The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 27, 2005, 03:07 PM   #1
twistedneck

Benelli M1 barrel wear?

Hello, I'm new to this board.

I was wondering about scuff marks towards the bolt end of my new used 1994 Benelli M1 super 90.

The gun and mechanism is in great shape. I disassembled the entire thing and everyhting looked good.

The barrel has some scuffing i thought was dirt build up just past where the flat paint spot is near the bolt end. I tried to clean it off with my brush but its not dirt. Are these marks from excessive buck shot or slug use?

Shoud the entire barrel have a mirror finish for its lifespan? New bbl is $200+ so i'm not looking forward to buying a new one. Thanks. Jeff
Old April 27, 2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Death from Afar

Scuffing should make no difference at all to the life of the barrel. Benelli's are used by rabbit shooters in central otago here in new zealand, and most fire at least 100,000 rounds before needing any new bits on them- and that is mainly related to the gas system.

The scuffing could be caused by normal wear, or maybe poor cleaning. Ask if you can test fire the weapon. It should cycle happilly trap loads. That is your best sign of wear in the weapon.
Old April 27, 2005, 03:46 PM   #3
twistedneck

Thanks Death, I am shooting it this week and I will let you know. I have a few boxes of winchester 7.5 super-X to try out!

Man, I love this board. I received an answer in five minutes!
Old April 28, 2005, 12:10 AM   #4
mathman

Quote:
and most fire at least 100,000 rounds before needing any new bits on them- and that is mainly related to the gas system.
Benelli Super 90's don't have a gas system...they are recoil operated. I'm not sure what you meant here.
Old April 28, 2005, 05:56 AM   #5
mete

Barrel wear ? the Benellis have chrome plated bores. It takes a lot of shooting to wear them out .If the 'scuffing ' is just ahead of the chamber , it's probably plastic from the wad. this is removed best using one of those 'tornado' brushes.I'm not quite sure exactly where you mean by 'flat paint spot'.If you can get at it try some fine steel wool and oil.You have a great gun, mine is about that old too...Welcome to the forum !!
Old April 28, 2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Death from Afar

Oops. I was thinking about the gas sytem on a mini 30 (random i know) when I typed that. Of course Super 90's are not gas operated, they dont have a gas system. I was referring to the inertia system.
Old May 9, 2005, 07:25 PM   #7
Paochow

I second the plastic build-up theory. Mine has the same issue. With a ton of cleaning it will disappear, but after a half dozen boxes of slugs or buckshot, its right back, along with a tender shoulder
Old May 9, 2005, 08:51 PM   #8
Skeetin'870

Quote:
I second the plastic build-up theory. Mine has the same issue. With a ton of cleaning it will disappear, but after a half dozen boxes of slugs or buckshot, its right back, along with a tender shoulder
I also agree a person on my shooting squad has an M1 and the reciever has become black from plastic build-up by Remington Gameloads 7 1/2 and 8's.
His bolt wasn't cycling the rounds but that was due to 7/8's oz loads instead of 1 oz the minimum needed by a benelli to cycle the bolt
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through