The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 4, 2010, 10:40 AM   #51
MJN77

Retired15T,
I am not trying to be an a$$, but I do like the debate. I have said in my previous posts, Billy was no saint and he should not be pardoned, but you can't fairly judge someone until you know what really happened in their lifetime and what their day and age were like. In NM in the 1870's, cattle rustling was looked at as "sport" and "no big deal" unless you were caught or you were the one that had your stock stolen. Jimmy Dolan, the leader of the "opposing side" operated in stolen cattle and sold them to the army. The army didn't even care where they came from. The point is, Billy was the ONLY one that fought in the Lincoln War, on either side that was tried for anything, and believe me out of dozens of killers on both sides the Kid doesn't even come close to the worst. The lawmen that hunted him, the prosecutor that tried him, the judge that sentenced him, the jailer that guarded him were all connected with the Dolan side, and Dolan was friends with a lot of powerful politicians in Santa Fe. That kinda sounds like a biased crowd to me. The 2 killings that Billy commited on his own before his jail break were self defence. The killings that he helped with during the "war" were just that, acts of war. Both sides were killing each other. Neither side was more "right" than the other, but when a group of people are trying to kill your group, you would tend to shoot back. Again, Billy was no saint, but he wasn't the "demon" that people paint him as. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, that was not my intention. But you can't believe everything you read on the internet, and a few paragraphs on Wikipedia isn't exactly the best place to get your facts from.

Last edited by MJN77; August 4, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old August 5, 2010, 05:10 PM   #52
crghss

Quote:
Second, believing ANYTHING on wikipedia is like believing what you read in the enquierer
Actually not true. In this instance there are numerous references of sources, reputable sources. So while somethings are posted to Wikipedia without references, it's noted when there aren't enough references, it can be a good source of information.

So while I wouldn't and don't rely solely on wikipedia for information if the postings are referenced properly it is a good source.
Old August 5, 2010, 05:27 PM   #53
MJN77

Depends on the source referenced. The article relies heavily on the legend of Billy and not really on known facts. Although, I will say it's not as bad as it could be. But it still has problems.

Last edited by MJN77; August 5, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old August 8, 2010, 04:41 PM   #54
andrewstorm

kid pardon

Legendary William Bonny,was already pardoned by one lying politician,hed probably roll over in his grave at the thought of another one doing it officially now
Old August 9, 2010, 01:29 PM   #55
bedbugbilly

pohill - love your thoughts on the Souix and the Black Hills . . . while all the politicians are doing these good deeds of pardoning, etc. . . . . let's have 'em do away with "Columbus Day" as well . . . . . for some reason, I never did buy the story that he discovered America . . . . or would these thoughts make me "politically incorrect"? I sure as hell wouldn't want that . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 9, 2010, 02:02 PM   #56
Rampant_Colt

Just another criminal glamorized by dime store novels and cheesy movies.. Hell, he was the "Left-Handed Gun" for many years before anyone figured out that the famous photo image of him was reversed.

Pardon him now? Sarcastic slow clap for a brilliant media stunt
Old August 9, 2010, 07:53 PM   #57
HisSoldier

Quote:
As someone who owns a house south of Tucson, AZ and who lives there six months during the winter, I am fully away of the "Illegal" problem,
Your comments are interesting. I live on the Oregon coast, we are surrounded with Illegals. My friend lives near Somerton, west of Yuma, he's told me many stories.
I say let's vacation Mr. Obama to the area without body guards, maybe he would change his mind if he survived. There are truly two types of people in America today, those of us who get it, and a majority who don't, but hold the reigns of power.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.