The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 9, 2015, 12:16 PM   #1
TnTnTn

No love for the Beretta px4?

I just ordered a px4 in .45acp but almost never see any threads on px4s around here. I liked the way the pistol feels in the hand, the sa/da/decocker action and the quality of manufacture. Hopefully it will shoot well and I will still have a favorable opinion after owning/shooting it for awhile. Do any of you own the 45 version?
Old July 9, 2015, 12:25 PM   #2
skizzums

stepdad has one in .40. it's a really nice gun and shoots very well, deste being a .40. not sure why it's not more popular. even myself have;t really had the desire to buy one even though i know it's a pretty nice piece. i guess it feels larger to me than guns of the same type/style and even though looks shouldn't matter, it doesn't pique my aesthetic interest
Old July 9, 2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Whirlwind06

If I came across a .45, I would get it funds allowing.
I have the 9mm full size and the 9mm Sub Compact they are nice pistols. I have the SC up for sale but I'm thinking of keeping it. I seem to carry the full size more then the SC.

The DA/SA hammer fired guns, just aren't whats in demand now. Beretta came has a type "C" model (constant action trigger) with a smooth slide and a DAO model as well. But you don't see them as much, and I don't know if they have the "C" model in .45. I'm not sure which company came out with the different size back straps but the PX4 has to be one of the first. Now most come with that standard, but Beretta was in front of the pack. It's also a very modular system, the whole hammer group can be swapped out. If wanted to I could make my type F into a C but it would still have the decocker on the slide.
Old July 9, 2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Banger357

I think they're great. Most comfortable gun I've ever held- love the ergonomics. Beretta is a solid company, and that particular design has been around a long time (it's the same thing as a Stoeger Cougar basically) so any kinks are worked out of the system.
Old July 9, 2015, 02:57 PM   #5
Cyanide971

Not a .45, but a 9mm "D" model and love it. Mine is very accurate, though a little large for IWB (at times), but can't argue with a smooth DAO trigger and 17+1 standard, and a 20+1 option. Just wish that Beretta would've made the Compact and Subcompact models with a DAO option....

Old July 9, 2015, 03:21 PM   #6
zincwarrior

The Wife's 9mm compact has the smoothest non tweeked DA/SA trigger I've shot. The DA doesn't have the long draw of the 92 and relatively light pull. Accurate for its size with excellent production sights. I don't know if its the rotary bolt or what but the felt recoil is very low compared to my M&Ps.

I will not the mag release is also switchable-very good if you are left handed like she is.
Old July 9, 2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Guv

I had a 40 sub compact and loved it! I just wanted a pristine 2 1/2" S&W 66-2 more. I will get another one though.
Old July 9, 2015, 07:35 PM   #8
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I have one in .45 and its a good gun---I plan on getting a couple more of the 9 round mags----the 10 rounders make the gun seem a lot bigger even though not really.

I had a subcompact in 9mm that wouldn't shoot to point of aim--so traded it off---it functioned just fine otherwise. The subs also use a standard barrel system vs the rotating barrel and are American made vs Italian made.
-------Metallica
Old July 9, 2015, 09:08 PM   #9
6mm

I might have few, all 9mm's

Old July 9, 2015, 11:35 PM   #10
ferrarif1fan

Got a full sized and Compact in 9mm. Love them both. I also think the felt recoil is pretty tame, especially for the Compact. The PX4 is also very accurate.

I saw that the Dept. of Defense is starting a competition to replace the Beretta M9. Beretta ought to tweak the PX4 and smoke the competition again.
Old July 9, 2015, 11:55 PM   #11
OcelotZ3

Have a full size & compact in 9mm and like them both. Nice looking, reliable, what's not to like?
Old July 10, 2015, 04:49 AM   #12
roman3

I had a couple and they were good guns. I replaced the Batwings with the smooth sided decock lever and that made the gun nice and smooth.

Later picked up a C model. Sort of the "glock type trigger" attempt. But like the HK LEM trigger not Glock enough.

For whatever reason these guns just never took off like some other polymers, but are good guns.

The rotating barrel was just not enough of a selling point I guess. Also the 45 has a 10 round capacity, when some competitors have more? May not have helped sales.
Old July 10, 2015, 07:05 AM   #13
jasmith85

I had a PX4 in 45, but ended up selling it. I really liked the gun, but the 10 round capacity killed it for me. I am still very happy with my PX4 in 9mm though.
Old July 10, 2015, 08:00 AM   #14
Cosmodragoon

The PX4 is a cool gun but I never quite warmed up to the little wingding of a safety lever hanging off the slide. Luckily, there is an aftermarket low-profile replacement for it.

A CX4/PX4 combo is definitely on my wish list.
Old July 10, 2015, 08:07 AM   #15
cslinger

CX4 / PX4 combo here in 9mm and I love EM both. The PX4 was an impulse purchase years ago and was so cheap I had to try it. Wow it turned out to be way more pistol then the cost. Now one has to be a hammer fired kind of person which I am. I shoot everything but DA/SA has always been my first love with SIGS or revolvers so I actually am not really handicapped by this and actually tend to work harder shooting striker fired or single action stuff.

At any rate I have found my PX4 to be a great pistola.
Old July 10, 2015, 11:37 AM   #16
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
Now one has to be a hammer fired kind of person which I am. I shoot everything but DA/SA has always been my first love......and actually tend to work harder shooting striker fired or single action stuff.
Right there with ya cslinger! First love was my issued M9, followed by a 96D Centurion and then one of the first year's production Stoeger Cougars after Beretta shipped everything to Turkey.

Out of my current collection of five pistols, which has been rather large and varied over the last couple of years, I've only one that isn't a DAO now lol
Old July 10, 2015, 08:20 PM   #17
shootniron

Why no love?

It is a fat pig.
Old July 10, 2015, 09:13 PM   #18
TnTnTn

Thanks for your thoughts-seems like the px4 is pretty well liked by most who have experience with it. It does seem to fly under the radar for the most part however.
Old July 10, 2015, 10:18 PM   #19
Fullclip610

I was thinking about a compact or subcompact px4 9 a few months back. But the SC is so odd looking for some reason to me. I ended up w a P07. Still like berettas though
Old July 14, 2015, 11:11 AM   #20
jimbear

I had a Px4 compact in 9 for a little while but sold it. I couldn't put my finger on it but it just seemed to be missing something. The rotating barrel also leads to a very tall slide which doesn't look very good on the non-ejection-port side. I also disliked the safety wings.
Old July 14, 2015, 11:35 AM   #21
Guv

Oink Oink