The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 22, 2013, 12:13 AM   #1
ZVP

a lifesaver!

Boy have my BP revolvers been lifesavers during this crazy ammo situation!
There have been several days when I went out to the Club and running low on RF's and not wanting to shoot up too much .38 Special, that I have turned to my BP guns to get in a good days shooting!
Nothing like passing a lazy afternoon slowly loading and capping my revolvers, the six shots went by just as fast as a CF would, but the relaxing charging sequence and low cost of shooting BP sure was a relief!
Locally, BP components haven't gone up much in price (except for the Wads). this made long sessions of shooting economical even compared to $50 boxes of rimfires!
I liked my BP revolvers before but now I just love em1
BPDave
Old November 22, 2013, 04:02 AM   #2
radom

Really cant beat that idea unless you get into rapid loading the things is all.
Old November 22, 2013, 06:56 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Primitive has its advantages. OK, cap 'n ball aren't primitive but it is more basic than a cartridge firearm.
Old November 22, 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
spitpatch

You can make your own wads. Old felt hat, last one I got at a flea mkt was .50 cents. You can get a set of punches at Harbor Freight for less than 10 bucks. Good flicks on You Tube on making wads.
Old November 22, 2013, 04:51 PM   #5
rclark

Use some cream of wheat for your wads.... That is what I use. Dip the powder charge, pour, dip the cream of wheat, pour, seat ball. I use lee dippers instead of the normal measure as normally I am standing over a bench anyway to reload.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.