The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: actual experience with taurus
Never owned one, but would if the right deal came along 42 11.76%
never owned one and never will 22 6.16%
owed/still own taurus handguns with no issues 198 55.46%
owned/still own taurus hanguns with problems 95 26.61%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 6, 2013, 01:15 AM   #76
JohnKSa
Staff

I must say that the poll results surprised me.

Of the 126 persons who have responded so far that they have owned a Taurus, 45 of them (36%) have owned a problem Taurus.

Those are not good odds.
Old February 6, 2013, 03:10 AM   #77
SgtLumpy

I've shot many, many magazines and cylinders full of ammo through Taurus copies of S&W and Beretta pistols. Not one of the Taurus guns were anything I'd trust my life with. Particularlly the Beretta 92FS copies. I've shot maybe a dozen of those. Compared to the real Beretta, every one of the T guns were crapola. Rough trigger, rough slide, FTEs with the same ammo that didn't cause FTEs in the Beretta, yada yada.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 6, 2013, 06:25 AM   #78
4runnerman

I must say that the poll results surprised me.

Of the 126 persons who have responded so far that they have owned a Taurus, 45 of them (36%) have owned a problem Taurus.

Those are not good odds

John-- I bet you could post this for any other brand and be very close to the same response level.

Go to google and type in problems with ???? any other brand. You will find thousands and thousands of hits on all brands.

Case in point--HI Point-- I would put one up against anything you could find. After the dust has settled,The only thing you could walk away and say is---Well his is uglier than mine.

Last edited by 4runnerman; February 6, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:39 AM   #79
Paul81

This is pretty disheartening
I was looking at the 709 slim to carry. It's the perfect size and has the features I want. And the price can't be beat. I've always thought along the lines of, for every unhappy customers there's a 100 happy ones you never hear from. But this is mainly 3 pages of bad.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:47 AM   #80
EMH

My dad has a Taurus semi-auto full size pistol (can't remember the model number PT-80 or something?). It is a piece of junk.
He put maybe 50 rounds through it and asked me to shoot it.
The problem is that if you don't keep your hand underneath the magazine, the magazine will actually fall out when you're shooting. It does this every time.
Also, it jams a lot too. Not worth the money.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:04 AM   #81
jon_in_wv

My opinion, for what its worth, is the Taurus 92 series (Beretta Clones) and their revolvers are fine weapons. I wouldn't touch anything else they make. Their customer service is terrible and they just seem to make way too many lemons to take the risk of having to deal with them.

Quote:
Where are the other options?
-"Owned, but dropped that crap like a bad habit"
-"Still own, but only because I can't sell it"
I had to laugh at this one. I still own a PT22 that has been back to Taurus twice before I just gave up on it. It sits in the safe because I couldn't sell it in good faith and I hate to just throw it away. The fact Taurus even sold that piece of crap told me enough about the company that I have never bought another Taurus.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:43 AM   #82
EMH

Don't give your money to a crap Brazilian company, imo.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:02 AM   #83
eldermike

The 92 series was set up and produced in Brazil by Beretta to build for their military, it was then later sold to Taurus. I agree that it's fair to seperate this out from the rest of the line. I have one of the Taurus 92 series and it's as good as any auto-loader I own. But I still put a model 60 S/W on when I carry simply based on the idea that loaded rounds are the operating engine of all semi-auto loading pistols and I trust these less than I trust the guns.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:14 AM   #84
Lordy123

I own a Model 66 .357, an older made in Brazil stamped model. I freaking love that gun. I just got a newer Taurus M327, and the quality doesn't feel the same, but no issues with it so far.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:42 AM   #85
bird_dog

Quote:
Don't give your money to a crap Brazilian company, imo.
Spoken like a true patriot....who probably owns a boatload of Chinese, Japanese and various other gizmos.

I've loved all my Taurus guns, never a problem.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:17 PM   #86
bikerbill

Have owned three Taurus guns, two were great, one needed a bit of help ... my first handgun, back 20 years or so, was a steel 85, still have it, still works perfectly ... Also owned a PT-25, also problem-free, sold it ... Still have a 617 which locked up tighter than a drum after 20 or so rounds ... rather than send it to the company, I took it to a local 'smith who opened the cylinder-barrel gap a tad and gave it a lovely trigger job ... has worked perfectly in the three years since, it's now one of my home defense guns ... Taurus makes a lot of guns to a price and not all of them are going to be perfect; that's why you don't holster a brand-new gun without testing it ... but I'm pretty happy with what I've had from them, all in all and certainly would consider one again ...
Old February 6, 2013, 02:09 PM   #87
EMH

Quote:
Spoken like a true patriot....who probably owns a boatload of Chinese, Japanese and various other gizmos.

I've loved all my Taurus guns, never a problem.
No... that's not what I meant. There are plenty of great foreign companies and plenty of crappy ones. Taurus is one of the crappy ones. For every good story you hear about the company, there's 3 more horror stories.
Old February 6, 2013, 03:32 PM   #88
Paul81

Ok let me ask this, from what I can find and heard Taurus have made a lot of improvements and don't have the same issues as years past.

How many of these bad experiences are from the last couple yrs?

I've not found much negative on the 709 I'm looking at.
Old February 6, 2013, 03:34 PM   #89
4runnerman

For every good story you hear about the company, there's 3 more horror stories.

Not according to the poll above. Just the reverse of what you state
Old February 6, 2013, 04:50 PM   #90
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul81 View Post
Ok let me ask this, from what I can find and heard Taurus have made a lot of improvements and don't have the same issues as years past.

How many of these bad experiences are from the last couple yrs?

I've not found much negative on the 709 I'm looking at.
As much as I dislike Taurus, the 709 is one of the better-executed designs. I see very few complaints on them.

Taurus has indeed improved over the last few years, but unfortunately they failed my family members three times and that's past the point I'm willing to forgive. I have no use for an unreliable firearm.

Of the six firearms I own, going back 5 years of ownership, I have had roughly 12 malfunctions, all of which were attributable to me.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:12 PM   #91
bonefamily

Paul81 - the 709 has been on my list as well From what I have read about it, there has been more good than bad.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:35 PM   #92
James K
Member In Memoriam

I had not gotten into this poll because I do not own a Taurus, but I am rather astonished by the number of problems reported. Not of the "I heard someone say" type, but from actual owners. I will repeat what I have said before. Taurus uses good material and their designs are excellent. Their failing is in production and quality control. Until they get those problems straightened out, a Taurus seems to be a crap shoot. Still, if you know how to check out a revolver in the store, and can get a firm, preferably written, guarantee from the store (not from Taurus), you can probably get a very good gun at a very good price. Otherwise, save the pennies and buy a make with a better reputation.

Jim
Old February 6, 2013, 05:40 PM   #93
Water-Man

I own a Taurus M450 2" s/s .45Colt Ported.

No problems although it doesn't get used much.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:20 PM   #94
mlw270win

I have a PT 99 and 2 revolvers 431 and 441 that I bought new back in the 90's. They all function great and never had any problems with them.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:11 PM   #95
cole k

I bought one back in the mid 1970's, it had a problem and was recalled.
I sent it back and 10 months I got it back.
The pistol still had the same problem.
I then sold the pistol to a man that new of the problem and how to fix it!!!
Several years later, I saw the man again and he told me how many pistol matchs he had won using that pistol.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:34 PM   #96
glove

PT-140, PT-111, TCP-738 All run perfect never a problem. Now I am looking for a PT-709 slim.
anyway.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:35 PM   #97
Paul81

Quote:
Now I am looking for a PT-709 slim.
I've found a couple in different price ranges.
With one mag for $410... Ouch
Another for $309 I'm assuming one mag.
Just waiting to collect some money owed to me.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:20 PM   #98
9mm

I really don't see cost issue much, I recall Taurus revolvers are $320-$400 depending on the shop. I paid $400 for my S&W 642, and a family member bought the 442 model for $350 a year before I got mine. Taurus was sitting on the shelf forabout the same price.

The Taurus 709 is what? $320-$380? Ruger LC9 runs $379.99 and is a much better gun for $50 more.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:51 PM   #99
Gazpacho

I own 3 Taurus handguns:
M85 - no problems, excellent trigger
M850 - no problems, excellent trigger
M94 - cylinder jammed from the start. Service took 2 weeks. No problems since. Trigger is heavy.

I also own 4 Taurus rifles, all which have been flawless.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:19 PM   #100
Paul81

[QUOTE]The Taurus 709 is what? $320-$380? Ruger LC9 runs $379.99 and is a much better gun for $50 more.[QUOTE]

I've got my eye in that one as well. Havnt found one locally... Yet..
I do know the Taurus just felt right in my hand.
As far as price LC9 $400 with 2mags, 709 $310 one mag. So ya basically a $50 difference.
I'll end up with the most comfortable in my hands

Sorry for highjacking the thread.
Back to the testimonies/bashing