The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 2011, 05:18 PM   #1
emm

Remington 1100 410: barrel will not go all the way in receiver?

Brand new, bought today, Remington 1100 410. When inserting the barrel into the receiver it will not go past the block of metal that is attached to the magazine tube--looks as if something has not been machined correctly.

Has anyone ever experienced this--would be returning to shop but they have closed so will have to wait till Monday...
Old October 22, 2011, 05:31 PM   #2
zippy13

Basic question #1: Have you read the manual?
Basic question #2: Is the block of metal attached to the mag tube the magazine cap?
Old October 22, 2011, 05:48 PM   #3
emm

1. Have read manual and although not a shotgun man, have owned several 870 and barrel always easy on and off.

2. Tried to put together a quick picture (this is not the actual firearm, the actual is not available right the second). The red arrow points to the block I was talking about. Under the chamber area of the barrel there is a section that has a flat spot but then it gets larger toward the rear end of the chamber. The block area is concaved at the front but not large enough for the chamber area to pass through...

I will try to get better pictures on Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem1100-410 Barrel.jpg (53.9 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by emm; October 22, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old October 23, 2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Goatwhiskers

Looks to me like the barrel support. Allow the action bars to go forward and the barrel should seat. Goat
Old October 24, 2011, 01:32 PM   #5
BigJimP

On some semi-autos ...there is a "sweet spot" where you have to hold the bolt back a little ...so the barrel tang will slip into the receiver.../ in fact its true on many pump guns as well. So its probably a matter of holding that bolt back ( but don't lock it all the way back ) ....and letting it seat in there.

Take it to a gun club --- where there are a lot of old 1100 guys around ( most anyone over 40 yrs old ) ...and they'll look at it for you.
Old October 24, 2011, 01:40 PM   #6
oneounceload

Is the action opened and locked back?

If you are trying to insert the barrel with the bolt forward, it isn't going to go.
Old October 24, 2011, 03:49 PM   #7
OkieCruffler

That's what I was wondering. Took me about 2 hours to figure out that the action had to be open.