The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 31, 2000, 05:30 AM   #1
Oldspeed

Hello,
I have always wondered what the Pros and Cons were on the twisted double wire recoil spring used by Sig and the flat coil spring used by Glock? Does either hold spring tension better and have less set than a conventional single round wire recoil spring? Both seem like they would require very specialized equipment to manufacture and there must be a purpose? Many guys replace both with Wolff round single coil springs as Wolff offers various spring weights. If spring tension were the same which is the best tyoe of spring and why?
Thanks
Old March 31, 2000, 10:24 PM   #2
noodles

I read somewhere that the reason Glock switched to the flat spring was because it last longer before needing replacing!
Old April 1, 2000, 09:53 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

A flat coil allows more coils with the same amount of space for the compressed spring, and I suspect this is the reason several makers use them. The Glock's Austrian ancestry may be showing, also. The 1911-1912 Steyr-Hahn uses a flat spring.

Jim