nothing bad about the Rugers, but no personal experience.

I've been down the budget path a couple of times. I don't recommend the Rock Island for long term value. It is an inexpensive gun and most shoot well enough when new. Long term durability and value are my concerns. I had one for a while with no issues, my brothers was a nightmare. Found someone who wanted it more than I did.

I owned a Taurus for a couple of hours. Bought one lightly used, took it to the range, brought it back before I ever got home and traded it for my first S&W 1911. They were both used, side by side in the display with about $250 price difference. Best $250 I ever spent. A few months later I ran across a guy needing money in a bad way and bought another S&W 1911 cheap. Those 2 are now by far my favorites.

The Taurus ran 100% and was reasonably accurate, but just didn't leave me with a confident feeling. The fit between parts, safety, grip safety, trigger etc., were lacking.
Old February 19, 2014, 06:09 PM   #16
RockDTMC

If I were going to spend that kind of money on another 1911, I would buy a Dan Wesson over Kimber every time.
Old February 19, 2014, 06:52 PM   #17
filthy phil

Sig tacpac.
$800 with 3 mags
Around 400rds downrange without a detail strip clean.
2 mag related failures

Last edited by filthy phil; February 19, 2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old February 19, 2014, 07:05 PM   #18
ttarp

Whoa, I guess I can say I've seen the big picture on 1911's now.
Old February 19, 2014, 07:14 PM   #19
Garycw

1911 recommendations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettamb View Post
I'm starting to save up for a 1911. Also is there another brand I need to look at?

thank you
In a word or two. YES & SIG
You get more for your $
Old February 19, 2014, 07:26 PM   #20
TacticalDefense1911

I'd pass on the Kimber. Lots of QC issues and subpar parts for the price. Beautiful guns but there are better guns at the same price point. In that same price range are quite a few good guns like Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson and STI. These guns would be a no brainer over a Kimber IMO. The S&W E-series would be another good one, but just not quite up to the quality of the other guns mentioned. If its going to be an EDC gun I wouldn't look outside of the names I listed unless it is because you are looking at a gun above this price point.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:18 PM   #21
gyvel

Quote:
Also is there another brand I need to look at?
Yes: Colt.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:27 PM   #22
DaleA

The 1911 Buyers Guide compiled by Bac1023 mentioned by Spats McGee can be found here:

http://1911addicts.com/threads/buyer...1-addicts.511/

It's a remarkable reference.

My personal favorite is the Springfield Armory Range Officer.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/19...ngeOfficer.htm
Old February 19, 2014, 10:28 PM   #23
Martowski

If you're not wanting to spend over $1,000, my recommendation is to look at the Springfield Range Officer or the Kimber Target II (or custom II if you want fixed sights). The Springfield can be found for around $700 - $800, and the Kimber around $800. Both are great quality and have a track record of great performance.

Don't listen to all the "Kimber sucks" stuff; it's mostly internet hype. And yes, I own a Kimber (along with a Springfield, S&W Performance Center, Sig 1911, and have owned an STI Spartan).

While there's nothing "wrong" with them, I'd look at the Springfield or Kimber before I'd look at the RIA. I have no experience with the Ruger so I can't talk to the 1911 model they have, but as a company they are great to deal with.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:33 PM   #24
jfrey

Check out the Springfield and Colt lines. My suggestion, from my personal experience is to skip the Kimber at any price. If your budget allows it, get a Les Baer. You won't be sorry.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:44 PM   #25
RickB

Saving up to buy a "1911" is like saving up to buy a car; you can get great values at every price point, and you can show off to your neighbors, because you can.
I'd avoid the $500 guns and I'd avoid the $5000 guns!
I think the guns in the $800-$1200 range are the best overall value, with a good combination of materials, fit, finish, and features.
I'm not a Kimber fan. Say what you want about MIM, but you can buy the hammer that Kimber puts in their $1700 "custom shop" guns for $25, and that's not appropriate in a gun at that price point.
I like the Springfield Range Officer, for a gun with excellent "bones" - forged slide, frame, and barrel - with extra care put into the mechanical fit, rather than gingerbread.