The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 3, 1999, 10:07 AM   #1
Silicon

I've got 15 men equipped with G36's to take care of, and they've started asking if there's any extended magazines availible. Does anyone here if there are any availible? Preferrably in South america.
Old December 3, 1999, 11:27 AM   #2
Daniel Watters

Other than the standard factory 30 round magazine, there is the Beta C-Mag for the MG36 variant. The C-Mag is a saddle drum magazine which holds 100 rounds.

Contact your regional HK representative. Be aware that they are expensive, even for law enforcement/military sales.
Old December 5, 1999, 01:55 PM   #3
cdf

Silicon, you have to get the extra mags from the company. And I wouldn't use the C-mags. They're to unwieldly.
Old December 5, 1999, 10:59 PM   #4
Silicon

Yeah, i know.. The desicion is not up to me, but it's my job to try to aquire the equiment, i'm afraid... I prefer my G3A3, so i wont have the problem.
Old December 6, 1999, 02:32 PM   #5
cdf

Recomend your guys aquire more standard 30 rounders. As the mags lock together, thats plenty of amuntion at the ready. Tell them it's much easier to switch over to the fresh mag than thumb-bust with the C-mags. Your compadres are utilizing the K, and not the regular length 36, right?
Old December 6, 1999, 10:04 PM   #6
Silicon

Yup, all of 'em agree on the fact that it's a lot easier to carry than the full length 36. Especially when we're in thick forest.
Old December 16, 1999, 02:44 AM   #7
Covert Mission

It's just not fair. You guys have G36's and I don't I asked Santa, but he said even with a Class III, he won't promise it.

Seriously, I'm into pistol shooting and an admitted combat rifle novice, but I covet that 36. Am i all wrong? Is there something better?
Old December 17, 1999, 12:35 PM   #8
cdf

Something better than the G36? Well, I'm not altogether sure. The 36 has a unique gas system wich doesn't foul itself with it's oun propellant residue, alowing for longer periods of intence fire. This is a titanic advantage for an operator who uses an assault rifle as an assault rifle. Now, the position of the optics I'm not that pleased with, but they work.
The charging handle is slick, the folding stock locks up firm and secure.
It is 100% beter than any AR mutation, that's a fact.
Old December 17, 1999, 05:39 PM   #9
Silicon

I dunno.. i'm kinda old fasioned myself, so i still use a G3, until i've _seen_ that the G36k is a good weapon... it seems to be good enough though... but it's still not a tool i'd risk my life on, if you know what i mean..
Old December 18, 1999, 01:35 AM   #10
Covert Mission

Silicon and cdf: sounds like you two should have MY handle.

Don't tell me...don't want you to have to kill me. Be safe out there.
Old December 21, 1999, 01:01 AM   #11
Silicon

That does it ppl.. never use a G36K where you know you'll encounter lots of mud. We must have had 8 or 9 cases of the bloody weapon jamming in critical situations despite our efforts to keep it clean. Good thing we had a good opportunity to salvage a few ak-47's... my G3 survived the dirt perfectly though. Does anyone else have any experience with it, and what do you think of it? I'm thinking of trying to acquire 10 of them or so.
Old December 21, 1999, 02:16 PM   #12
cdf

Well that's a little dissapointing. Time to pick up some Galils or valmets. Or, if you aint to attatched to 5.56mm, stick with original Kalashnikovs.
Were they toting Cmags? If so, could the failers be traced to the mags?
Old December 22, 1999, 12:08 PM   #13
Silicon

They're not so easy to find down here, but as we're shipping off to Europe for x-mas tomorrow, I'll see what i can get my hands on. The problem is always shipping the stuff. Valmet you say, that's the finnish AK, right?

None were using c-mags, as we've had distribution problems. It's a bit hard to get hk equipment here. We might be sticking to the Kalashnikovs. If so, i'll head to the supermarket (Poland) and pick up stuff before we head down again.
Merry X-mas ppl, cya after the holidays.
Old December 26, 1999, 05:18 PM   #14
Harlequin

in reply to silicon's question; I've used the g3 for allmost 3 years now, and i have to say even though the weight if the ammo and the weapon itself is not favourable compared to an m4 with a 203 or it's like, i have to say i'd personally choose the g3 for work that involves extended time unsupported or in situatons your weapon might freeze,get packed in with mud or other similar situations.. I've had next to no malfunctions with my g3/40mm in most climatic conditions (this applies for the mp5 as well) wich is more than i can say for the m4 (wich has a slight tendency to jam after a couple of hundred rounds in more extreme conditions)... the weapon is very reliable, it's easy to clean fast in the field too, and as far as i can see the only drawback is the forementioned weight (4.5k with plastic stock and 4.7k with the telescopic stock if i remember correctly) and the extra weight of the ammo.. but then again, the extra punch and noise of the .308 has it's advantages at times too..