The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 11, 2006, 08:41 PM   #1
mossie3

How do you polish the feed ramp?

I've heard it would make feeding more reliable. Any advise on how to do it?
Old April 11, 2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Magyar

You might look at this to give you an idea of what's involved.
http://www.recguns.com/Sources/XK2.html

Personally, I use aluminum oxide, a lapidary compound that I use in polishing silver, turquoise, etc.. with a small, cylindrical buffing wheel...Don't over do it!
Old April 12, 2006, 12:05 AM   #3
shooter_john

Dremel Tool

VERY CAREFULLY, polish it with the little white Dremel polishing pads and some polishing compound. That is my preferred method.
But always remeber, Dremel tools have ruined a lot of guns.
Old April 12, 2006, 07:59 PM   #4
snolden

I start with a pencil and use the eraser end. I stick the pencil in my cordless drill and just buff it out. Made my taurus take most hollow points that way.
Old April 12, 2006, 08:21 PM   #5
mete

Forget the Dremel , do it by hand. Anything more than 400 grit is just for show . Use a dowel, wrap a bit of 400 grit abrasive paper around it and carefully in and out [in the direction of the barrel ] to remove machining marks without changing the shape of the ramp.
Old April 12, 2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Socrates

500 rounds of ball ammo???
S
PS or, prior to firing, take the gun to your local Gunsmith, and let him work his majik...
Old April 12, 2006, 08:55 PM   #7
WRINCHSLINGER001

Strongly Agreeing With Socrates

I think that unless you have done work like this before and are really familiar with firearm mechanics you should shoot about 300 rds. of ball ammo in it or carry it to someone whom has polished before.
I say this in aggreance because I myself ruined a pistol before mastering the art of polishing.
If you stray and decide to try it anyway, remeber don't make it pretty. Make it smooth and thats it. I would definately say to stay away from the dremel. I like the 400 grit sandpaper idea. Hope this is of some help.
Old April 12, 2006, 10:23 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

beware power tools

using a dremel it is easy to go to far, without even realizing it. Best bet, take it to a smith. If you gun is feeding ok right now, don't bother. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Make sure the gun is fully "broken in", and running reliable with ball ammo. Then clean, lube, and start with the hollow points you wish to use. If you have feeding problems, try a different brand of ammo before you start working on the gun. Some guns have tool marks on the feed ramp, and still feed just fine. Some guns have smooth looking ramps, and won't feed certain bullet styles. try everything before you start tinkering with the gun, and if you do start tinkering, stay away from powere tools, unless you want to buy another barrel (or even a whole new gun )
Old April 12, 2006, 10:27 PM   #9
kymasabe

Me likes me Dremel.

Personally, I've polished feedramps with a Dremel before and as long as you use the soft, white, polishing pads, you can't screw it up. A couple of my Kel-Tecs needed some ramp work and while using 400 or 600 grit sandpaper improved feeding on one, the polishing was the final touch that made a difference. But, do it however you're comfortable...by hand is probably best...but I prefer the Dremel.

Last edited by kymasabe; April 13, 2006 at 05:55 AM.
Old April 12, 2006, 11:49 PM   #10
WRINCHSLINGER001

I would have to disagree with the last post, I have an apprenticeship in gunsmithing and have worked under one for quite some time. I screwed a pistol right up with a dremel doing this same exersise. If you take 0.001 of an inch off thats not suppose to be taken off, you'll have problems!
I was using the soft white polishing wheel when I made my mistake. It can be done.
Not trying to start some big argument, but I hate to see anybody ruin a good firearm.
Old April 13, 2006, 03:09 AM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Dremels have probably ruined more guns and knives than any tool. A Dremel does not make you a gunsmith. Take your gun to one if you have feeding problems. Dremels can be wonderful tools, but you have to know what you are doing.
Bill
Old April 13, 2006, 06:14 AM   #12
Rainbow Six

I've gotta go with the reply that said if it's not broke, don't fix it. Unless you're having problems with feeding, just say no to the dremel.

If you're having feeding problems take it to a qualified 'smith...

If you simply must fug with it, I'd suggest a super light rubbing with 400 grit paper as recommended by mete above. Do not put the dremel on it though, unless you're willing to ruin it.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Old April 13, 2006, 07:17 AM   #13
Hunter Customs

Is the gun having feed problems with the ammo you are wanting to use?
What type of gun is it?
If the gun is having feed problems there's several things that can contribute to this besides the feed ramp.
For polishing I use a brass round and fine grit paper.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old April 13, 2006, 07:49 AM   #14
nefshooter

I use the Dremel and flitz compound on all my trigger work i have had 0 problems. KBI 9mmhp feed ramp shoots what ever ammo i feed it.
Old April 13, 2006, 08:51 AM   #15
whitebb

Is it possible that some dremel users decide to polish at 10,000 rpm? I have dremel'd feed ramps with jewelers rouge and never had a problem. Of course I used the slowest speed. If in doubt about your ability, do it by hand! (which takes awhile, but works just as well)
Old April 13, 2006, 10:03 AM   #16
Edward429451

^Agreed. Some of those dremel owners may not have read the destruction manual and what it says about polishing...
Old April 13, 2006, 11:06 AM   #17
hikingman

Polish the Ramp

Okay, so my dremel tool was not used, the q-tips came out of the bathroom and by pressing down on the ramp/throat with the slide back (still installed) and accessed through the ejection port. First, dipped the q-tip in Flitz, and with cotton patches around the area to catch Flitz runoff, rubbed hard on the ramp and throat areas for about 5-6 minutes, while using multiple q-tips in the process and more Flitz. Afterwards, throroughly remove any residue with cotton patches, and clean q-tips, apply gun oil, or break-free, and then remove any residue from that.

She has ramped flawlessly with 470 rounds fired, I'm a believer. The dremel method is well worth considering, too. My handheld Dremel stayed in the drawer, and has two settings: 6,000 and 12,000 rpm and the low speed keeps my dog's nails groomed!
Old April 13, 2006, 11:13 AM   #18
HankC1

What if the feed ramp is chromed? Polishing chromed feed ramp would do anything or just make it worse by removing the chrome?

edit to add: I think my ARCUS barrel is hard chromed as a whole including the feed ramp.

Last edited by HankC1; April 13, 2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old April 13, 2006, 12:09 PM   #19
mete

Plating will be removed by polishing ! Plating is thin and any more than the slightest polishing will remove it. If you are going to have your gun plated all alteration such as polishing feed ramps, chamfering sharp corners etc ,should be done before the plating.
Old April 14, 2006, 01:00 PM   #20
Brian Williams

To polish my feed ramps I shoot the stuffing out of it. After about 1500 rounds it should be just fine....
Old April 17, 2006, 08:10 PM   #21
jailbait

my boss and i use crest tooth paste and a dremel. i have serious doubt about "removing" any metal when all you are doing is buffing it. there again, i'm just starting to learn about smithing.
Old April 21, 2006, 09:22 AM   #22
leckie66

unless theirs a problem leave it alone,,metalworking is an art and when inproperly done sticks out like a sore thumb to the trained eye and will devalue your firearm,,,shine is not the sign of good metalworking and unless you had experience at it give it to a good pistolsmith