The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 6, 2010, 12:41 AM   #1
charleym3

synthetic rifle stocks

I've searched the web, looking for synthetic stocks for an 1892 short rifle. Can someone tell me if they exist and where to find them. The stock on my 1892 is split on the bottom where it contacts the back of the receiver. I could probably fix it, but I'm interested in getting synthetic replacements.
Old November 6, 2010, 07:49 AM   #2
hooligan1

Try Stocky's gunstocks, and there is McMillian, Hogue, etc. Bell and Carlson.
Old November 8, 2010, 11:20 AM   #3
charleym3

Couldn't find what I was looking for on the site, so I sent email. The don't have any Lever gun stocks and don't have any ideas for where I should shop. I checked the websites of all the manufactures you listed. They don't catalog any lever gun stocks either. Looks like repairing the old one is the way I'm going to have to go. Thanks for the input.
Old November 8, 2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

I'm guessing you're talking about a Winchester 1892 or clone?
The only levergun stocks I've ever seen are for Win 94s and Marlin 336s. There aren't too many people interested in restocking lever rifles in the first place,and probably fewer who want to synthetic restock rifles that are either antiques or used mainly in cowboy action where a traditonal wood stock is going to be the norm.
It's sort of like insisting on a polished walnut stock for your brand new FN P90.

Why not just get a new walnut stock?
My first recommendations would be gunparts corporation (Numrich Arms), Brownells and Midway for finding a new stock.

If you had to restock it with a synthetic, try a Ramline Win 94 stock injection molded stock. You could possibly inlet that to fit a 92.
Old November 8, 2010, 03:06 PM   #5
charleym3

correct

The rifle is a stainless EMF 1892 short rifle. I was thinking that a maintenance free stock would be a natural for a maintenance free finish.
EMF offered to replace it for right at $100. If I can find someone who can adjust the inletting, I think pumping it full of glue and clamping it back together is a good answer.
I'd been shooting it all summer before I discovered the crack, so it's pretty well hidden, and I'm pretty unobservant sometimes. Just ask my future Ex.
When I discovered the split, I took the stock off and the split closed up.

And on something completely different, is it much trouble to modify a Lever gun to handle shorter ammunition of the same caliber? I've toyed many times with the idea of running 45AutoRim ammunition in the 45LC rifle. Of course the chamber will need to be modified for the hugh rim on the AR. I like being a little different.
Old November 8, 2010, 04:44 PM   #6
thekyrifleman

Try MPI...Located in Oregon...They will do synthetics for lever actions.
Old November 10, 2010, 09:46 PM   #7
publius

Why not just shoot .45 S&W if you want a shorter cartridge. You won't have to modify the gun.
Old November 21, 2010, 02:08 AM   #8
lefteyedom

Rattle Can it Baby!

If you want a low maintenance finish get some rattle can stone chip paint from Wal-mart.

My $50 H&R single shot 12 gauge truck gun is was done this way. It works great and grips really well. If it gets scraped, a shot of paint is all it take to restore its glory!

The crack can be easly fix with Gorilla glue before painting.
Old November 21, 2010, 07:32 AM   #9
jmr40

I've seen 2 different manufacturers make synthetic for leverguns. Only for Marlin and Winchester 94's. One was a cheap piece of junk, the other cost about 2X what the rifle cost. I'd just keep the wood on a levergun.

I did read a post from a guy who lived in Alaska a few years ago. He painted his stainless guide gun stock with the stuff used for spray in truck bed liners. Looked ugly as sin, but tough as nails. Just a thought.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:34 AM   #10
kaylorinhi

Back to life...

Evening, I am wondering if anyone has found a manufacturer of synthetic stocks for the 92 series and clones yet. I searched but could not find and will not have the rifle in my hands for some ten months as I am not in a country that has a Second Amendment. Thank you for any insight you have.

Kaylorinhi

Tags
1892 , charley , stock