The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 17, 2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Big Mac

Getting a 37mm flare launcher on....

An AK-47? I've seen it advertised, anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking to customize my AK and that perked my interest regarding a 37mm launcher. Is it worth it?
Old July 17, 2006, 07:16 PM   #2
shaggy

Not really NFA but...

Unless you have some real love of shooting 37mm flares, or you just want to up the cool factor with those who don't know any better, I would leave it off the gun. I've never shot one on an AK, but I have from an AR15 and they really aren't worth it IMHO. The ones I've seen and handled are usually made cheaply and don't hold to the weapon very securely. Additionally, they add a significant amount of weight and bulk to the gun. Thus the launcher becomes like a very loose fitting handguard when you shoot the rifle, so you have less control than you would with a regular handguard. That is not to say they are all bad, but unless you're going to get something built to the same standards as a real 40mm military unit, I'd either forget it or just geta separate stand-alone 37mm launcher.
Old July 17, 2006, 11:41 PM   #3
Big Mac

Good point. Well how about this set up? I think my WASR-10 (what I've read off the receiver ) can possibly handle these attachments. I'm assuming it's a stamped receiver because it seems to have the rivets that sites have mentioned. I'm also looking at putting a better muzzle brake on it but I think it might not be threaded to allow it. If not, not big deal. Not that recoil/jump is unbearable but it wouldn't hurt to reduce it.

http://www.firequest.com/catalog/TK447moreinfo.html
Old July 18, 2006, 11:33 AM   #4
shaggy

Yup, the WSAR is stamped, so it will probably fit, but contact the seller/manufacturer to verify. There are differences in stamped AK receivers so before you plunk down your money, you should be sure it will fit the type you have. For example, I have a couple Norinco MAK90s - one has a receiver that is straight cut at the back, one has a slant cut at the back. Obviously, even though they are both stamped AKs (and even by the same manufacturer - Norinco) they would need different stocks to match up with the cut of the rear of the receiver.
Old July 18, 2006, 01:48 PM   #5
kozak6

I've read nasty things about that stock breaking.

The adaptors/mounts I have seen to put 37mm's on AK's all look clumsy and fragile.

Here are some pictures:
http://37mm.com/lotw/
Old July 18, 2006, 03:03 PM   #6
SpookBoy

I'd go rith the ar15 stock if I was in your shoes.

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old July 19, 2006, 11:04 PM   #7
Big Mac

Oh that looks nice. Does it have th compartment like the AR-15? If so I'm thinking of putting on of those special weights that go into that compartment to help with balance and reduce recoil.