The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 19, 2012, 07:18 PM   #76
Warrior1256

I highly reccomend a S & W Airweight .38. It is small, light and has no external hammer and will fire +P ammo.
Old November 20, 2012, 03:59 PM   #77
barstoolguru

check this out

this came across the screen and this co will ship free to an FFL
9mm +2 ten round mags 249.00

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...m=F1SCCGCPX2CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1SCCGCPX2CB.jpg (55.5 KB, 20 views)
Old November 20, 2012, 04:14 PM   #78
mumbo719

I wear cargo pants and shorts. My Kel-Tec PF-9 goes with me daily in one pocket and a spare mag in the other.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:03 PM   #79
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I am also considering the Keltec PF9, the keltec .380, and others. But that gives you an idea of my price range and what I've got in mind.
Quote:
Take a look at the SIG P938, Kimber Solo, and Rohrbaugh.
LOL, "Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are!"

Rohrbaugh, Kimber, and Sig. Same price point as Kel-Tec, Taurus, and Ruger!
Just shows the more elite your preference of firearms is, the less you read entire posts.

In the same light, while the KAHR PM9 has been mentioned, the CM9 for a hundred or more less is just as reliable, the same size, and makes as good of a carry piece. While I personally feel it's a bit large, and harder to draw than my Elsie Pea for pocket carry it does a good job of IWB carry that replaces my XD40 Subcompact most of the time. As well as being an often used alternative to my LCP.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 20, 2012, 09:55 PM   #80
shep854

In close to ten years of pocket carry (with a good holster, natch! ), I've carried--in order--S&W 442, K-T P11, PF9 and currently an S&W 49.

As pointed out, a good holster is essential, as are trousers loose enough to allow access to the gun, yet not so loose it falls out. Besides year-round consistency of carry (so you're not groping around trying to find the blasted gun! ), pocket carry allows you to grip the gun without brandishing, appearing threatening or giving away your element of surprise.
Old November 21, 2012, 10:54 PM   #81
bruno diaz

I've never shot and LCR, but I've held one and it felt great. But, the proof is in the shooting. When I bought my LCP, I regretted it when I first shot it. But, after about 200 rounds, I love it. I also read that the only good grip extensions were the Pearce extensions. I had a friend give me a spare Garrison Grip 1.5" extension, and I like it even better than my Pearce. The LCP is accurate (despite the nearly non-existent sights) and reliable as Hell. I've put almost a thousand rounds through mine with various ammo and never had a problem. And it's so light, you don't even notice you're carrying it. I've come home and walked around my house for a few hours before saying, "What's this in my pocket?"
I've also practiced the Tueller Drill with it, and can draw it very quickly from my pocket and put a round right on target. Again, I can't speak for the LCR, though I've been tempted to get one, but I have to recommend the LCP. I've also shot the LC9, and didn't like the way it shot, nor did I feel it was close to as concealable as the LCP. As far as the penetration power of the .380, I have a friend at work who used to have his FFL and he used to tell me the .380 bounces off of windshields. I managed to take a fridge door and prop it up in front of a deep freezer. I fired an FMJ round and it went through the door, through the first layer of metal on the freezer, the insulation, and broke through but didn't fully penetrate the inside lining of the freezer. Good enough for me.
Old December 1, 2012, 05:30 PM   #82
deputy tom

OP the Kahr CM9 is a viable pocket carry pistol. $385.00 plus tax,etc. = $420.00 out the door locally. Cheap pocket holster (uncle mikes) works well in cargo pants. Belt slide for jeans. Good luck in your search. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old December 1, 2012, 07:42 PM   #83
PT-92

There's literally a seemingly endless amount of choices nowadays for pocket-carry CCW. I like a 9mm for my primary and just something I know is reliable as my bug (for me I really don't care about the BUG caliber as much as the reliability). I have been known to frequently carry both my primary P11 and BUG Bobcat 21A in my pockets (even normal jeans) with a corresponding pocket holster. I think sometimes we tend to underestimate the pocket carry "potential or capability" if you will mistakenly thinking it has to be a mouse-gun of some sort. Honestly I would probably opt for a .380 but never have simply due to the fact that I have lots of 9mm, 45acp, 25acp, 22lr on hand and don't want to start allocating funds towards another caliber.

These two pictured below are easily concealable but, more importantly, easily accessible as well. However, I personally never pocket-carry my primary while driving my truck.

-Happy Holidays

Old December 2, 2012, 09:29 AM   #84
Yung.gunr

Well... Sorry your thread turned into a huge ******* match about pocket carrying.

I for one do it all the time because my work doesn't let me carry so I need something that I can take off & put on very easily and inconspicuously. Pocket carry is the way for me.

Anyway, my two favorites are the Taurus TCP and the Sig P238. Sounds like based on your budget the TCP would be better for you. I do have a LC9, but I would definitely not call it a pocket gun. I may be the only one who thinks this, but I don't see how a 9mm in a pocket carry package would be controllable or that I would be accurate with it. I only feel under gunned with it if I am going downtown PHX at night. But I never do that so not to worry.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:45 PM   #85
Kevin Rohrer

Quote:
pocket carry is an accident waiting to happen
Only for the poorly trained, with a weapon not capable of being safely carried.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 2, 2012, 09:55 PM   #86
larryh1108

....or by the guy who wrote that....
Old December 4, 2012, 12:28 PM   #87
coldbeer

I happen to agree with Barstoolguru. There are much better places to carry a gun than in your pocket pointing at a main artery or the family jewels. There's no tactical advantage to carrying in a front pants pocket either.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:07 AM   #88
lapetrarca53

My $.02.......

....for what it's worth.

When I was looking at .380acp pocket pistols, it was considering the LCP or the Taurus TCP PT738.

Went with the Taurus because of the (in relative terms) better sights. Add the fact that it was on sale for $100 less than the LCP and it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

I couldn't be more pleased or happier with it. It fits my hands perfectly, the recoil is snappy but easily manageable with a firm grip and the sucker is pretty damned accurate too. 150 rounds down the pipe so far without a single hiccup.

I'm fairly small at 5'5" and 145 lbs. but this gun conceals EASILY whether it's a suit and tie or shorts and a T-shirt.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:54 PM   #89
dgludwig

Quote:
Just for the record I am not against pocket carry
Quote:
So, which is it?
Old December 7, 2012, 03:11 PM   #90
dgludwig

Quote:
Of the guns you'd mentioned, only the LCP and P3AT are true pocket pistols.
I pretty much agree with this opinion. Pistols much bigger/heavier than these two options are too big and or heavy for comfortable, long-term pocket carry in my view.

Quote:
pocket carry allows you to grip the gun without brandishing, appearing threatening or giving away your element of surprise.
This insight has great merit. Pocket carry is about the only mode of carry that permits the tactic of having your hand holding the pistol in a quasi-state of readiness (still located in a proper pocket holster) without betraying its presence nor causing undue alarm to others.
Old December 7, 2012, 03:45 PM   #91
PH/CIB

When I pocket carry,,,I carry either a Smith and Wesson J frame 638 Bodyguard five shot revolver,,,or a Glock 26...I have tried Kahr, Seecamp, and Kel Tec and unfortunately for me anyway they were not reliable.

I carry in my right front pocket with a holster that covers the trigger guard and with absolutely nothing else in the pocket,,,I think it is a mistake to carry a handgun in any method without a holster that covers the trigger guard and in pocket carry nothing else should be in the pocket with the gun.

I do dress around the gun and not try to adapt the gun to my clothes, therefore I wear cargo pocket pants or shorts with large pockets and I tuck a large handkerchief under the holster under the triggerguard, this goes on the outside of the holster under the triggerguard portion of the holster, so when it prints it does not look like a gun but a small paperback novel or something else rectangular in my pocket. I have tried many different ways of concealed carry and although someone along the way might have noticed the printing of my gun and holster,,,no one has ever said anything to me about it in fourty years of carrying concealed.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old December 7, 2012, 05:33 PM   #92
PT-92

Taurus TCP

lapetrarca53,

I prefer the 9mm for pocket-carry but I did shoot the new TCP .380 (my Aunt & Uncle bought a pair) and they are sweet indeed. I have to agree with your description and rec..

ETA: BTW, many of the aforementioned posts keep citing the "potential" of 'loosing one's family jewels' by pocket-carrying. I respect their opinion and support their decision to refrain--yet I have never worried about either my Kel-Tec P11 or Beretta Bobcat 21A as both are secured in pocket-holsters and free of any potential obstruction (going on eight years now). Can anyone find a link where someone's "pocket-carry" gun inadvertently discharged...?

Lastly, I always use the example of the guy in front of you in line at the Supermarket that has a 1911 pointed squarley at your 'melon' via a horizontal shoulder-rig (does that also worry people)...?

Last edited by PT-92; December 7, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:49 PM   #93
Koda94

Quote:
Lastly, I always use the example of the guy in front of you in line at the Supermarket that has a 1911 pointed squarley at your 'melon' via a horizontal shoulder-rig (does that also worry people)...?
actually this kinda does. Not so much that a good 1911 will AD, but that it violates the whole pointing a loaded gun at anything you don't want to destroy rule.... which covers all the failures causing AD's.

For pocket carry I like the Colt Mustang pocketlite 380 and the Sig P238. the P938 is on my wish list.

Last edited by Koda94; December 7, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:18 PM   #94
PT-92

Quote:
Koda94

...actually this kinda does. Not so much that a good 1911 will AD, but that it violates the whole pointing a loaded gun at anything you don't want to destroy rule.... which covers all the failures causing AD's.
I believe they are referring to a gun in one's hand with finger near trigger...?
I see no way (realistically speaking) that a gun in a shoulder holster could AD anymore so than say a belt or pocket holster. I am still looking for "documented" AD's in any holster (absent human interaction to be clear).

Shoulder rigs are legal IMO for a reason (one being they are, in fact, safe).

But I totally get it that it doesn't suit everyone.

-Happy Holidays
Old December 7, 2012, 10:03 PM   #95
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-92
I believe they are referring to a gun in one's hand with finger near trigger...?
you are correct, and the same rule also says a gun holstered properly is no danger to anyone (paraphrased). The key word here is 'properly'... I'm just wondering if there is any possibility human error could contribute to an AD in this context? But I do agree, realistically this is not likely and probably has never happened...

So I should clarify when I say "kinda".... I don't really worry about this, just making an observation. I don't really like the idea of them myself for other reasons, but I agree they are safe when used properly like any holster. But if I could know the guy in line in front of me had one, I might be inclined to step to the side...
Old December 7, 2012, 11:04 PM   #96
PT-92

Koda94,

Interesting commentary (didn't notice you were relatively new to the forum at least post-wise).

Welcome aboard (I've learned a ton here)!

Happy Holidays,
Old December 7, 2012, 11:49 PM   #97
lefteye

Quote:
Quote:
Just for the record I am not against pocket carry

Quote:

So, which is it?

Literally, he is "not against pocket carry, an accident waiting to happen."

But, in fact, I have no idea what he means.
Old December 8, 2012, 02:44 AM   #98
Biner

I picked up a Taurus TCP .380 to replace a similarly-sized S&W Bodyguard 380 that was stolen. It's only had 200 to 300 rounds through it at this point, but so far no issues whatsoever. As a bonus, I shoot it much more accurately than I did the Bodyguard. Much smoother trigger, and I prefer the sights. I'm not generally a Taurus fan, but I've got no complaints about this one.
Old December 15, 2012, 03:36 PM   #99
godawgs82

I find nothing wrong with pocket carry. I use this method more than any other for concealed carry.

I first bought a Ruger LCP....it was very small and a nice pistol but I did not like the amount of recoil. I decided to move up to 9mm so I sold it.

Guns just a little bigger and still easily carried in front pocket include the Kel Tec PF9, Kahr PM9 (CM9), and Kimber Solo. I borrowed a friend's Kahr PM9 but I did not care for its looks. I own a PF9 and a Solo and I have had zero malfuntions with either of them. The PF9 is a good deal for the money and the Solo has a sweet trigger. Any of these three are NOT to big for pocket carry.