The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
OhioRugerFan

Ruger 12ga

I saw a Ruger 12 Gauge -- 26" blued barrel Over-and-Under Shotgun in my local store.
It came with some kind of wood stock but I did not see any sight on it. The weight is around 9 Ibs??

A sexy looking beast that I want to bring it home until I saw the price tag...
$1,429 plus tax (and it was on sale, from $1699)!

For the price, is the 12 ga a rip off?
For the owners, how do you like them?

Last, should I do a layaway on it???

PS. I don't really know what will I be using them for...trap? hunting?

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. (c) 1789 U.S.A.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:45 AM   #2
joh56usa

I dunno a lot bout shotgun...but that [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] is def over price, get yourself a Benelli!

Join now!
http://gunowners.org/
Old March 3, 2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Waterengineer

First, you don't aim a shotgun (the way you do a rifle) you point it. Is there a "sight"? Typically, a bead or a tube-style, but I don't really think of it as a "sight."

The style of shotgun fashion has changed somewhat over the years. At one point a 26-inch gun was used for skeet but the current trend is got clay game guns to have longer barrels. The 26-inch barrels lighten the load for carying in the hunting field.

Personally, I wouldn't consider the Red Label. They are considered to have unreliable quality. Early renditions have been reported to have questionable triggers, and unreliable barrel selectors.

I think current models have been remedied.

Unfortunately, for what they offer, my opinion is the gun is over priced, new. I typically see used ones for $850 to $1K.

For the type of money the Red Label is you can very easily find a well thought of used Browning or Beretta.

And, from your post it reads that you may possibly be buying just to buy. You may want to consider taking a pass on this one and educating yourself about shotguns and what you need.
Old March 3, 2009, 03:41 PM   #4
dakotashooter2

The Red Label like Rugers other products is a "sturdy" field gun. I paid about $800 use for mine a few years back and consider it a good value in that price range. I think the new ones are priced a bit high and would spend my money on Berretta for a few buck more.

Some don't like O/Us for hunting becuse of the limitations of 2 shots but I have never found it to be a handicap. One of the the advantage of the O/U is the ability to utilize two different chokes. Another is a shorter overal length which can be an advantage if you are shooting from a blind or in heavy cover.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:25 PM   #5
texasbilly

Ruger 12

The Ruger Red Label is a fine gun. It is heavy, but it is reliable and rugged. No. it may not have the class of a Browning or a Beretta, but it will serve the owner for years.
Look for a good used one for around $800-$900. You will be pleased.