The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 27, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1
MLeake

The Rifle on the Wall - Take Two

The OP of the first thread was new, and apparently had not read the drive-by rule.

The thing is, the essay he linked to was really a good read, so I felt I should try to revive it.

This is one of the best examples I have seen of the ideal pro-gun argument to offer antis who consider themselves liberals or progressives.

http://www.thepolemicist.net/2013/01...t-for-gun.html
Old February 27, 2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, I haven't read the article yet, but this one clears the drive-by hurdle.
Old February 27, 2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Scouse

Bloody long article, glad you reposted it as a non-drive by, nice work.

Very, very interesting though. Not a commonly heard perspective on these things.

MLeake - I reckon I would respectfully disagree with you that this is likely to appeal to people who consider themselves Liberals or Progressives, this article is Left in the real, old fashioned sense, not in the sense of US Liberals. I got quite a disparaging tone towards western Liberals from the article. It will certainly appeal to some people who perhaps don't commonly associate themselves with issues like this.

I for one, love that Orwell line about the rifle hanging on the wall of the working class home, absolute beauty of a quote.
Old February 27, 2013, 04:52 PM   #4
OPC

It is well written, and maybe more importantly, well structured. There are few RKBA ideas presented here that are completely new to me, but many new ideas (to me) about the hypocritical basis of liberal opposition and pacifism that merit more thought.

Also, the role of police ("quasi-professional caste" ) in society was described in a way I'd never encountered. I don't fully agree with his assertions that police serve the purpose of 'augmenting', not absolving, civil responsibilities.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Evan Thomas

Thanks for resurrecting this, MLeake.

It's a good piece, in that it's thoughtful and goes deeper than the usual sound-bites and buzzwords.

I wish, though, that the author didn't engage in so much bashing of "American liberals;" that's not a tactic that's going to win over anyone who considers himself liberal or progressive. We need to remember that there are those on the left (I'm one of them) who support gun rights, just as some on the right do not.

If you want something to show "antis who consider themselves liberals or progressives," here's an article that does a much better job of presenting a "lefty" take on renewing the assault weapons ban. Note especially how the author, who describes himself as "a leftist who loves guns," criticizes the deceptive tactics of the Brady Campaign (or "Handgun Control, Inc.," or whatever they're calling themselves these days):

"With intentionally dishonest lobbying groups pushing already-failed legislation while calling it a “stepping stone”, we can see the slippery slope right in front of our feet."

Anyone here have a problem with this statement? I didn't think so.

[MOD HAT] This thread is walking a thin line, but I'm going to let it run as long as the focus is on ways we can unite in spite of these labels, and reach out to people on the other side in civil and thoughtful ways. Divisive comments, political invective, or discussion of party politics will close it very quickly.[/MOD HAT]