The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 15, 2012, 08:33 AM   #1
kcub

handguns legal to own in Canada

I have 2 grown kids that live in Canada (one in Vancouver, one in Montreal). Someday I might need to move there. What little googling and reading I have done turned up something about the barrel needing to be 4.1" or longer to be legal.

Do you know what makes a handgun Canada legal? Also there is the aspect of importing them. I'm wanting to know what I can keep that I've spent a lifetime acquiring.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:31 AM   #2
gwnorth

Personally, this is not something I'd be taking advice on from a web forum.

There is detailed information available from Canadian Government and law enforcement web sites:

e.g. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/p.../hl-fs-eng.htm

Note that all non-prohibited handguns are "restricted" weapons, and require both licensing and registration.

If importing, and especially if by a non-citizen, I would consult a Canadian lawyer and a gunshop in Canada about the requrements and the process (there is bound to be a TON of paperwork required, at the very least).

Minimum pistol barrel length is 105mm, and .25 and .32 are prohibited calibers.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:45 AM   #3
jason_iowa

I agree. I know nothing about gun laws in Canada. I don't know gun laws in half the of the states lol. Talking to a lawyer in Canada sounds like about the best advice. Get some base line info and go from there. Good luck!
Old December 15, 2012, 12:05 PM   #4
SDC

To start with, you need a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL), which is issued after passing a safety course and practical test and a minimum 1-month wait; that's for all guns. Handguns or anything deemed to be a "restricted"weapon requires you to be a member of a target-shooting club, and the restricted weapons you own can only be taken back and forth to a range under a separate Authorization to Transport (ATT). There is no CCW in canada, unless you happen to be one of the privileged few considered to be "important" enough that you can be trusted to protect yourself. Starting from scratch today, the only legal handguns available are those with a barrel 105mm or longer, in calibres other than .25 or .32, and with magazines of 10 rounds or less, but there are also handguns that have been deemed "prohibited" simply because they look "mean" (TEC, MAC, etc.)