The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 16, 1999, 04:24 AM   #1
Keeper

I have a used leather holster that is a little rough on the outside. I was going to use some mink oil on it but I was wondering if anyone had any bad experiences using mink oil on their holsters? Also what should I use on the inside of the holster? I am only experienced with kydex.

Thank you.
Old September 16, 1999, 08:18 AM   #2
shamster

Don't use any oil or grease on the outside of your holster! Use only good quality shoe cream/paste. KIWI brand is supposed to be pretty good. Use the neutral wax paste. If you have a black holster, you can just use black. Brown may be a little harder to match, since there are different shades of that.
Basically, take care of it the same way you would do with a really nice pair of shoes.
Old September 16, 1999, 08:57 AM   #3
JoeHatley

Keeper,

I worked on a mink range for 3 years in high school. Don't use the mink oil. It will help waterproof the holster, but it will also
soften the leather to the point it won't hold it's shape. It will also darken the leather if it not dyed, and can change the color if it is.

shamster is right. Use polish on the outside, and the inside IF it is smooth. Otherwise just leave the inside alone.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old September 16, 1999, 05:03 PM   #4
Jim V

The ONLY thing that I would put on the inside of a holster would be Mich Rosen's Leather Lightning. The stuff really slicks up one's draw and does not soften the leather. No oils of any kind, clean with mild saddle soap and use a good grade of paste polish (not liquid) on the outside.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old September 21, 1999, 07:36 AM   #5
Nakano

10- 4 Jim V. Leather Lightning, a product of Phoenix Armory, is a surface coating only and will not penetrate into the leather. Highly recommended (and sold ) by Mitch Rosen. However, I' m not so sure if it works well on holsters that are rough finish on the inside. Hmmm...

L8r,
Nakano
Old September 21, 1999, 08:39 AM   #6
Jim V

As to LEATHER LIGHTNING, I have used it on the insides of several "smooth out" holsters and I have noticed a vast improvement on the draw from them. These holsters had been well boned to the pistols carried so the insides were smoother than that of holsters not so well fitted.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"