The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2004, 03:26 AM   #1
ZWolfgang

Need help w/loads using Universal & Longshot

I've got a bunch of reloading data reference material but there is little to nothing covering Universal Clays or Longshot for .357.

Can anyone post the suggested min/max loads for a 140 gr. JHP bullet (.357 caliber) using Universal and Longshot powders? The Hodgdon website isn't any help with this bullet/powder either. Thanks so much.
Old December 28, 2004, 07:13 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Use the data from the 146g bullet.

Recommend not pushing Universal Clays to MAX! in 357; stay just under.

Still experimenting with Longshot........
Old December 29, 2004, 04:42 AM   #3
ZWolfgang

I tried Universal powder tonight with my 3" .357. pushing 140 gr. bullets.

6.5 gr. of Universal is listed as the MAX loading and I decided to test there. I know, not the "proper" approach, but one I felk ok with it anyway.

With the Rainier 140 gr. plated FP bullet a got a disappointing 884 fps from my .357 mag. 3" barrel. I could certainly feel that the load was well on the wimpy side as well. And that's what Hodgdon lists as MAX for this bullet. Looking at the primers, I could probably go a little higher, but I'll call it good at that.

Universal seemed to burn a little cleaner than AA#5, but the flash seemed comparable to AA#5... not super bright like PowerPistol, but moderate, not low. Neither Universal nor AA#5 can approach PP for clean burning. But PP flashes like a mutha.

Using Speer 140 gr. JHP bullets, I got much more consistent results than I got with the plated bullets and the average was higher: 929 fps from the 3" barrel. Not bad, but I was hoping to get at least 1075 or 1100. I guess this won't be my power either.

Here's another # of powder I will have to try to find some use for down the road when I need something really watered down like Cowboy loads... yes... that's the ticket, Cowboy Loads!

How long can one keep powder before it goes bad, anyway? ;-)

I think my move is back to Power Pistol... but I'm still going to wait for Weshoot's evaluation of Longshot before settling in with PowerPistol. Does Longshot develop more power than Universal?
Old December 29, 2004, 05:13 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

Thump! in th 357

Whatcha tryin' to do?

AA9 / H110 / W296........?
Old December 29, 2004, 06:01 AM   #5
ZWolfgang

Weshoot...

Bullet: 140 gr. Hornady XTP/JHP
Desired velocity from 3" barrel: 1150 to 1200

Desired powder qualities:
•meter nicely in Dillon 550
•burn more quickly than slow powders (2400, H-110, etc.) for use in 3" and 2.5" barrels
•burn very cleanly (practice in close quarters)
•low flash (if used in defensive situation)
•give 1150-1200 fps with 140 gr. from 3" barrel

This load will primarily be my practice load to come close to duplicating factory Winchester 145 gr. Silvertip ammo which clocks from my 2.5" M66 at 1241 and from the M13 and M65 3" tubes at 1307.

So far I've found PowerPistol does all of those things, except has bright flash. But I can live with that as it does everything else so beautifully! It's a great powder.
Old December 29, 2004, 06:23 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

false

Slower burners produce the highest velocities in short revolver barrels.
While PP is very good in the medium-speed range, still highly recommend fooling around with Vihta N350, 3N37, and N110 (all exceedingly low flash), Accurate AA9, and the H110/W296 family.

Excellent bullet.........