The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 28, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1
myshoulderissore

Weaver Classic K 4x38

Ok, so I am currently in need of a new scope... I was originally looking at $300-400 range, 3(ish)-9(ish) power. Some I was looking at were Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36, Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x40, etc. Today I got to look through a 2 year old Weaver K4, and was truly impressed. I started thinking about how little I use zoom anyway, and looked at the price of the Weaver, and my jaw dropped.

So, for about $130, WAY less than my original budget (and able to do it now, rather than right before deer season), I can get a fixed 4x scope with great performance. It would be going on a Savage 111 7mm Rem Mag, and I was wondering how it would hold up. Is this a good choice, or what?

A few things I have found that are going for it... Great optical quality, 9.5mm exit pupil, no zoom ring to check (ocd), and out of maybe 50 reviews I have found in different spots, no one really has much bad to say about it...

So, opinions, etc?
Old April 29, 2012, 01:11 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Years ago my brother pointed out the virtues of the Weaver K-4. It is a good scope for the money.
Old May 1, 2012, 05:29 PM   #3
huntinaz

I haven't shot a new K-4 but I have a few old steel tube K-4s that are still going strong. If they are as good or better than the old ones, then they are worth every penny of $130. I'll have to try one eventually. I'm happy with my newish Weaver V3 so far.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:24 PM   #4
myshoulderissore

Ok, just got it from UPS, B&H has obviously dealt with them before. Came in a huge box, which was nearly obliterated, but inside was about 500 cubic feet of bubble paper, so the scope was undamaged.

I went outside immediately and played with it, and I am very impressed. I haven't had a good (high dollar/value) scope before, and I am a convert! I don't know how this compares to Zeiss, Swaro, S&B, etc., but I know it is worlds better than my old Whitetail Classic or any others I have had!

Crystal clear images, great resolution, perfect colors, I don't know what else to say. Kinda sucks I am not able to put it on my rifle for a bit, I am bedding the action this weekend. I can't say enough about this scope, though, I'll never buy another lesser scope, especially when this is just over $100!
Old May 12, 2012, 12:07 AM   #5
myshoulderissore

I've been checking it out now for an hour at night, and it's a dark shadow indeed that I can't see into with this beast. I can see very good WELL past what would be legal hunting times. I can't wait to finish my rifle work and get this on and sighted in! My only regret so far is not looking at fixed power scopes (Weaver K4 specifically) before now! Such nice optics!
Old May 12, 2012, 10:42 AM   #6
JerryM

[I can see very good WELL past what would be legal hunting times.]

That is enough. I used a K4 on various rifles including .300 Wby Mag and 338/06 for years without problems. I don not know about the new ones.

I never warmed up to 50mm objective lens, and high power variables.
My one variable is a Leupold VX III 2.5x8.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:38 PM   #7
PawPaw

I like a fixed power scope, just one less thing to piddle with in the woods. My .30-06 has a Weaver K6 and I've never felt like I needed a stronger optic on it for hunting. It's been dropped from deer stands, bounces around on a 4-wheeler and generally takes the same beating I do when we're in the woods. It's been holding zero since 2006 and looks like it will continue to serve for the immediate future.

When I went shopping for a scope for my .30-30, I looked for a Weaver K4 but couldn't find one locally. I bought a Nikon fixed 4 power and that is a very nice scope as well.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com